SWAMP Community Forums
June 11, 2008, 10:40:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gatorback  (Read 597 times)
BillT
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« on: March 23, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »

I hit Alafia on Saturday for my first real ride in 4 weeks due to some surgery and had a blast.  It was my first time testing out some new bike parts (http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,2029.0.html) as well as my first time checking out the rebuilt Gatorback and I have to say that I really like what was done with the trail.  Anyone who complains about 'neutering' can really go suck it...fall line trails just aren't sustainable in the long term without an excessive amount of maintenance that is difficult for a volunteer group to provide.  That said, I think the reroutes actually work to enhance the trail...yes, we don't have that super-big straight-down drop that was a great adrenaline rush, but we now have a cool berm to a much longer downhill, that if I my memory hasn't failed me, has a nice opportunity for some air around 1/3 of the way down Smiley  Great job on the trail and I'll make it a point to get out there next trail day as I missed the Gatorback day.
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:41:11 AM »

You are exactly right! Cool
Rasterman
SWAMPer
First Bike

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:30 PM »

Well it all depends on your skill level, if your are beginner its way over your head, if you are intermediate then its probably right on, if you are advanced though and like tough stuff it is pretty good, but could use a few harder options.  I would much rather see it open and easier, than closed and washed out though.  It would be nice to see some 'hard' option lines in there though.  The new downhill is easier than the first North Creek hill (a BLUE trail), and the new section just after that with the 'jump' thing is really bad.

== A.B.C. ===
CrazyWhiteGuy
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Caution: May cause temporary blindness

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 03:14:28 PM »

Give it a few months, that big downhill will get eroded and much more technical. Then it'll be a thrill ride.

Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black
chiselchest
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:07:55 AM »

I dont really think it is a skill thing, I think it is more of a flow thing. I can ride most anything you throw at me, but some stuff just is not that fun to me. I will take good flow and speed any day to steep and rough. That is just my .02!  The new gator back is saweeet! 
BillT
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:27:14 PM »

I really like the flow of the new Gatorback...they got rid of that terrible sandy climb and I like the extended, though not as steep, downhill later in the trail (just need to 'enhance' that little ledge/bump/jump about 1/3rd of the way down a bit(.  I'd love to see some more technical options like high speed hip jumps, nasty rock garden waterfalls, etc. but they don't really belong in state parks and should be reserved for dedicated bike parks.
kerbouchaud
First Bike

My other ride is Yo Mamma!

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 04:54:23 PM »

Finally rode Gatorback for the first time. Last time I was up there I didn't have the skills and the trail was too tuff. This time around My skills were up and the trail wasn't quite so bad. The drops were awesome but the climbs were brutal specially after 3 laps on north creek, a trip through the rabbit ears, and moonscape.
I had to get off and walk up 2 of the hills but I'm pretty sure I could have ridden the whole thing if I wasn't already worn out.

Just Throw $$
Tbalestrini
SWAMPer
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »

I also rode the new gatorback and really enjoyed it until my lungs gave out. the only really issue I have is my stamina. the trail is not super difficult but running out of gas after every climb is what makes it so hard for me. and by the way the root wall is evil and who ever designed / built it is also evil !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: