Author Topic: Trees/Branches down at Boyette  (Read 1324 times)

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
Trees/Branches down at Boyette
« on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:38 AM »
Just a quick FYI...
The winds of the past day or so have cause lots of debris to fall into the trails. While riding the quadrants, I moved a few large branches that clearly weren't supposed to be there. On Spider Berm, there is a big fallen tree in the middle of the trail. I figured since it was dead I could try and move it, but it's probably gonna have to be cut.
So just a heads up to keep your eyes peeled for new obstacles!

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Re: Trees/Branches down at Boyette
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 11:52:58 AM »
Is the tree/log sitting flat on the ground? How about a log obstacle on Spider Berm? It is an intermediate trail right?

Can even put a rocky ramp up to it per your other post Garry. :D
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
I imagine there are limbs, debris, and trees down on all of the trails.  Don't worry though- they'll get moved out of the way by someone that thinks it's too hard to ride over them.  8)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »
haha, well the one on Spider Berm is way to big to ride over - a good sized fallen tree trunk.... however, a ramp would be cool! :D Also makes me wonder when it fell... I'd xxxx myself if you're riding along and BOOM a tree falls before you or behind you.  :D
The others weren't big or difficult, just really in the way. It wasn't a log or something that you could ride over, more like a bouquet of branches/dead wood. I'm all about letting nature take it's course but these were really in the way.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:56:24 PM by Garry »

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:19:06 PM »
That one on North Creek is pretty huge but we all make it over with the help of a ramp. Hope the same thing happens here. Much, much easier than hauling a chain saw out there right? Some may not agree because it could mess up the flow of  a pretty fast trail. I just want the chance to tell my buddies

"You got like three feet of air that time"
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 11:30:41 PM »
There is a narrow tree down across SST that is about shoulder height......too low to ride under, but I bunny hopped right over it. Ok maybe not.

Also, Ridgline was so incredibly slippery today I can hardly describe it. Ok, it was like riding in brown vaseline with leaves..... .....The ferns are very soft, if you have to bail because you are stuck halfway up a climb because you loose all of your speed due to the brown vaseline.................not that i know....because it wasn't me................ 8) , ok it was me.........

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:21:07 PM »
There's also a tree down on Golf Cart, ~ 1/4 mile from the west end, that's gonna require a chainsaw.

And yes, Ridgeline is no place to be after (or during) a rainstorm.  Besides that and the blowdowns, it was pristine. Hooray for sand-packing rain!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
I know the tree on golfcart will go away, but it was an easy hop over.  the one on sst tried to grab my camelback on the way out.  And letting it rip down peanut butter covered hills in the rain is scary when you are not sure what the bottom is like.