Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Asheville, NC  (Read 7827 times)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
Asheville, NC
« on: October 23, 2006, 10:13:32 PM »
What a fantastic trip this has been so far!  I love this place!

This morning everyone stayed on the lower trails for the most part.  We took some of the lower trails to go up the logging road toward Lower Sidehill.  That's the steep road, all smooth though, up to an even steeper trail section.  However, once you start going down it's a lot of fun, with a lot of a thrill factor thrown in.  Single Track trail less than a foot from the edge of the hill.  You can see down for hundreds of feet IF you stop to look.  (Don't look that way while riding because your bike goes the way you look!)

Tomorrow we go to DuPont to see the views and the waterfalls.....

This October 2006 trip has been fun.  The temperature was 39 degrees at the start of the ride (10:00 am) but it's not as bad as 39 degrees at home.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Asheville, NC
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 09:47:19 PM »
Well, today was some ride.  34 degrees at the house, 9:00 am
We drove to DuPont Forrest to ride up there for the day.  The cold was not an issue once you start climbing (and climbing, and climbing)

We started out going to the rock quarry for a quick warm up.  Then on to the top of the quarry before heading up to Slick Rock for lunch.  From there we took off to see many more trails (I forget all the names but we climbed a lot). We broke up into two groups:  the group who crossed the ice cold stream and the group that didn't (jury is still out on which group was smarter)
Once we crossed the stream we took off for the Airport Strip, neat place to see.  After charging up our water supplies we took off down the sweeping, switch-backing Airport Strip trail.  Some of our group went twice this trail was SO MUCH FUN.  From there we went on to the waterfalls, lakes and an abandoned (half finished) house.

After some more climbing we found our way back to the Airport Strip where we, you guessed it, had to cross back over that cold stream again.  Slippery, 35 feet to cross, water rushing, cold stinging your feet..  a small price to pay for the things we saw while we were on that side of the stream.  What fun.  from there we took the bail out (read that as More Climbing) to get back to the parking lot.

We left at 10:45 am and got back just before 5:00 pm.  Sounds tough but it was less than 3 hours ride time (IF you didn't climb back up that Airstrip trail the second time) and the faster riders got a lot more rest than the slower riders did.  However, we stopped plenty of times to let everyone catch up and catch their breath before we moved on.  I heard no complaints all day. (Note: Except for the fierce cold water in the stream!)

This was a very fun day.  A lot of work and some cold to deal with but the view and variety is well worth the effort of making this trip.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:47:11 AM by Forum Manager »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 10:47:10 PM »
Thats awesome. I wish I could be there. I have yet to b up there to see the color change.  I bet that water is frickin cold!!!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:28:59 PM »
Yes, the water was cold for the first few seconds when you get in.  Once you get in the water all you are thinking about is NOT slipping, Not falling down, Not letting go of your bike or shoes... in other words, no chance to think about the cold.  Oh, when you get out and that cold air hits your feet?  That makes up for all the cold you missed during the (slow, step, slide, step) crossing.

No ride reports for today, I took the day off to go see the Biltmore Estate.  That was an all-day trip too, plenty to see, not enough time to see it all.  Big house!

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 08:21:01 PM »
Today was another great ride.  we left about 9:30 and returned around 2 pm.  Some went for another ride after that.

The first trip was up the big hill to Greens Lick.  (That's the 5 mile climb in 52 minutes)  Super ride down.

We tried to scoot back up to lower sidehill by taking Sidehill but that didn't work so we went back down hill to the road again.
30+ miles per hour downhill is a rush.  From there we climbed back up to Lower Sidehill with all it's thrills.
Up to another trail, Upper Explorer, Pine Tree and a few others.  Super ride and the temperatures were great today (lower 50's)

Weather calls for rain on Friday so this may have been my last ride on this trip.  We'll see what "90 percent chance of rain" really means up here, tomorrow.

Lots of fun.

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 06:41:02 PM »
Well, it rained all day Friday (more like what we call sprinkle) so the 2006 Asheville trip is over.

everyone had a great time and some people have already tried to reserve a space on next year's trip!

that is a good endorsement.

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 10:49:56 AM »
Woke up on Saturday morning to a wonderful day: sunny, windy and warm (47 degrees)

It was hard to pack the car and leave instead of going for another bike ride.

This last week has been an amazing week.  Very close to perfection in many ways (colors, cools, companions and collection of trails)  Beautiful.

And if you think 47 degrees is too cold to ride in?  Think again.  Although 47 degrees is downright COLD in Florida, it's a lot different when you start climbing those long mountain bike hill trails in the dry air of North Carolina.  During the "..100% chance of rain on Friday.." the humidity was at 68%.  With the right combination of clothes and the warming effect of climbing hills the cooler temperatures and low humidity made it a LOT easier to ride longer and farther.

Great week.

Offline Kevan

• Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:02:01 PM »
Marcel took some pictures while he was there. (I was too busy riding)

Here is the link to the Asheville pictures: http://sports.webshots.com/album/555013101RjPTyn

Here is the link to his albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/aguirre2222

Here is a picture of everyone that attended one big ride. We stopped at lake Powhatan

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2006, 12:36:26 AM »
Don took some pictures at Pisgah and DuPont (near Ashevulle) a week earlier in October when the colors were a little more brilliant.

View them here

http://picasaweb.google.com/misterdon/NCTrip
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:08:10 PM »
More pictures of Asheville from Wes

View them here.

or http://homepage.mac.com/weseubank/PhotoAlbum63.html
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 11:10:30 PM »
Some comments from Gary E about the Asheville trip

Hey Ya'll
  I've been really busy since we got back from Asheville, and I almost forgot to thank everyone for such a great trip. What Fun! Thanks Wes for doing your normally fantastic job of putting it all together. Great rides, great accommodations, great food, and most of all Great People. I just hope that everyone else had as much fun as I did. I'm ready to go back ( now that I've recovered). I miss waking and going on those brisk mourning rides ( chasing Dave up the mountain). I miss the (this is a true) stories around the fire in the evenings, and the lets (see who we can get lost) rides to dinner, and of course the meals themselves. I'm just having a hard time forgetting ( or is that remembering) the nights of good beer, good scotch, and good friends. (and maybe something about Drambuie). Anyway Thanks to everybody, I can't think of any way that I would rather spend a week.
Watch This.

Gary

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 11:12:54 PM »
From Kim, in response to Gary...

I just hope next year I am in a good spot to get a great picture of Gary's "hey ya'll, watch this" for the website.
kim

Apparently Gary got a little too much air on a jump... ;)

However, Gary says (in reply) "All I can say is no photo, no evidence."

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 11:19:08 PM »
Marcel has shared some photos and videos...

Yes I for one am glad Wes had put away his camera when I pulled a 360 after an endo right in front of him.  Just to wrap things up and move on the next trip, I wanted to share my Asheville video with you all.  It is most of the same pictures you saw on my previous link but it has a few surprises.  Including rollowing video of a climb and all the waterfalls so you can really hear the water roar.  Without invading anyone privacy, I'll roll more video of people riding next trip....  Enjoy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IwWKWyTDhV0

View the video
here

« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:49:36 PM by Forum Manager »

Advertisement: