SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 10:13:36 PM] Skinman: I need a Eurotrash girl and a bike ride

[Yesterday at 10:15:15 PM] Skinman: Coach...wanna ride Croom w/us tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:23:37 PM] Coach: Love to, but the girls are reading at church

[Yesterday at 10:24:13 PM] Coach: Enjoy it!  Its been a long wait.

[Yesterday at 10:28:29 PM] mmountainbiker: anyone riding morris bridge tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:37:16 PM] Skinman: Its gonna be a 

[Yesterday at 10:37:20 PM] Skinman: RIDE FOR ME...

[Yesterday at 10:37:38 PM] Skinman: oH WAIT, THAT DIDNT WORK OUT SO WELL LAST TIME! LOL

[Yesterday at 10:38:02 PM] Skinman: oops...caps lock on

[Yesterday at 10:38:29 PM] Skinman: 60% ride for me was what i tried to say

[Yesterday at 11:02:53 PM] Coach: That only works if you ride with me!

[Yesterday at 11:03:25 PM] Coach: Those guys are gonna dust you!   ...JK

Advanced search  

News:

North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob, Getting setup....  (Read 152 times)

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
Noob, Getting setup....
« on: June 29, 2009, 07:10:19 AM »
  Hey guys, went out this weekend and picked up my helmet. Ended up with a Giro from Sports Authority. They had a decent sale going on, not to shabby of a helmet. Sure beats the $9 walmart special it replaced.   Also tuned up the bikes this weekend.  Haven't had a chance to mess with them since we moved houses.  Adjusted the disc brakes and went over everything. For some reason those disc brakes require tweaking every so often or they "rub". What's up with that? But anyway, looking forward to getting out there in about 2 weeks. Really want to take the beginer class.  Just need some gloves, and riding clothes.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Noob, Getting setup....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 07:31:47 AM »
I have owned low end to high end hydraulic brakes and mechanicals and my experience is that if you ride often you'll be required to tweak/maintain the brakes to keep the rubbing to a minimum. If the rotors are even slightly warped than this will be required more often.When I had mechanicals I found myself playing with the adjustment knobs once a month or so. The hydraulics I've had required cleaning to keep the pistons traveling in and out at the same rate. I'll remove the caliper, push the pistons out a bit but not too far, and then clean with simple green. I run them through their travel several times before blow drying and reassembling. I'm sure it will help out things if you don't ride in the rain and or mud.

Note:pay attention to how you put your wheels on so that they are seated in the drop outs properly. This will cause a rotor rub and after you think you've got it whipped it will reappear when a wheel is put back on after flat repair.

Unless you've got the money, buy some gloves and gear at Wal-Mart to get you by (better than nothing). I ride with two guys who don't own any bike specific gear and have been riding regularly for a year.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

mmountainbiker

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • 2009 trek 8000
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 07:50:17 AM »
This is just my opinion but you might want to try to buy your helmet , gloves etc at your local bike shop. I hate walmart as they are purveyors of chineese made goods.  But what about the guy that gives you advise or a free presta/schrader adapter ( as A.J."s bikes gave me the other day) or will fix your bike 15 minutes before heading out to the trail.  What has walmart done for you lately?
W.A.F. !   who cares. If she don,t like it she can go live with her mother  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIIxrUKxBg

voodoo29

• Ride Guide
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 07:53:15 AM »

I have owned low end to high end hydraulic brakes and mechanicals and my experience is that if you ride often you'll be required to tweak/maintain the brakes to keep the rubbing to a minimum. If the rotors are even slightly warped than this will be required more often.When I had mechanicals I found myself playing with the adjustment knobs once a month or so. The hydraulics I've had required cleaning to keep the pistons traveling in and out at the same rate. I'll remove the caliper, push the pistons out a bit but not too far, and then clean with simple green. I run them through their travel several times before blow drying and reassembling. I'm sure it will help out things if you don't ride in the rain and or mud.

Note:pay attention to how you put your wheels on so that they are seated in the drop outs properly. This will cause a rotor rub and after you think you've got it whipped it will reappear when a wheel is put back on after flat repair.

Unless you've got the money, buy some gloves and gear at Wal-Mart to get you by (better than nothing). I ride with two guys who don't own any bike specific gear and have been riding regularly for a year.

I have a pair of Walmart gloves, and have been using them for 2 yrs.....Why spend money on new gloves, when I can buy more bike parts.  You can even get a hydration pack there fo 10 bucks.   Riding apparel....shorts and a T-shirt work great!

The main thing is get out there and ride!!!!!

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
This is just my opinion but you might want to try to buy your helmet , gloves etc at your local bike shop. I hate walmart as they are purveyors of chineese made goods.  But what about the guy that gives you advise or a free presta/schrader adapter ( as A.J."s bikes gave me the other day) or will fix your bike 15 minutes before heading out to the trail.  What has walmart done for you lately?

Totally agree with supporting the LBS if it is at all possible. If not, better to have on Wal-Mart gear then no gear. T-shirts suck cause they are not vented like even your basic athletic jersey you'll find at wally world. Padded bike shorts will improve your overall riding experience a bunch but can be super expensive (totally worth it). Plus, bike specific shorts are light weight compaired to your typical cargo shorts. Regular shorts can give you hell once they are totally soaked with sweat.

Yeah, just get out there a ride,but try not to look like a totally newbie after you've been into this for a while. Unless, of course, you are an amazing rider. That will just F with peoples head and is priceless.Case in point, I had a buddy that was awesome at basketball but you'd never know it looking at him. He'd show up to the local court and school everyone there but people were in no way prepared since he'd arrive in jeans and work boots, and play in those same jeans and work boots. Often times he be in paint covered cloths which really threw off the pretty boys who had $150 shoes. I loved standing on the sidelines hearing what some of he thugs would say.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »
Don't forget about your Swamp discount at some of the LBS's

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 09:45:22 AM »
Not to fond of chinese/cheap items myself either.  But I bought my bike at a LBS and all the bikes in there wer China made.  The BMX world in the mid 90's... everything was USA built. Now they're all crap from china. I will be getting my gloves from a LBS, and be checking out the clothing also as I plan on staying in this sport for the long haul. Love bikes, can't really see myself at 26 yrs old going back to BMX racing though. Especially when they make you go back to the class you left at, even 10yrs ago; Expert. Not happening. I think MTB is more up my alley now and the wife might be able to participate. So I rather get the good stuff right off the bat.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:49:14 AM by 4x4TampaTaco »
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 18 queries.