Author Topic: Squiggy for a beginner?  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
Squiggy for a beginner?
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
I've been thinking of giving the Squiggy a shot for my first race.  Not expecting to win the event or anything...I just want to get out there, ride, and feed my inner competitive animal that has been stored up for a few years.  I honestly have no idea what to expect.  Would this be a good taste of what XC and enduro racing is all about? 

What advice can you give to a complete newb to the sport? 

My wife and a couple friends have volunteered to be my support crew...is there a limit to how many people can come to help me out and keep my spirits up? 

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Squiggy for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
You'll love your first race experience!  My first was the 13 Hours of Santos last year.  It was a blast!!  Since your new to the sport, you might want to get a few riding buddies together and form a relay team.  It will be a great experience any way you decide to tackle it.  It doesn't matter how fast you go or where you place just as long as you have a great time with it.  :)
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
I've been thinking of giving the Squiggy a shot for my first race.  Not expecting to win the event or anything...I just want to get out there, ride, and feed my inner competitive animal that has been stored up for a few years.  I honestly have no idea what to expect.  Would this be a good taste of what XC and enduro racing is all about? 

What advice can you give to a complete newb to the sport? 

My wife and a couple friends have volunteered to be my support crew...is there a limit to how many people can come to help me out and keep my spirits up? 

Come out have fun, bring as many people as you want. There is no limit.

Offline JasonD

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I like to bike!
    • Metraworks Web Design
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 08:18:32 AM »
I am racing the Squiggy as my first race also. The format is either a 6 hour solo or team relay. The idea is that you try to get in as many laps in the alloted time. Traditional XC races are raced on a set course, and the first rider to cross the finish line wins.

The 2 reasons I am racing Squiggy as my "virgin" racing experience is 1) I am very familiar with the trails - and they are relatively easy 2) The 6 hour solo format, in my mind at least, puts more of an emphasis on individual performance and completing laps - I'm not trying to do a hundred laps - depending on the course, I can set a goal for the number of laps I want to compete.

I do expect to compete this year when XC season starts back up, so I think the Squiggy will give me a feel of being a part of the competition.

If you'd like to meet up sometime and do a training ride, let me know. I'm out there frequently.
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
Cool beans.  Thanks for the info.  I'm mailing in my registration tomorrow. 

Here is an odd question.  So what if nature calls half way through my lap?  Would I be considered off course?  Or should I just pull the psycho astronaut maneuver and wear an adult diaper? 

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
Cool beans.  Thanks for the info.  I'm mailing in my registration tomorrow. 

Here is an odd question.  So what if nature calls half way through my lap?  Would I be considered off course?  Or should I just pull the psycho astronaut maneuver and wear an adult diaper? 

Hang it over the bar and pee, unless you're not that big and need to stop and water the bushes.   ;D

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »
Wat too funny guys!!! ;D Watch out for the pigs though! ;)
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 04:45:48 PM »

Hang it over the bar and pee, unless you're not that big and need to stop and water the bushes.   ;D

Not sure about that idea.  I shudder to think what would happen if it slips off the bar and finds its way down to the spoke area.   :o

On a more serious note, when does everyone know what the official course will be?  Is it the day before, the day of, or....?  I'm trying to hit up most of the more difficult trails as part of my normal routine (Indian and Heartbreak specifically). 

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
As I understand it, it's all in the southern part of the trails. It should be pretty good. This isn't my first race, but it might as well be. I'm really looking forward to it.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 06:23:46 PM »
On a more serious note, when does everyone know what the official course will be?  Is it the day before, the day of, or....?  I'm trying to hit up most of the more difficult trails as part of my normal routine (Indian and Heartbreak specifically). 

In the past the course had us going down the right side of the two track towards the powerlines to Techno Pig to Hog Wild to Speedway to The Pits to Gator Bait to Indian to powerlines to Wash Board to Heart Break Ridge back up the two track to the START/FINISH.  Should be between 9.5 and 10 miles.

Offline Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:02:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info thus far.  Speedway...is that the fast curvy portion of the main trail by the hole in the fence?  I'm assuming The Pits is the sandy hilly area right when you enter the hole in the fence?  Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I haven't heard these names before.

Last question for now....how early does one have to get to the lot to get a parking spot (or two) in the paved parking area?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 07:06:35 PM by Alan »

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »
Is Heartbeak Ridge that railroad track berm with all the roots on it?  So is the start/finish area that parking lot off of Fletcher, and is there room for everybody or do people park all over and ride in to the start/finish area?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:17 PM »
Ells,

Yes, Heartbreak Ridge is the rooty trail up near the river.

No, the start finish line is up on the other side right up by the river, further up Morris bridge road which is what Fletcher becomes on the east side of I 75. There are two parking areas there and should be plenty of parking.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
Start/finish down by the gazebo?   Are you doing the race? Team or solo?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 08:47:31 PM »

I tired that last week and ended up pissing on my handlebars - not recommended.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx