SWAMP Community Forums
April 23, 2008, 12:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Alafia Trail Map available to SWAMPers!
The November 2006 trail map, which includes North Creek phase 2, is available in the Alafia Trail Map section under Alafia River State Park trails.  You must be a SWAMP Club Member to gain access to these additional boards.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Downtown Urban MTN Bike Race -April 12th  (Read 1077 times)
Red Trail Racing
First Bike

« on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:12 AM »

Thaz right. Red TRail Racing Presents...April 12th 2008. Downtown Lakeland Urban MTN bike race. Also the Free Riders will be displaying some sick skills on the biggger and badder Speed-Trials course.
Im looking at adding a little more sidewalk to the race as well.
We are getting some downtown support/discounts from some local bars/restuarants for participants as well.
Dont be scared..If you can ride down a few stairs and ride a sidewalk you will love this event!!
Gonna be a party!!!

Go git yer slicks!!!!!!!! :d

Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 09:35:10 AM »

Where do you sign up for this one?  Sounds like a blast!
Red Trail Racing
First Bike

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:35:22 PM »

Here is a little more info...

There are two events (April 12th). One is a Urban MTN bike criterium. The First event is basically a MTN Bike race on asphalt, concrete, stairs and a parking garage. The racers race up a 5 level parking garage then back down to street level over to city hall then going down the front steps of city hall to the blocked off street that takes racers downhill to the next staircase leading to Lake Mirror for another sidewalk climb to the turnaround point to head back to the parking garage to start the next lap. That race will run for one hour then we sound an alarm and give racers one last lap. The course is about ¾ mile but fast and fun. Most racers use a MTN bike with slick tires for traction and speed while many use knobbies as well. If you can ride down city/public grade stairs then you can compete and have fun at this race. Cash payout for serious divisions.

The second event is a great spectator event and you will want to bring your cameras for this one! We set up a 2x Speed Trials course for the talented Free Riders to showcase some skills and create some fast competition. Riders will compete on identical courses with various obstacles such as ramps and stunts. First one to the bottom is the winner. Using double elimination until a winner is crowned. Lots of big air from these guys.

Event Location:        Downtown Lake Mirror
                             501 East Lemon & Iowa Street
                             Lakeland FL 33801

Practice: 6-6:30pm

Race Fees:   (Sign up the day of event. No late fees) $25.00 –XC Urban Race     
                                                                         $25.00 –2x Speed Trials

MTB CRIT Classes:
Junior 18-under, Beginner Men, Expert/Sport Men, Over 40 (open class), Clydesdales.
*Beg Womans, *Serious Womans    * Min of 4 racers per class or both will combine for open class.

Join us downtown afterwards for the after race party!!
This event is in the heart of Lakeland’s downtown restaurant and pub district with plenty to do after the event.

Thanks for your interest!

Hope to see you at the race.

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

ss29erposer whoneedsknees nostandingup

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 12:49:24 PM »

I am in, but I think I will be riding with my geared bike with SLICKS!!!

Who else?

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

http://treadlight-mtb.blogspot.com/
http://pinoymtbiker.proboards7.com/index.cgi
mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:31:42 PM »

I'm probably in, I love bombing stairs.  What kind of slicks are we talking about here?  Any recommendations?
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

I'm probably in, I love bombing stairs.  What kind of slicks are we talking about here?  Any recommendations?
I have one I used last years "Trail-to-Trail" race which is similar to this http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=12701&subcategory_ID=5430

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous

Alan
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

I'm definately in.  Ordered my slicks yesterday (went with Schwalbe Kodaks size 26x2.0).
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 07:27:21 AM »

were is a good place in Tampa to practice riding stairs?  I want to see if I can go up and or down stairs before I sign up.  It seems like it would be harder to climb stairs than to go down them.

JasonD
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

I like to bike!

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

I did an "urban" ride last weekend w Sideshow. There are some decent stairs in Ybor (Centro Ybor especially, and one side building of the HCC campus) - we also rode a bit in Hyde Park (on Howard) and there were a few stairs there worth hitting (near the Panera).

Jason Daniels
Red Gary Fisher (HKEK / Big Sur Hybrid)
mksandoz
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:41:45 AM »

I used to live in Ybor and now I live by UT so I ride in the downtown area a lot.  There are lots of fun stairs to ride by the convention center  and by the site of the former-and-soon-to-be tampa art museum.  Also there is a fun, wide circular stairway by the performing arts center that I have only walked but want to ride.

I want to try my hand at 'riding' some parking garages, which i take to mean riding up and riding down, as at least one is included in the lakeland race course. 

Whatever happened to the urban rides that met at the davis islands tennis courts?  I thought they were swamp-affiliated, or organized by a swamper, or whatever.
SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

08 RL Flight SS29er

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »

Whatever happened to the urban rides that met at the davis islands tennis courts?  I thought they were swamp-affiliated, or organized by a swamper, or whatever.
Hey Mike,   That was like two years ago I think.  Dr. Rick tried to revive those last Spring with no luck.  Garry also had one in St. Pete but no follow up.  The only "urban" swamp affiliated ride is the once a month social urban ride through Temple Terrace.  Usually Ken Orlando (Gruff) has those and will soon start em I think.  It is more of a social ride since they go to CDB's after.  You can mix your own sidewalk, stairs, or whatever you see on the ride.  Most just go for the  ride thorugh the TT streets but do hit three off road trails.  USF, Mosi, and anther trail in TT by the golf course.  Look for it on the swamp email group.

treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »

were is a good place in Tampa to practice riding stairs?  I want to see if I can go up and or down stairs before I sign up.  It seems like it would be harder to climb stairs than to go down them.
Riding stairs down - Yes.

Riding stairs up - No Way.

Unless you know how to do this,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QPL_DUEZUQ

munkyknum
First Bike

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »

The post by Red Trail Racing says you're racing DOWN stairs. No mention of racing up them.

Now unless you're either stupid or just super manly and are planning on the course backwards, be my guest but I don't think you'll win.
flyingspaghetti
First Bike

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 02:05:07 PM »

The post by Red Trail Racing says you're racing DOWN stairs. No mention of racing up them.

Now unless you're either stupid or just super manly and are planning on the course backwards, be my guest but I don't think you'll win.
Its not stupid it just that they can do it.

Plus its a good skill to show off to your friend.
Red Trail Racing
First Bike

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 05:54:37 PM »

Downstairs only Wink

There are two events that evening. One is a Urban MTB criterium that is basically a mountain bike race on asphalt, concrete, stairs and a parking garage. Riders race up a 5 level parking garage then back down to street level over to city hall then going down the front steps of city hall to the blocked off street that takes racers downhill to the next staircase leading to Lake Mirror for another sidewalk climb to the turnaround point to head back to the parking garage to start the next lap. That race will run for one hour then we sound an alarm and give racers one last lap. The course is about a mile but fast and fun. Most racers use a MTN bike with slick tires for traction and speed while many use knobbies as well. If you can ride down city/public grade stairs then you can compete and have fun at this race. Cash payout for serious divisions.

The second event is a great spectator event and you will want to bring your cameras for this one! We set up a 2x Speed Trials course for the talented Free Riders to showcase some skills and create some fast competition. Riders will compete on identical courses with various obstacles such as ramps and stunts. First one to the bottom is the winner. Using double elimination until a winner is crowned. Lots of big air from these guys.

Afterwards there is plenty to do in the downtown area with different pubs and restaurants.
It will be a fun way to spend a Saturday night!!
Hope to see you there.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 05:58:41 PM by Red Trail Racing » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: