SWAMP Community Forums
May 23, 2008, 09:11:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: West Virginia Biking Info  (Read 257 times)
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« on: February 28, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

Me and the Fam are going to West Virginia this summer to see the wife's family. We might try to stop in NC. also. Does anyone have any info on riding in either one of those states? I know Swamp goes to NC. and have seen Wes's pics, they are beautiful, but don't know where to go (easy Gregg). Any info on trails and lodging would be helpful, thanks.

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
BillT
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 08:48:06 AM »

I knowledge of the geography of North Carolina and West Virginia is somewhat limited so I'm not sure how close any of these places are to where you'll be but here are some trails to check out:

NC:
Tsali - beginner friendly, 4 really nice loops, nice scenery, can't get lost
Pisgah - huge area with tons of different trails ranging from mild to death march climbs and white knuckle descents
DuPont Forest - Kinda like a mini-Pisgah, the climbs aren't as big and descents not as long, but lots of fun

WV:
Snowshoe - Lift-accessed riding, leans more towards DH/FR than XC.

I'm sure there is much more in WV, but Snowshoe is the only place that I am familiar with.
Mitch
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »

Fontana Village near Fontana Dam is a nice place to stay and they have their own network of trails. Fontana village is about 30 minutes from Tsali and about 40 minutes to the Nantahala gorge if you want to do some whitewater rafting.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »

Thanks guys, I've been to Cherokee and Gatlinburg, but never heard of the villages. Nice website. Tsali looked great too!

I forgot to post it earlier but we'll be in Glendale, WV. which is up in the panhandle. Snowshoe is a couple of hours away if I remember correctly. Kanain Valley is another ski area that is used for downhills also I beleive.

Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:39:23 AM »

Having lived in the D.C. area for three years as an avid whitewater kayaker, I was all over the state of West Virginia and can say it's the closest thing in the East to the Mighty Rockies. Not sure about biking but with the available terrain there has to be some WORLD CLASS stuff available to you.
SouthernAvalanche
First Bike

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 01:09:40 PM »

If you want to try down hill.  Go to Deerfield Ski resort its on the Maryland, West Virginia kinda Pennsylvania border.  You put your bike on a ski lift go to the top and go several different trails.  The salom down hill is a killer if you don't have a 29'er bike...

Doing it my first time about 6 years ago.  We pulled into the lot.  Of course you wear a helmet but people were putting on motor cross pads.  I kind of was like what....  Got on the lift people were saying to us you guys are crazy.   Went down the salom because I start out on the hard stuff because I am a polluck.  No I chose the wrong trail..  I went over the handles bars many times.  Bent my rims.  Still went to the top this time no brakes going 60 to 80 MPH down hill.  Got to the bottom.  Was amazed on a non full suspension bike making it down the side of a mountain. 

That night when I got home I had black and blues everywhere. 

Try it once its fun....
MOOSE
First Bike

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:54:11 AM »

I lived in WV for many years and my two best friends still do. We created a review type site at www.outdoortravels.com - there's TONS of info on WV trails.

Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 08:58:22 PM »

Thanks Moose!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: