Author Topic: Squiggy conditions  (Read 7198 times)

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
Squiggy conditions
« on: March 07, 2008, 03:10:39 PM »
Its been raining in this area for almost 3 days on and off, and with flatwoods, essentially swamp ground (no pun intended.), I'm wondering how sloppy this course is really going to be..anyone have any news on that? I know the parks we're closed, to set up, so someone from here was more than likely there..lol
thanks.

John
Birdman flightclub
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Anthem1

Re: Squiggy conditions
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:18:30 PM »
I am looking at radar and that is a WIDE band of HEAVY thunder storms headed this way. If the lower trails like Indian and Gator bait are thrown in the mix this is going to get SLOPPY :P

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
Maybe we can do one of those muddy rider bike ads in the magazine things ater we're done. :D
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:21:43 PM »
Its been raining in this area for almost 3 days on and off, and with flatwoods, essentially swamp ground (no pun intended.), I'm wondering how sloppy this course is really going to be..anyone have any news on that? I know the parks we're closed, to set up, so someone from here was more than likely there..lol
thanks.

John
Birdman flightclub

I prerode this morning as the course was being marked. The overall conditions were pretty good, with the sand not being so loose. The only concern that I have is GatorBait and Indian. They both had spots of standing water.

There is an alternative to those trails that is mapped out.  I am told that the decision will be made in the morning regarding those two trails, I would not completely count out a sloppy ride through those two spots, It really just depends how much water we get here. I am about 10 miles from the park and it has not been too bad YET. There is still a bunch of red and orange on the radar. So we will see.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
thanks.

John
Birdman flightclub

I prerode this morning as the course was being marked. The overall conditions were pretty good, with the sand not being so loose. The only concern that I have is GatorBait and Indian. They both had spots of standing water.

There is an alternative to those trails that is mapped out.  I am told that the decision will be made in the morning regarding those two trails, I would not completely count out a sloppy ride through those two spots, It really just depends how much water we get here. I am about 10 miles from the park and it has not been too bad YET. There is still a bunch of red and orange on the radar. So we will see.

If Morris Bridge gets anything like the heavy downpour St. Pete got, Indian and Gator Bait will not be an option.  They can always add in Sinkhole and Misery to make up mileage.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:16:00 PM »
thanks.

John
Birdman flightclub

If Morris Bridge gets anything like the heavy downpour St. Pete got, Indian and Gator Bait will not be an option.  They can always add in Sinkhole and Misery to make up mileage.
Indian and gator bait has muddy sections and if they exclude the two tomorrow I will be force to use my freakin gearie >:( >:( >:( >:(
and I am suppose to be ss poser.

Anthem1

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »
I have seen both trails closed with a whole lot less water on them and that's without 10,000 crazed maniacs :D

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:19:14 PM »
R u sure you still know how to use a gearie Treadlight? Sorry, I've only seen you on your ss lately, LOL! ;)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:50:05 PM »
R u sure you still know how to use a gearie Treadlight? Sorry, I've only seen you on your ss lately, LOL! ;)

He just pretends to shift now, moving his thumbs back and forth. His legs have the strength of ten men, with no need to use a derailuer. Very impressive Morrison!!

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 04:52:29 PM »
Yes he is!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »

He just pretends to shift now, moving his thumbs back and forth. His legs have the strength of ten men, with no need to use a derailuer. Very impressive Morrison!!
What I learned from riding singlespeed (maybe too soon), I think its overated.

They always said that its hard to ride a singlespeed but I think it depends on the gear combination you have. I think anybody can do it. Having a singlespeed means to have self restraint and patience, you will know that everybody will pass you on fire roads and flat sections, its a matter of reeling them in once you hit the single track and climbs.

It does force you to stick it out with what you have, either you will be overspinning or you will be grunting.

But I think its not hard and I know anybody can do it. IMHO

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 08:43:26 PM »
Doing solo this year, I realized the importance of pacing yourself. Lasy year I did 2 laps at full pace and this year got caught up in keeping pace with the lead pack. Ater my fouth lap I found myself paying for it, and probably cost me my 6th lap which was my goal. Lessons learned, with all honestly I felt like stopping after 4 laps but I kept thinking about Lauren ( Harveys wife), and thought she's fighting for another lap so I'll do one more for me is nothing!!! Didn't reach my goal, but I'll do better next year!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:02:54 PM »

They always said that its hard to ride a singlespeed but I think it depends on the gear combination you have. I think anybody can do it. Having a singlespeed means to have self restraint and patience, you will know that everybody will pass you on fire roads and flat sections, its a matter of reeling them in once you hit the single track and climbs.

It does force you to stick it out with what you have, either you will be overspinning or you will be grunting.

I think that you do not give yourself enough credit, I know you and talked about this yesterday, but you finished with more laps and sooner than others with gears. I am not taking anything away from anyone, but you are impressive on that thing my friend.  :)

Anthem1

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 09:44:09 PM »
Morrison is a ANIMAL!!!!!!! Just stay away from his frosty beverages :D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 09:57:18 PM »
Morrison is a ANIMAL!!!!!!! Just stay away from his frosty beverages :D

You and Mike are the ones who bagged the FIRST. you guys are freakin animals

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
    • Pinoy MTBer
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 09:59:24 PM »

I think that you do not give yourself enough credit, I know you and talked about this yesterday, but you finished with more laps and sooner than others with gears. I am not taking anything away from anyone, but you are impressive on that thing my friend.  :)

But you blew past me...TWICE

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 10:08:37 PM »
Gregg, be sure to tell your son that he was most appreciated standing guard of the connector at Hole In The Fence.  Awesome kid you got there.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 11:32:34 PM »
Thanks Garry, I will show him your post in the morning. I know he will appreciate it.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 07:01:50 AM »
I didn't realize that was him out there. Happy you introduced him to me Gregg. He high fived me every time I came by. I was looking forward to that every lap.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 07:08:25 AM »
Jason's son Abe was great too. I had just gotten onto the trail after the shell road and there was a kid on the trail and I said rider up. When he turned around I saw it was Abe. He was intently looking for something, I thought he had a mechanical and stopped to see if he needed help. He was searching for his baton he had dropped. We spent about 3-5 minutes looking for it  and I found it in the bushes. Gave it back to him, he said thanks and before I could get back on the bike and up to speed he was almost out of sight! He was flying. Caught up to him a little bit later as he was going back for the baton laying in the middle of the trail. Suggested he put it in his Camelback for safe keeping.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
Yeah, Abe is a good kid! It was great to see so many kids and ladies out!