Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Wet trail etiquette  (Read 11023 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Wet trail etiquette
« on: May 14, 2009, 04:23:30 PM »
Hi all,
The Tampa Bay area got like 2 inches of rain yesterday - we are way over due for rain, and soon will be in the rainy season.  On the one hand this is good for the trails; on the other hand it is bad for trails that have clay content and are low lying - which is pretty much all of the technical trails.

In order to keep the more sensitive trails in good condition we ask that you give them a day or two to drain some before riding on them.  I know, I know, "it's a day off and I'm going to ride."  No problem there, so with plenty of trails at our disposal to ride on, staying off the more sensitive, muddy, and slick clay ones until they can handle the traffic means better trails for all and less work for the few who actually do the maintenance.

If you find yourself on one of these trails that is getting rutted out with bike tires, just turn around and hit a dryer less sensitive trail until it has a chance to drain.

We don't want to have to close off trail sections, so if we just police ourselves by respecting the more sensitive trails that we have, then the trails remain in great condition to enjoy.

Thanks for your understanding of the wet, muddy, and clay type of trails we ride on.

Garry
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:27:04 PM by Garry »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Wet trail etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 04:27:46 PM »
that is great advice - the big suck is that people that never work on trails and aren't swamp members will be the worst ones about rutting up the clay....they are the ones that usually poach the trails before they are open or are closed off as well

I am going to take advantage of the newly cleaned bike lanes that ahve finally got all the debris washed off them that had been building up for months

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »
I'm headed out to Flatwoods right now. But I'm taking the 28mm slicks on the cross bike for the pavement. I'll give the trails some time to dry before I run the 35mm cross wheels around since then tend to dig ruts even when it's dry.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
tire inches to MM
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
You refer to your tires in millimeters...cool. I guess I would be running 60.96mm then.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:00:26 PM by Garry »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
that is great advice - the big suck is that people that never work on trails and aren't swamp members will be the worst ones about rutting up the clay....they are the ones that usually poach the trails before they are open or are closed off as well
I agree with you Fells, but getting the message out one way or another.  Some LBS's read the posts and they may just pass the word too.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 07:26:10 PM »
This is Posted to the BAADR board and Yahoo group as well. Good trail stewards we all should be!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: tire inches to MM
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
You refer to your tires in millimeters...cool. I guess I would be running 60.96mm then.

When they're mounted on the cyclocross bike yeah. That's what they're marked in. Converting them to inches would be an unnecessary step and frankly I really like metric. I wouldn't convert my MTB tires to metric though because that would be just as silly but in reverse (which is still silly).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:00:57 PM by Garry »

Offline cryptiq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
Hey guys, I'm coming down to WTA on Sunday from Gainesville...normally I ride the entire offroad loop main trail, with the exception of when I get on Indian.  Looking at the weather forecast, I'm guessing I should stay off of Indian, any recommendations for an alternate trail?  Should I just stay on main the whole way?
I've tasted death, it could use some hot sauce.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »
Just asking, but why would you come all the way down here from Gainesville to ride WTA? Have you been to the other trails that are not that much further south?

Or Croom?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BPK72

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 10:34:51 AM »
I was thinking of driving up from Ft Lauderdale today for a late afternoon ride at Boyette and again tomorrow morning.  Would any of those trails be a problem to ride today after the rain you got yesterday? 

Offline cryptiq

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Just asking, but why would you come all the way down here from Gainesville to ride WTA? Have you been to the other trails that are not that much further south?

Or Croom?

My buddy is picking up a new bike today (in Tampa) and we're both out of shape, so wanted to start with something familiar.  I moved up to G'ville in August of last year, and I'm ashamed to say just last week I got my bike back together to ride.  I really miss Alafia, I've asked around up here and there's apparently not much that compares.  I would definitely like to hear some suggestions if you know of any decent trails close to me.  From what I understand, Ocala Nat'l Forest is mainly flat track, but Santos is supposed to be fun...I've not seen either in person though.
I've tasted death, it could use some hot sauce.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:27 AM »
Grandpa is in good shape and has a couple of new reroutes that make it more fun now. Indian did had a couple of puddles yesterday, but if you go around the outside of them you should be OK. Gator Bait had I small puddle but again, just stay away from the mushy part and the trail will be OK. If the trails get too bad they will close them.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Wet trail etiquette - Boyette
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 10:55:01 AM »
I was thinking of driving up from Ft Lauderdale today for a late afternoon ride at Boyette and again tomorrow morning.  Would any of those trails be a problem to ride today after the rain you got yesterday?

Boyette should be dry its possible some sections of the trails are wet but not soggy.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:00:20 AM by treadlight »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Wet trail etiquette - WTA
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
Hey guys, I'm coming down to WTA on Sunday from Gainesville...normally I ride the entire offroad loop main trail, with the exception of when I get on Indian.  Looking at the weather forecast, I'm guessing I should stay off of Indian, any recommendations for an alternate trail?  Should I just stay on main the whole way?

I would stay off Indian, that sections is fun when dry but easily damaged when wet.

Luis

Re: Wet trail etiquette - WTA
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 11:01:23 AM »
I would stay off Indian, that sections is fun when dry but easily damaged when wet.

It hasn't rained in 4 months... I'm pretty sure everything has dried already.

Advertisement: