SWAMP Community Forums
May 07, 2008, 10:05:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 8, 2008), 2008 Results  here. How did you do?

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cold or flu bug  (Read 174 times)
firebiker
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« on: January 30, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »

Has any one here ever ridden with a cold or flu? I've been battling it all week. It sucks. I'm hoping to be well enough to go by Saturday. I've never tried to do a ride with any distance after being sick. I am improved from yesterday, so I am hopeful. I'm curious as to how others have done on the bike while feeling crappy.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:05:12 PM »

It's tough on short rides let alone long ones. I've done it before but it hampers resperation and equilibrium. I had trouble on tough sections because I was out of breath and dizzy from the flu. Plus you hurt your immune system from the exertion and slow your healing process. Croom might not be a problem because of it's mostly singletrack.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
Jimbo
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:04:31 AM »

I rode at Reddick the last weekend it was open with a pretty bad cold.  There was no way I was going to miss that ride!  I still rode pretty strong but felt crappy the day after.  It was well worth it. 

I'm kinda fighting a bug too.  It started with a little sore throat last Friday.  Now it's just kind of annoying.  Just some congestion and a cough.

It's not just fun, it's an addiction!
firebiker
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:30:58 AM »

Yeah. I don't feel great but I'm not misssing Saturday.
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:01:27 AM »

Cold and flu can interupt many of the rides we do.  I have found that to reduce the symptoms and make it leave my body sooner that taking Zicam and zinc lozenges cuts the duration and severity of the cold almost in half!  Yeah, chicken noodle soup helps too, as well as staying up on enough protein and liquid in me.  Rest when you can, get some healthy medicine in you - not just something that masks the symptons til it goes away.  Zicam oral spray seems to work best for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: