SWAMP Community Forums
October 12, 2008, 08:32:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

History Commands

[Today at 10:43:31 AM] dashreeve: colt creek

[Today at 02:27:53 PM] FACTORe: don't forget to watch mountainbiking on CBS today

[Today at 02:41:00 PM] chainslap: thanks factore dvr set

[Today at 03:10:40 PM] bikehard: what time?

[Today at 03:12:45 PM] bikehard: found it

[Today at 03:17:06 PM] FACTORe: glad to see mtbing getting on main stream TV

[Today at 04:50:35 PM] Alan: what time is/was it on?  I couldn't find any listings

[Today at 04:56:15 PM] FACTORe: i was on at 3:30

[Today at 04:56:28 PM] FACTORe: or 3

[Today at 04:56:32 PM] FACTORe: somewhere in these

[Today at 04:56:34 PM] FACTORe: there

[Today at 07:05:24 PM] Alan: damn.  was it XC racing or..?

News: Boyette Scrub Trail Map available to SWAMP Mountain Bike Club members.  Check the Trail Maps section.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went to Wilderness today for the first time..  (Read 375 times)
jjoohhnn
First Bike

« on: October 01, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »

I didn't know which side of  Morris Bridge Rd to park on so I chose the right side with the dirt parking lot directly off the road.

I started at the trail head and stayed on the main trail until I got to that 4 way intersection with some cool drops and short steep hills, road those for a little bit. I continued onto the Main trail and checked out Indian and Hogwild. They were pretty cool. I came back around and rode some more of some other trail, Manic or something. Then headed back. Rode for about an hour and a half (im way out of shape).

It was pretty cool, but I'm interested in what I missed out on. What up with the other side of the road? I drove through there when I was done and saw a ton of more vehicles, is that the better side?
Anthem1
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »

There are trails on both sides, if you stay on the main trail it will take you parallel to Morris bridge road dumping you at Morris Bridge park where you can cross the river using the Morris Bridge road bridge. Stay on the road for a couple hundred yards and you will see signage pointing to the main trail on your left, follow that and it will take you to Flatwoods park via the 1800 or Eubanks trail. There at the water spot refered to as the Y continue a couple hundred yards on the paved loop and look left and you will see the main trail again, this section of trail runs thru the middle of the Flat Woods paved loop dumping you on the West side of the loop, cross the pavement and follow the main trail which will evevtually take you to the shell levee. Take a left as you exit the woods with the levee in front of you and the main trail will take you to the Dam where you can cross the river again and there you are at Trout Creek where you drove thru after your ride. The main trail will take you along that 2 mile drive in Trout Creek dumping at the Hole in the Fence where you rode. If you ride only the main trail it comes out around 14 miles. I would highly recomend the Tuesday Night ride at Hole in the Fence, there are various groups running different paces. This would be a great way for you to see this loop in a guided fashion Smiley
jimn213
SWAMPer
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »

I would highly recomend the Tuesday Night ride at Hole in the Fence, there are various groups running different paces. This would be a great way for you to see this loop in a guided fashion

Or, go to Trout Creek this coming Sunday morning for the club guided ride.  The various groups roll out of the parking lot at 9 am.

Jim

Ahhhh, it's nice out... I think I'll leave it out!
jjoohhnn
First Bike

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:43 PM »

I have class on Tuesday evenings, so the sunday ride might be better for me. Im riding pretty slow right now, not up to shape like I should be.

Next time I go I'm going to ride the main loop all the way around. I wanted to do that today but taking some of the smaller trails that got pretty technical killed my energy. Not to mention I spent about an hour dicking around on the little dinks and drops about a mile into the main trail.
jdk
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 11:03:29 PM »

If you ride the main loop be sure to try Panther! It's a nice technical detour off the main loop near the end. Once you exit Panther take a left on the paved road, and then another left onto the limerock access road. Ride that for about a mile and you will see the signs for the main trail again on your left, so you can continue where you left off.

08 Black Turner 5 Spot
MTB name: Sir Rides a lot
jjoohhnn
First Bike

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 11:37:10 PM »

Will do. What do you guys think of Grandpa?

Also, what are some of the fastest/dangerous trails?    Cool
Gregg
Global Moderator
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:57:37 AM »

There really aren't any 'dangerous' trails out there. The trails that offer the most technical challenge are: Gaitor Bait, Indian, Techno Pig, Heartbreak Ridge, Panther and Coconut Grove.

These trails are challenging because of there rooty nature. There is not any elevation change to speak of.

All of the rest of the trails are fast.

"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"
jdk
SWAMPer
Huffy Rider

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:28:44 AM »

Where is Coconut Grove? I don't think I've ever seen it.

08 Black Turner 5 Spot
MTB name: Sir Rides a lot
Darrinw2001
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

Current Ride: Gary Fisher Cake 2

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:10:06 AM »

Where is Coconut Grove? I don't think I've ever seen it.

in trout creek park off of Bayshore. coming from Morris Bridge road back into trout creek, after you cross the bridge and enter the trails on the right, you will see a sign for Coconut grove and bayshore.
It is not a long trails at all, just rooty like gregg said.

If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
jjoohhnn
First Bike

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »

Is that place the TOE still around? I remember riding there years ago on my 20incher, that place was super fun.
Harvey
Ride Guide
Clipless Mountain Goat

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 02:46:57 PM »

It was shut down by the landowner last year. I loved that place...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: