Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM] Scott: and allow everyone to save sic time LOL

[Today at 02:11:30 PM] FACTORe: Scott

[Today at 02:11:32 PM] Scott: yeah kick it around

[Today at 02:11:36 PM] Scott: Fe

[Today at 02:11:38 PM] FACTORe: let me have one of those giants

[Today at 02:11:42 PM] StonePony: have you ridden the S. Red?

[Today at 02:11:48 PM] FACTORe: I want to ride mastro

[Today at 02:12:16 PM] StonePony: there is a slick little section with a couple little drops I can show you if you haven't seen it

[Today at 02:12:20 PM] FACTORe: you are fast - it has to be the bike

[Today at 02:12:27 PM] Scott: Yes, I was thinkin a S Blue, Red, Yellow loop to mix it up

[Today at 02:12:58 PM] StonePony: the location I'm talking about, is s. yellow --> s. red

[Today at 02:13:06 PM] StonePony: it's after the clay pit

Advanced search  

News:

Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: did MTBing just get way more dangerous?  (Read 1706 times)

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Outside Sport/813 Racing
did MTBing just get way more dangerous?
« on: December 09, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »
I am going into my third year of MTBing and being on this forum.  It seems like there have been way more serious accidents than I remember when i first started.  Are there more people on the trails or are more people riding above their heads or is it just bad luck?

notice has been served - 813 racing is in the house

Harvey

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: did MTBing just get way more dangerous?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »
Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. Probably a little of all of the above.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
Mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport. Probably a little of all of the above.

+ 1 on what Harvey said.

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:16:33 AM »
If it is this common to get hurt, I am going to slow it down a little and ride with people that are more on my skill level.

28 months into it and

5 broken ribs
1 shattered collar bone
1 punctured lung
1 bruised lung
5 scars that will be there forever

Luis

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »
29ers are dangerous

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:46:51 AM »
I am going into my third year of MTBing and being on this forum.  It seems like there have been way more serious accidents than I remember when i first started.  Are there more people on the trails or are more people riding above their heads or is it just bad luck?

Probably a mix of all the above.  I've been riding MTB for 12 years.  I've had my share of spittin' out terra firma - goes with the sport.  Had a few simple crashes the bones weren't pleased with, but for the most part it has been good as I try not to ride over my ability.  My worst crash - recent - put me down for 100 days. It didn't happen on anything I didn't have the skills to handle, it was just a bad line and soft sand left me no out.
I see some folks don't listen to that inner NO; live to ride another day is a good mantra, build up trail experience and try not to let your buddies ego or desire to see carnage rule your ride.  There are always opportunities to learn the skills, especially in this club be it formal training sessions or a small in control group of try and try again.

moleminiman

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 11:47:59 AM »
When I first started I didn't really know as many people so it wasn't as relevant.  The more ppl you meet the more the chances are of you hearing about an injury.
Forrest
2009 29er D660 18spd Hardtail
2006 29er Redline Monocog Hardtail
2007 26" Specialized Expert Stumpjumper Full Suspension
2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp Road Bike

Dan-o

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
or just that we are getting older.......you dont just bounce off things anymore ;D
wherever you go.....there you are.

richardo

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:18:51 PM »
The older you get the less your bones bend before breaking  ;D Explains why kids never get hurt, flexible bones.

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
When I first started I didn't really know as many people so it wasn't as relevant.  The more ppl you meet the more the chances are of you hearing about an injury.

your wreck was the worse one I actually eye witnessed - You dealt with a broken collar bone pretty good

how was the healing process?  I broke mine nov 2 and it seems like it is taking more time than the ribs for sure.

MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
I believe that I may have been the first casualty out at Alafia; back before the parking area for the MTB Trailhead was completed. Right collar-bone broken into 5 pieces and a partially seperated shoulder on that first drop at the entrance to Moonscape.

Although an accident can / will happen at any time, IMHO a lot of people are riding way over their ability. I realize that we must challenge ourselves a little more each day in order to improve; however, it's OK to "skip" a section you're just not ready for yet. Or, perhaps ask to tag along with more advanced riders and ask for pointers before going "balls out".

Just my .02$

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
How much does the use of clipless pedals factor in to the danger level? I personally have avoided several bad accidents by just letting go of the bike or jumping off of my platforms. Not trying to start a them vs. us 29'r/SS/HT/FS/roadie thing just want to see if anyone will be honest about accidents that could have been avoided had they not been clipped in.
I've tried clipless and I know all about the benefits of using them. After way to many very close calls and a few trips down the side of a ridge with the bike still attached and alligators in the swamp below I opted out of clipless for good. I will put them back on for the occasional trip to flatwoods though.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

Luis

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 01:05:35 PM »
How much does the use of clipless pedals factor in to the danger level?

I would guess zero...

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:38 PM »
If it is this common to get hurt, I am going to slow it down a little and ride with people that are more on my skill level.

My 3 year old is available to ride on Saturdays after dance class and Sunday's before church or after lunch.  She prefer if you were familiar with all the Disney princesses and the names of all the dinosaurs.  Your 29'r will probably have a hard time keeping up with her killer 16'r (I think, or maybe a 12'r) complete with training wheels.

As far as clipless goes, not since switching to Time's do I feel like any of my wrecks had anything to do with not being able to unclip.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »
I've been riding mountain bikes for 12 years and while I am certainly not the fastest guy out there, I like to think my technical skills are pretty developed.

That being said, there are some mornings where I just don't "feel it", you know?
Taking forever to get warmed up, or tired, or maybe drank a little too much alcohol the night before, etc.  And if I ain't "feeling it", then I'll skip the difficult stuff, and get my miles on another trail.  Of course, there were also times when I felt like I could ride anything all day long, and pitched myself right over the bars on some innocuous little obstacle.

I just don't see any point in pressing my luck.  Listen to the little voice(s) inside your head.....lol.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 25 queries.