Author Topic: Good Light Weight all around tire??  (Read 5034 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Good Light Weight all around tire??
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:35 AM »
  What kind of tires are you guys running for the type of trails we have around here?  I guess width is the other half of this question. 2.10 seems to be an average width.  We seem to have a lot of sand, roots and med/hard pack dirt correct? I've been looking for a new set of tires...  eyeing the IRC Mibro's and the Kenda small blocks and Komodos. all in a 26x2.10 for F&R. Want to limit the price tag to $50/ea tire.  Really can't see how spending more than that on a bike tire will really help.  But I am putting emphasis on weight. 

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Good Light Weight all around tire??
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 09:17:17 AM »
Performance bike has the Michelin XCR Dry 2 on sale for $21.99 usually a $60 tire and is one of my favorites. It has a short tread and rolls GREAT but the Knobs are Stiff and hook up well. 26"x 2.0"

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
There are many fans of the Panaracer Fire XC tire here and they usually run less than $30/tire.

I run the Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear of my Blur and generally like it - it is light, rolls well, and gives good traction (in the right conditions).  The tire does suck in the wet as it packs with mud and doesn't shed it well, but under normal trail conditions here (dry, relatively hardpacked) it does very well.  I wouldn't run the SB8 in the front and would go with some more like a Kenda Blue Groove or Nevegal.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »
All of the above are good tires. I really like the Kenda Kosmik Lite II. They are 480 grams, fast rolling and a surprising amount of grip. Especially in fast turns. They have an m.s.r.p. of around 50, but can be purchased online for between 25 and 30.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
There are many fans of the Panaracer Fire XC tire here and they usually run less than $30/tire.

I run the Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear of my Blur and generally like it - it is light, rolls well, and gives good traction (in the right conditions).  The tire does suck in the wet as it packs with mud and doesn't shed it well, but under normal trail conditions here (dry, relatively hardpacked) it does very well.  I wouldn't run the SB8 in the front and would go with some more like a Kenda Blue Groove or Nevegal.

I know about 5 or 6 people who run the SB8 in rear and Nevegal in the front... it seems to work great for those who do...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:19:09 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  keep it coming.  looks like a good "light" weight 26x2.10 tire is low 500g to 800g's.  Wonder what my stock Kenda tires weigh... heck I don't even know what model tires they are.  Check that out tonight after work.   

As for the SB8/Nevegal setup.  Seems like the SB8 is a drive tire and the Nevegal or whatever has more bite and direction for a steer wheel.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »
800 grams is heavy as hell for a tire. That is about 2 pounds per tire. A light weight tire would be 600 or less.  Rotating weight is the best place to shave grams.

if you go to kenda's website, you can find your tire on there. It will tell you the weight of the tire.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 10:30:45 AM »
Per Kenda, a non-UST SB8 in 2.1 size is 520g, Nevegal about 620g, Blue Groove about the same as the Nevegal, and a Kozmic Lite about 450g.

www.kendausa.com for more info.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:36:42 AM »
Per Kenda, a non-UST SB8 in 2.1 size is 520g, Nevegal about 620g, Blue Groove about the same as the Nevegal, and a Kozmic Lite about 450g.

[url=http://www.kendausa.com]www.kendausa.com[/url] for more info.

Right.  The difference between the nevegal and the kosmik lite is .375 pounds. I know that may seem like it is not a lot, but as I mentioned rotating weight is a great place to shave weight.

That said, lighter is not always better. Some of it depends on the kind of riding you do, and the kind of bike that you ride.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »
pricepoint has both the Nevegal ($35) and SB8 ($33) on sale and the Kosmic Lite II for $37 each.... 

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »
I'll check the model of Kenda's I currently have and see what they weigh.  At this weekends ride I felt like I was driving a sherman tank through the woods.  My stock front suspension was a lot better than having none in the rear, huge difference there.  I could keep the front wheel on the ground much better. The rear wheel kept bounching all over gods green earth.  And I know what you guys mean by rotating mass, I'm a physics/engineering geek.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 12:35:26 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:35:32 PM »
I asked a similar question about 29er tires a couple weeks ago. based on advice from this forum I have bought a Kenda Nevgal, Small Block 8 and an Ignightor. All 2.2's. Wont be trying the SB8 until the fall.....
I have 2.0 "the Captain" tires I got stock which are extremely light but I wanted to expiriment, I dont like them in the mud/wet.

29er tires tend to get very heavy very quickly!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »
The more I look around at tires, the more I'm leaning toward the Kenda Komodo's in a 26x2.10.  Seem to have a medium tread aggression, light weight etc. Almost like a All Terrain for a jeep...  Does anyone have any experiences with these tires????

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 04:29:40 PM »
The more I look around at tires, the more I'm leaning toward the Kenda Komodo's in a 26x2.10.  Seem to have a medium tread aggression, light weight etc. Almost like a All Terrain for a jeep...  Does anyone have any experiences with these tires? ???

They look very similar in tread pattern to the Panaracer XC fire pros, and the weight is similar too. They look like a good comprise, between low weight and aggressive tread....

You might want to look at Maxxis ignitors also.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
The more I look around at tires, the more I'm leaning toward the Kenda Komodo's in a 26x2.10.  Seem to have a medium tread aggression, light weight etc. Almost like a All Terrain for a jeep...  Does anyone have any experiences with these tires? ???

they get mixed reviews on MTBR http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Tire/kenda/komodo/PRD_412549_151crx.aspx plus they are only 60 tpi and not made with good of a material as the others.. hench they are cheaper..

SB8 and nevegals get much better reviews http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/Tire/kenda/small-block-eight/PRD_413220_151crx.aspx