Author Topic: Fools Gold 100  (Read 4628 times)

Anthem1

Fools Gold 100
« on: June 08, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
Anyone considering this little torture test? :P Not sure about 100 but the 50 could be fun :)

Offline northbkr1

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Fools Gold 100
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 07:33:01 AM »
I'm thinking about doing the 50

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 07:52:10 AM »
I was thinking of doing the 100, but scaling back to maybe the 50.  It's an out and back I believe, so making it back from the 50 I'd probably have to psych myself big time to go out a second time!

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 07:55:21 AM »
What is it? where is it? when is it? I'm interested

Online steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:48 AM »

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
north Georgia ouch!

Offline Eddie O

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
In addition to the races we have a weekend long festival going on too!  This includes organized rides, a night ride, bands, contests, lots of swag, funds raising stuff for SORBA, micro brews, Q&A with the pros racing the 100, food & lodging all weekend.  The venue has a cooking staff, bunkhouses, creeks, hiking trails & a water fall.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Eddie O

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »
Eddie,
Thanks for the info... I have some quick questions...

- Will the racer still get the 3 ziploc bags for the sags?
- What time will be the cut off for the 100?
- What am I missing on the Sunday Adventure ride if I don't do it?  You stashing some kool swag int he woods for riders to find?
- Now that you've tried SS at the Lumberjack, what gear combo would you do if you were doing the Fools Gold?  NOw, what gear combo would you suggest for someone with weaker leggs?  ;D

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
Marcel, I think you should try 34 X 16 !!!  ;)
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 09:03:19 AM »
If I do, I will DNF on first climb on Cooper's Gap.   :o

Eddie,
A few more...
- Do you have a set list of pro's for the Q&A?  Is Landis going to be there?  I have a few roadie questions to ask him.  :D  j/k  I might get thrown out. 
- Are there more then two crazy la cabeza trying the SS 100?  So far only two registered.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:01 AM »
If I do, I will DNF on first climb on Cooper's Gap.   :o

Eddie,
A few more...
- Do you have a set list of pro's for the Q&A?  Is Landis going to be there?  I have a few roadie questions to ask him.  :D  j/k  I might get thrown out. 
- Are there more then two crazy la cabeza trying the SS 100?  So far only two registered.
Would like to crack this one, but don't have enough time and money to do it.

MoriSSon

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 01:14:12 PM »
I am thinking of trying this one for next year in 09 if they have it again. Any suggestions on preparation for the 50? I plan on getting in on all of the 50s this upcoming spring. I rode the croom event this year and it wasnt too bad, but these are mountains  :o. Anybody have any experience with this one already?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:26:46 AM »
I am thinking of trying this one for next year in 09 if they have it again. Any suggestions on preparation for the 50? I plan on getting in on all of the 50s this upcoming spring. I rode the croom event this year and it wasnt too bad, but these are mountains  :o. Anybody have any experience with this one already?
If I go this year, it will be my first.  It is also the second time this event is being held.  It was popular last year on its first year ever.  Now that it was added to the National Endurance series, you have the big top guns coming to it.  It is August hot-atlanta kind of hot weather.  You can read Harvey's blog and others from last year event so you can get a taste for it.  If I attend, it will be my first enduro type event with that kind of elevation.  I just plan to take an easy steady pace and walk the steep stuff so I concerve energy to finish.  The Croom 50 doesn't come close to it but is all I have for local training.  I did a 40 there a few weeks back.  I plan on doing at least two more in the hot summer weather before FG for preparation.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:32:12 AM »
- Will the racers still get the 3 ziploc bags for the sags?
Yes, 3 bags.

- What time will be the cut off for the 100?
We are still working that out, but we do not want anyone on the trail after dark.  Nightfall adds a level danger that is just not necessary for either the racer or the rescue crews. We also do not want to leave our support persons out in the woods all night getting eaten by mosquitoes or worse.

- What am I missing on the Sunday Adventure ride if I don't do it?  You stashing some kool swag int he woods for riders to find?
You'll be missing the distribution of a lot of cool swag, but you'll have most likely had many other chances.  If you still want to ride on Sunday after doing the 100, then I'll have to make the course harder.

- Now that you've tried SS at the Lumberjack, what gear combo would you do if you were doing the Fools Gold?  NOw, what gear combo would you suggest for someone with weaker leggs?
Lumberjack had so little climbing it doesn't compare.  For a 29er though, I would suggest a 32x19 or 20.

- Do you have a set list of pro's for the Q&A?  Is Landis going to be there?  I have a few roadie questions to ask him.    j/k  I might get thrown out. 
Still working on this, but so far we have Harlan Price, Chris Eatough & maybe Tinker.  We'll probably add series leaders Jeff Schelk & Cheryl Sorrenson.

There will be many more.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
time to move this to the racing section