Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 03:09:41 PM] Dan-o: thats usin your err noggin

[Today at 03:09:47 PM] Dan-o: cya

[Today at 03:17:51 PM] FACTORe: Alias saddles are nice 

[Today at 04:02:39 PM] ProEdgeBiker: fe.. for lunch

[Today at 04:02:54 PM] ProEdgeBiker: cause i dont get here till late and leave early

[Today at 04:03:02 PM] FACTORe: yea- perfect

[Today at 07:06:29 PM] bikehard: Yo Bill u on?

[Today at 07:06:49 PM] bikehard: your inbox is full

[Today at 07:56:34 PM] mmountainbiker: WIFE SCREAMING=  snake in kids room

[Today at 07:58:29 PM] mmountainbiker: only 6 in long but it wasnt black

[Today at 07:59:21 PM] mmountainbiker: mouth was long and slender not wide . didnt see fangs but snake was long. Hope it wasnt poisonous

[Today at 07:59:39 PM] mmountainbiker: snake was young

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums updated to Version 2.0 RC1  on February 15, 2009

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 29er tires for our trails  (Read 482 times)

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Best 29er tires for our trails
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:01:34 PM »
I am interested in recommendations for a new set of tires for my FS 29er.

I have used Velociraptors on my 26 inch bike for the past 15 years or so and have not tried anything else till I bought the new bike. I liked those tires but they do not make them in 29 inch. I have the stock "The Captain" tires on my 29er.
They are Ok but dont have much tread for climbing. My back wheel spinning out is the main reason I fell the other day. (It didnt have anything to do with skill  :-\)
Thanks
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
Re: Best 29er tires for our trails
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 07:04:09 PM »
No help from me but I do really like my Velociraptors. They were my favorite tire in the late 90's when I was riding a lot in south florida and they work remarkably well here in the Tampa Bay area now. The tires that came on my GF HiFi Plus were a XC race style tread that just didn't grip loose stuff well. Found a pair of velociraptors and bought them on name recognition from 8 years ago and have been pretty happy. That said I'm open to alternatives since at 700-795 grams (race-comp) a piece they're pretty heavy and are not tubeless compatible if I ever wanted to go that route. Can't help but wonder that with all the advancements in compounds and tread patterns if I couldn't have something better that's also lighter.

voodoo29

• Ride Guide
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:06:01 PM »
I am interested in recommendations for a new set of tires for my FS 29er.

I have used Velociraptors on my 26 inch bike for the past 15 years or so and have not tried anything else till I bought the new bike. I liked those tires but they do not make them in 29 inch. I have the stock "The Captain" tires on my 29er.
They are Ok but dont have much tread for climbing. My back wheel spinning out is the main reason I fell the other day. (It didnt have anything to do with skill  :-\)
Thanks

I have a set of 29er WTB Exwolf's if interested.  I'm running Maxxis Ignitors now.  They seem to work well for me, and I like the low rolling resistance......Although everyone swears by the Nevegals.

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 07:39:06 PM »
You know you are going to get a BIG thumbs up from me for the Ignitors.  My Rampages were excellent for traction and cornering, but weight and rolling resistance were high.  I REALLY think you would like the Ignitors.  They are in the same category weight wise as Mt. Kings and Racing Ralph's (w/in 50 grams), but can be had for way less $.  Also, I believe there sidewall is much tougher than the others.  Unfortunately, I know you have some time to shop.   :'(
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »
I Like my Kenda Nevegals... But will try the new 29er Panaracer fire xc pro's when I need new ones http://www.bikeman.com/content/view/1151/48/
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 07:55:33 PM »
... Found a pair of velociraptors and bought them on name recognition from 8 years ago and have been pretty happy. That said I'm open to alternatives since at 700-795 grams (race-comp) a piece they're pretty heavy and are not tubeless compatible if I ever wanted to go that route. Can't help but wonder that with all the advancements in compounds and tread patterns if I couldn't have something better that's also lighter.
Try the WTB Weirwolves for comparison, I think you'll like them too.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys...
Have you ever tried Kenda tires? I found some online for $16

I have credit card and lots of time...I may have quite a few tires to try out when I get back on the horse ;D
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:19 PM »
I have heard that the Nevegals are not nearly as good as a 29er as the 26ers.  Too heavy and too much rolling resistance.  My experience with the Weirwolves was that I was not as confident in the corners with them (strictly my own opinion). 
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys...
Have you ever tried Kenda tires? I found some online for $16

I have credit card and lots of time...I may have quite a few tires to try out when I get back on the horse ;D

Kenda makes the Nevegals I have and others swear by. you wont find those new for $16...

I would not go "Cheap" on tires (just looking at price), but find the lowest price for the highest quality and best rated tire. They will last longer and are worth the extra money. Make sure thew tread is good for what you want, and that the compounds they use will last.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:45:15 AM by Darrinw2001 »
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:45 PM »
The WTB Exiwolf is supposed to be one of the lowest rolling resistance 29er tires out there.  They came on my Monocog and I've been running them over over a year now.  They seem pretty good in wet and dry conditions.  Never really had any traction issues.  I'd be hard pressed to try anything else at this point.

Specialized's "The Captain" is supposed to be a really good 29er tire...but it is a bit pricey.

Rob A

• SWAMPer
  • First Bike
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
My Racing Ralphs worked great at Alafia.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
Just ordered the Kenda Nevgals for the back and the Tomac small block for the front...I may change them around....
I am so bored waiting for the ribs to heal I may have dozens of tires when its time to ride again.
Thanks for all the input

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
I said that backwards ....nevgal for the front......

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 09:05:47 PM »
I was about to say...that SB8 is going to suck up front under most conditions in FL.  I ran the SB8 rear w/Nevegal front on my 26" wheel bike.  Awesome grip.  It had some issues on climbs with wet roots, but otherwise it was perfect.  Let us know how you like the combo on your 29er. 

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »
Just ordered the Kenda Nevgals for the back and the Tomac small block for the front...I may change them around....
I am so bored waiting for the ribs to heal I may have dozens of tires when its time to ride again.
Thanks for all the input
$16 for a 29er tire?  Stay away from it!!!

You may want to use the SB8 in the back.  You may want a grippy tire in the front instead.  About the slipping on climbs every tire is different.  Some have low rolling resistance but you will need to shift your weight differently so it doesn't spin out on your. 

I use Ignitors in the front and SB8 in the back.  I prever the Maxxis Crossmark in the back though.  I have also use the Hutchinson Python 29er in the back but it doesn't hold Stans well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 25 queries.