Author Topic: Better rollin??  (Read 7578 times)

Offline Adventurer

• First Bike
  • Kick IT!!!
Better rollin??
« on: April 22, 2008, 09:55:51 AM »
I am in need of two new wheelsets.  Any suggestions?  I ride a Gary Fisher Sugar with v-brakes.  I would like to upgrade to disc-brakes at the same time.  Thoughts???

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Better rollin??
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
get abner to build you some wheels - he has a local shop in Tampa called links cycles - you can ask many people on this forum that have his custom wheelsets and they will tell you that you get great wheels

Offline Adventurer

• First Bike
  • Kick IT!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 12:46:39 PM »
Do you have a number for Abner?  I actually posted this hoping you or Gregg would link the website or number

Anthem1

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
Abner 1s 888-7900 I just got a set from him and they are perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 01:03:30 PM »
Well there ya go.....

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:21:23 PM »
Depending on your budget, Industry Nines are unbeatable IMO if you can sling da lute.  I had them built all mountain with Stans Flow rims, 1680g for a heavy duty set up is pretty light.  The enguagement of the hubs is 3 deg., best in the industry.  Straight pull 1 piece aluminum spokes (no nipples) make them very stiff and responsive. They can build on any 32 hole rim you like, custom colors available also, I got lucky and got a set someone canceled on that were the color and spec I was looking for... no wait time! http://www.industrynine.net/official/allmountain.html
The new Crossmax STs also gets good reviews and are more cost effective. http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/Crossmax-ST-Disc.995146.aspx
What ever you choose, consider what it will take to go tubeless as far as additional cost and weight.
A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
anthem just retired his mavics after getting a custom set built by abner...I have been on the top of the line mavics...I9s etc and no wheels have been head and shoulders above the best when it comes to stiffness weight and responsiveness than custom wheels that abner builds

Offline Adventurer

• First Bike
  • Kick IT!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
Chainslap...Thanks for the reply. the industry nines look pretty tight.  I just spoke with a local legend in Tampa by the name of Abner.  I feel pretty confident that i may have him build custom wheels for me.  He was talking about criss king hubs and custom fitted wheels for $700 +/-.

Offline mksandoz

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
    • my riding blog
  • My Bike: Cannondale F500 1x7 w/ Slicks
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 03:06:30 PM »
i've got abner wheelz and love em.  hope hubs and dt swiss 540 rimz.  cost me a little over $500.  they have been bulletproof.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 05:46:55 PM »
I9 also makes hubs for j bend spokes and sells them seperatly. Compart the price to the kings, could be an option for your builder.
A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 06:09:58 PM »
I've been rolling on r=the same set of kings since '99 - swapped to several different rims and swapped shells to the disc compatible ones when I built up my last bike.  They have been flawless and I never have issues should something happen to a rim, spoke, or hub.  I'm just anti proprietary-part wheelsets.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »
  I'm just anti proprietary-part wheelsets.

amen to that

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 08:37:36 PM »
I build my own wheels. After having several sets of Mavic wheels and nothing but problems with the freehub I bought a King hub, I liked it so much I bought another one and built new wheels for my SS also! I know some guys running the I9's, they are crazy loud! Maybe there is an option to quiet them up, not sure. Seem to be pretty good wheels though, pricey, and there is a wait but everyone I know that has them seem to pretty happy with them. The same goes for everyone I know with a King hub though, no problems and happy. Lots of good options available now, which is good.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline richardo

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
I'm in need of a wheelset and have been thinking about calling good ol' Abner and having him build me a set. Anyone know what the average cost of one of his custom built wheelsets are?

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 09:34:53 PM »
I'm in need of a wheelset and have been thinking about calling good ol' Abner and having him build me a set. Anyone know what the average cost of one of his custom built wheelsets are?

depends on which hubs/rims/spokes combo you want....$5-750ish