Author Topic: Alafia Fat Tire Festival 2006  (Read 3801 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Alafia Fat Tire Festival 2006
« on: November 28, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »
There was plenty of fun and many riders at the annual SWAMP Alafia fat tire festival in 2006.

What follows are comments made by members of the SWAMP club after the event.  Since many more folks are not members of the club we have copied these comments here.  Feel free to add your own comments here.

This has become a very popular event and registration closed early in 2006 because we filled up faster than ever before.

We hope to see you at next year's event.

Enjoy
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Alafia Fat Tire Festival 2006
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »
From Marsha:

Thanks to all whom organized, planned, volunteered, guided, gave first aid, cooked, played music.....I could go on and on!!  THANKS AGAIN!  All the hard work paid off double!

This was our first FTF and it beat every expectation!  We met new people and got to see so many Swampers!  Can not wait until next year!

PS:  The Crit race was great!  If anyone has pics could you please post them.  We forgot the camera.
Thanks.

Marsha and Jerry
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 03:12:54 PM »
From Garry R:

What a great event weekend!!  A huge thanks goes out to all who made the AFTF seem like a ride in the park for the rest of us.  Well, it was a ride in the park, but you know what I mean.

From the registration crew who greeted all of the event participants, to the folks who stood at the ready to make the coffee, food, and beverages available and easy for everyone - to the huge amount of volunteer hours building up to this weekend spent making new trails, repairing old ones, trimming and grooming of the trails plus all of the other behind the scenes operations it takes to pull something like this off.

SWAMP Club has a dedicated group of volunteers who are always up to the challenge of ensuring a fun, enjoyable, entertaining fat tire festival.  Two nights of top notch musical entertainment.  A campground full of friends and neighbors both new and old. A group of SWAMP volunteers who forgo their own regular sleep and activities to ensure everyone else had a great time easily shows SWAMP to be nothing short of one fantastic mountain bike club.

Speaking of entertainment - helmets off to Adele Gustafson for heading up the CLUNKER CRIT on Saturday.  No matter how spent, sore, and tired people were they were pumped for participating in this hugely popular race around the circle.  The spider man g-string was a bit much, but to each his own!  I know people are already scheming for next years CLUNKER CRIT so I ask - is it possible to outdo ourselves?

Again, thanks to all involved in this memorable FTF.

Garry

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:15:27 PM »
From Julianne:

Gimme a yeeehaaaw!

What a great weekend!  Adele, thanks for making this event happen - you da woman!

Romey jump-started the weekend with his awesome one-man-band, Marc and Sue cooked up one awesome meal on Sat PM (now I've got another year to look forward to that scrumptious bananas foster), and Damon Fowler had us all rocking afterwards.  The meal and registration volunteers (see Adele's note) made this a seamless event!  THANKS!

Not to be outdone were our ride guides who led the faithful bikers through the woods at Alafia and Boyette. Without you guys and gals, we'd still be wondering where everybody went!!! Big thanks to:

A group:    Tim Gustafson and Art North

B+ group:  Dave Davenport and Julianne North

B group:    Garry Rosseter, Howard Brown, John Moore, Rick Thompson, Dave Whyte, Ken Orlando, Rick Knight, Joe Rutherford, Tony Porter, Robert Hernandez and Daryl Purchase, Wes Eubank

B- group:   Marcel Aguirre, Kim Joiner, Marty Eubank, Marty Walch, Ernie and Becky Wiggins, Judy Moore, Dick Stillwagon

C group:    Rudy Miller, Lou Whyte, Garry McGibbon, Jeff Williams

This event gets better every year and you all are the reason for that!

Julianne

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »
From Kim:

FTF is the place to be the second weekend in November for sure!!!!

Thanks to all those who make it happen. Several of us talked about how much work goes into these events so BIG TIME THANKS.

Kim J

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 03:19:39 PM »
From Myron:

Yes indeed! It was a stupendous weekend!!!! A big THANK YOU to *everyone* who made this a grand event. And I hope those unlucky few that injured themselves get well soon!

Here's a picture that captures the spirit of the event.

[Edit: Talk about priorities?]

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »
Humberto says:

WHOAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
WHAT A WEEK END!
THANK YOU to EVERYBODY that helped to put this together.
Great food, GREAT PEOPLE, GREAT RACE.
WHAT A CLUB!

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 03:26:27 PM »
From Adele (the main volunteer coordinator):

Wow, how can I describe the week-end events? Energy Charged Biking Excitement and fun too! Can it get any Better?

It all starts with our board members who have the insight and energy for all those months of brainstorming and planning for this event to come together. Wes Eubank, Julianne North, Art North, Kevan Sheridan, Ken Orlando, and Tim Gustafson. Thank you all.

And then, there are all those Volunteers who....are the backbone of this club! These are the folks who can't wait to help out and volunteer months before the event and are anxiously awaiting their duty assignments...smiling and having a good time, and doing this all to assure that everyone has a good time, and that we ride, eat and drink and enjoy the whole week-end. So....how can I shout  "Thank You" any louder? Those two words THANK YOU, don't seem enough, you guys are the best! Dick and Rowena Stillwagon, Ken Orlando, John and Judy Moore, Marty Eubank, Lou Whyte, Marcel Aguirre, Rudy Miller, Howard Brown, Pam Brown and Howard Jr., Daryl Purchase, Marty Walsh, Robert Hernandez, Kim Joiner , Linda Martian, Ken Coser, Garrett McGibbon, Rick Knight, Mary Sheridan, Eric Odenweller, Jim Mennes, Dave Davenport, Marc Alton, Sue Lee, Shelly Lapointe, Carmen and family, Ken Mathews, Joyce Keeton, Gabrielle Falk, Julia Rutherford, Art North, and Tony Porter.
We are so lucky to have such awesome members.

A special double thank you to my good friend Linda Martian...she co-planned the volunteers schedule, shopped for food, with me and she and Ken Czoer were my right hand this whole week-end!
Thank you to all those volunteers who work on Saturday mornings through out the year to build and maintain all those trails that we enjoy riding.

And then there was the Clunker Crit. Jim Mennes, Thank You, .You did an outstanding job with the newest edition to the week-end fun, It just might be a keeper! I'm hearing some chatter from folks who are already launching a search for a clunker and planning their strategies for the second annual Swamp Clunker Crit.
And a big Thank You to all those folks who stepped up and helped to make it a success by jumping in ad riding the race in all their glory!!Costumes and Clunker Bikes!! It was a blast!

Did you notice the excitement and the Biking Buzz on Friday night at the registration and ride sign up? This is what sets the pace for the week-end- all of those smiling faces, so happy to be there.
It was truly a great event.

Adele

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 01:58:44 AM »
From Lou:

Dave and I have attend several FTF with SWAMP and they just seem to get better all the time!!!

I want to extend a great big THANK YOU to all who made this weekend such a success.  I know it takes months of planning, hours of organizing and a lot of people.  I heard so many good comments and not one single complaint about anything.

What a great club to be able to say I am a part of.  I hope many more members take at least some of their time this year to help this club in it's GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

Thanks to so many for such fun!!!!!!
Lou W

Start every day with a smile.      0      0
Then learn to share them.             \/
They are contagious.                   \__/