SWAMP Community Forums
June 22, 2008, 06:48:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulletin: Adopt A Trail  (Read 617 times)
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« on: April 13, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »

Hi folks,
Last year we tried to introduce a plan to help us keep the many miles of trails that we have in our inventory trimmed and maintained to (1), try and make less work to be done on the trail maintenance days - and (2), free up the jobs that need to be done on the maintenance days to trail repair and address issues of problem areas.

It was kind of loosely described, or outlined before - but here's how we see it working.  This is especially helpful for those folks who wish to help, but do not have Saturdays available to make it to a workday.

You can pick out the area that needs to be trimmed out of the four different trail systems - Alafia, Boyette, Croom, Morris Bridge - on any day that is convenient to YOU, during YOUR regular ride or a specific time that YOU set aside for yourself. You bring a pair or loppers or hand trimmers in your Camelback and stop where you see the trail needs to be trimmed back.  What could be easier? And you get volunteer credit for doing it too by letting the Trail Boss know what you did by e-mailing to - trails at swampclub dot org.

PLEASE remember to throw all trimmings WELL OFF THE TRAIL.

This would not involve anything like altering a trail, or changing the Technical Trail Feature (TTF).  If something like that is needed to be addressed then you would simply report it's location and a description of the problem to the Trail Boss for that trail system.
This can be done by also sending an e-mail to - trails at swampclub dot org.

With this being the beginning of the growing season there is a lot of vegetation and vines encroaching on the trails.  Switchbacks, turns, and hidden roots are all important areas to trim - as are those face slappers and low branches heavy with new growth.  Also, take this opportunity to identify what Poison Ivy looks like.

Saturday we had 26 volunteers spend four hours of their time spread out upon the Boyette trails to trim back the overgrowth.  That was a BIG workday, but you know what?  We weren't able to get to every trail.  So you can see how important the Adopt A Trail program will be.  This is even something you can do as a family too - as a positive thing to do together by giving back to the trails that you enjoy so much.

We hope this becomes part of the normal operation of SWAMP Club Members being involved with your club.

Thank you to all.

Garry Rosseter
SWAMP President
firebiker
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

I love the idea.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 08:24:43 PM »

Me too Garry. I feel bad because of weekend comitments and can't get to workdays. That would be great for me also and would love to participate!

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!
chainslap
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 10:10:27 PM »

I'm in and would like a spot at alafia.  Will someone post a link for recomended loppers.
Anthem1
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »

Count me in for the WTA loop Smiley
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »

Count me in for the WTA loop Smiley

Here's all you do.  Take some loppers or hedge shears - Home Depot has some decent ones for under $20 or just over.  Strap them to your Camelback and hit the trail.  See an area that needs trimming, have at it and be sure to toss the trimmings far off the trail.  Report your time and the trail you trimmed to trails at swampclub dot org.
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »

If we adopt a trail will we get one of those neat little signs that say this section of trail maintained by "The Odum Family", like they do on the roadways? Just kidding I know you can't put signs up on the trails like that but was just being a wisea#s. I really think that's a great idea and would participate without it counting towards voluteer hours!

Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Cuurent Ride: Gary Fisher Cake 2

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »

I also think this is a great idea. We could post that on our SWAMP signs as well as the main web page.

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »

If we adopt a trail will we get one of those neat little signs that say this section of trail maintained by "The Odum Family", like they do on the roadways? Just kidding I know you can't put signs up on the trails like that but was just being a wisea#s. I really think that's a great idea and would participate without it counting towards voluteer hours!

hah!  Ken, that's been suggested a couple of times.  I don't know how well that would work, but it would give a little pride in ownership of maintaining a particular trail.  Who would want a bad condition trail with their name on it?
Ken
Swampster
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

Ride On!!!

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:24:40 PM »

That will work for me Garry. I have a pair of hand trimmers and hand saw also with a sheath for both tha t will fit comfortably in my camelback. Do we need to stake out a section of trail or trim areas that we come across?

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 11:14:54 PM »

That will work for me Garry. I have a pair of hand trimmers and hand saw also with a sheath for both tha t will fit comfortably in my camelback. Do we need to stake out a section of trail or trim areas that we come across?

For now trim areas that you come across.  If this becomes popular then we can have people "adopt" their own section.
c-dalerider
Amatuer Billy Goat

wishing I could ride more!

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 07:15:47 AM »

Count me in - I think it is a great idea.  I am usually at Morris Bridge on Tuesdays with my son, I will take some time on marker 4-6 and on Misery.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: