SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 10:13:36 PM] Skinman: I need a Eurotrash girl and a bike ride

[Yesterday at 10:15:15 PM] Skinman: Coach...wanna ride Croom w/us tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:23:37 PM] Coach: Love to, but the girls are reading at church

[Yesterday at 10:24:13 PM] Coach: Enjoy it!  Its been a long wait.

[Yesterday at 10:28:29 PM] mmountainbiker: anyone riding morris bridge tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:37:16 PM] Skinman: Its gonna be a 

[Yesterday at 10:37:20 PM] Skinman: RIDE FOR ME...

[Yesterday at 10:37:38 PM] Skinman: oH WAIT, THAT DIDNT WORK OUT SO WELL LAST TIME! LOL

[Yesterday at 10:38:02 PM] Skinman: oops...caps lock on

[Yesterday at 10:38:29 PM] Skinman: 60% ride for me was what i tried to say

[Yesterday at 11:02:53 PM] Coach: That only works if you ride with me!

[Yesterday at 11:03:25 PM] Coach: Those guys are gonna dust you!   ...JK

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) Event registration for 2009 is open!  Information here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customer service not completely dead  (Read 146 times)

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
Customer service not completely dead
« on: July 16, 2009, 01:39:04 PM »
A couple of weeks ago I was shopping (online) for a bearing kit specifically made for my bike that I had seen months ago.  While I do not need new bearings yet, Salsa no longer makes my frame, so I thought I would get the kit (which is handy since it contains all the necessary parts), and I would have it if I needed it later.  Almost all the dealers listed the kit at $70.

However, now I could not find in-stock it anywhere.  So I sent an email to Salsa and asked if they could tell me where to find one.  That same day I got a reply from one of the techs there (Bobby).  He said that the kit just contained standard size bearings anyway and that my LBS could do it for me, blah, blah...and then he said to give him my address, and let him look around and if they had a kit he'd send it to me.  I was pretty surprised that they would do that and told him so, but he kinda shrugged it off like it was nothing.

A day or so later he followed up with another email:
"So I did some poking around and I was able to dig up a bearing kit for ya.  I'll drop it in the mail."
I got the package a few days later and it also contained a nice sheet of Salsa stickers.

Needless to say, I was very pleasantly surprised at this level of customer service provided by Salsa Cycles. 

They definitely made me a happy customer and saved me some money to boot!

Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
Re: Customer service not completely dead
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
ARRIBA!!! Salsa Salsa!

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 02:03:45 PM »
Nice to hear of stories like that.  If you don't mind a little thread hijacking, I'll relate my CS story.

I recently had my frame (front & rear triangle) warrantied by Ibis.  Not for anything structural, but for cosmetic (paint) issues.

When I first sent them an email, I didn't get some flunky answering my inquiries.  Scot Nicol (aka Chuck Ibis) answered my emails.  After several emails back and forth, I eventually got an email from Tom Morgan (who is president of Ibis Cycles, Inc.) asking for confirmation of my shipping address so that they could send me a new frame.

I too was pleasantly surprised by the level of service.  They have made me a very happy customer and a customer for life.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

jimn213

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • El Enmascarado de Plata
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »
Nice.  That's the way it oughta be...especially in your case as you were dealing with a high-end, low-volume manufacturer.  For what it cost ya, the company president ought to check up to make sure you are satisfied.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »
Ok, so here is my experience with Shimano's customer service/Tech support. Got a shimano replacement XTR crank arm (on ebay) but it had the correct part number and the length was a match. Installed it on the bike to find that the built in spindle was too short (external bearing set up). No matter what I did the left (non drive) crank arm wouldn't spline on far enough. Couldn't get the ebay guy to tell me what's up so I called shimano. The guy seemed to know what he was talking about at first but then he just turned into a dead head. He told me I got a hold of a prototype that they'd give to factory sponsered race teams. He seemed confused as to how it got in my hands. He said that it will only work on a hardtail bike. I have a FS so my first thought was "oh, ok well I'll just get my money back and put my other cranks back on". Then I started thinking more about it. Bottom bracket shells come in two sizes whether they are on a hardtail or FS. Told the guy that since I had him on the line I'd like to fully understand the issue. He then started to become a broken record and the more I pushed for an acurate explanation the more he seemed to be reading from a script. It became very apparent that this guy may have known a lot about the cranks but he was seriously lacking in knowledge of what the parts attach to. He couldn't understand no matter how many times I walked him through it that it is possible to slide the BB on the spindle outside of the BB shell. Kinda like a test fit. After a short while he just kinda became silent as if to say thats all I've got for you man. No offer to transfer me or get back with me. I fully aware that I didn't get the replacement part directly from the factory but it was still a Shimano part with the correct part number and markings.

Every single time someone has called me for tech support at work I've done the research,transferred them to someone who is more knowledgeable in the subject,or at least tried to find someone who could help. I hate the fact that you can't really expect that from people these days. Not to mention the person on ebay hasn't returned my 3-4 emails.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 03:33:48 PM »
That's the way it oughta be...

I agree
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Redriderpro

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »
Could your expectations and mine be based on the fact that we both work in the Diesel engine business world and we have to provide great customer support or starve? ( Unlike many in the bike industry )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 18 queries.