SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 11:55:50 PM] Skinman: My bike didnt make funny noises today. Thats a victory

[Yesterday at 11:56:26 PM] billnye: o/ Funny silences!

[Yesterday at 11:56:31 PM] billnye: \o/

[Yesterday at 11:56:42 PM] billnye: bastard shoutbox ate my arm

[Yesterday at 11:57:32 PM] Skinman: I ride an FSR silence IS golden!!!

[Yesterday at 11:59:37 PM] billnye: my current ride doesn't have any issues, but I rode for years on a set of Profile cranks that creak up a storm

[Today at 12:01:25 AM] Skinman: AJ's found my problem...a Friggin skewer with grit in it

[Today at 12:01:39 AM] Skinman: thing would wake the dead

[Today at 12:01:58 AM] Skinman: I thought it was the bottom braket

[Today at 12:02:40 AM] Skinman: Loudest thing on abike I ever heard. Tonight...not a sound

[Today at 12:03:13 AM] Skinman: just my ribs grinding together trying to keep up with 23 mph Gregg

[Today at 12:30:37 AM] mmountainbiker: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a Bike Rack for a Sedan...?  (Read 260 times)

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
Re: Need a Bike Rack for a Sedan...?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »
thanks for the tip.  Man I didn't think switching out vehicles would impair my riding this much.... Bike racks, Tires, paper work, Jeez.  But when I'm done setting this car up I'll be good for a long long time. and I can cheaply Scoot my way to the rides across the county w/out going bankrupt on fuel. Might have to skip one more week!!! dang it. But this weekend might be a wash anyway with the storms brewing. 

Dan

• First Bike
  • Newb rider
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 07:08:41 AM »
Taco, funny the irony with associating Honda's and fart cans, as I did too in my 869 rear wheel horse power Camaro SS days. I love my Accord and all the Honda's I've owned (8 of them now) as daily drivers. You really can't beat them for reliability.

Regarding the rack - I upgraded from my neighbors hand me down when the gf and I upgraded from Walmart bikes to real bikes and got the Yakima King Joe 3 w Saris Bike Beam connectors. Have had no issues with scratching damage at this point, and more importantly the object of my affection and abuse have not been ejected from the back of my car.

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:40:27 AM »
Ok.  Looked around.  I seem to like the Yakima King and Super Joes in a 2x model. Any reason to go with one over the other? Any reason either one really sucks?

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Ok, I'll admit. I like the King Joe 2x the best.  Seems top notch.

luckynumber9

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:49 PM »
For those saying a bones on a clear car won't scratch; how fast and how far are you going?  I always make sure the rack is going on a clean surface but still have scratches.  Then again my rack is hauling bikes for at least 1.5 hours in each direction and usually at 80mph, I'm assuming that has something to do with it.

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 10:12:24 PM »
hhhmmm.  It's the vibrations. I think a fix might be wrapping a rag around the contact points? Or using wax paper as a barrier? Neoprene barrier? Wax the area regularly before putting the rack on might help too.  I use Liquid Glass. It's some kind of deal where it cures in the sun. Best stuff ever. Just trying to come up with a remedy.

luckynumber9

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:38 PM »
putting some wax on might help.  I put socks over the legs, no help.  I put microfiber clothes under the legs, that kind of left scratches from the cloths (like scratched the texture of the cloths into the clear coat).  I'm kind of to the point of saying F it.  I already have the scratches, and repainting the trunk lid if I ever want to sell is cheaper than buying a rack and hitch

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 07:27:44 AM »
Hhhm.  What about those clear "paint protection" shields.  You know, they get put on with heat, like a window film.  A lot of new cars have them stock in certain locations. Could probably have a shop do that right where you need it only. and then remove it when you sell the car.

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 08:00:35 AM »
Ok, now you guys done did it.  Debating a Hitch rack system. B/c I was wanting a hitch anyway for towing utility trailers and maybe a jon boat later on. So after I pay for the $100 rack, repaint the mint paint job on this honda... forget that. Buy the dang hitch.  Uh... great. lol.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »
Since you're going to put a hitch on the Honda anyway, you'd be better off with a hitch rack.

4x4TampaTaco

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 04:52:07 PM »
Seems that way.  Has a 2,000# tow rating. That's plenty for a small trailer, jon boat, bikes etc. I'll go that route.....  And best part: when not in use, you get 30+MPG's.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 18 queries.