Author Topic: WTA 50  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
WTA 50
« on: November 09, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »
Hey Gary -- Are you planning on the third annual WTA 50, known in my household as the "Gary Classic?"

Offline SWAMPTHaNG

• First Bike
Re: WTA 50
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 11:57:54 AM »
I'M NOT GARY, BUT WHAT IS THE WTA AND WHEN?

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 12:35:12 PM »
It's in the first week or two in January. It's usually the same day as one of the better known 50s up state, Tour de San Felasco. The San Felasco ride sells out in a matter of days, so Gary, God bless him, started a self-sag 50 at the Flatwoods/Trout Creek/Morris Bridge (WTA) trails northeast of Tampa for all the people that couldn't sign up for San Felasco. It's 25 miles in one direction, and then the same loop in the opposite direction. As noted, it's self SAG, no entry fee. Essentially about 30-50 people who want to ride 25 or 50 miles on an easy track without all the hoopla of some of the other 50 milers.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
Hey Gary -- Are you planning on the third annual WTA 50, known in my household as the "Gary Classic?"
Yes, 1-9-10. Gonna' try to add some odd forgotten trails into it if I can.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
I'M NOT GARY, BUT WHAT IS THE WTA AND WHEN?
Actually the WT-50.  (Wilderness Trails 50.)  WTA = Wilderness Trails Association.

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 11:12:46 PM »
I'm interested now. Other than the almost never ridden Sinkhole and some of the double-tracks, I'm curious to see what's been forgotten. I mean I know about the Circle K shortcut but that's not really a trail and there's a piece of overgrown abandoned trail branching off east end of Gatorbait that doesn't seem to go anywhere. There's an interesting little piece of trail if you go SW at 21 but it just goes to the river and stops; looks to be used by fishermen now but I can't help but think that  the one little dippy section had to have been put there for bikes originally. There's a bunch of long neglected double track between the paved loop and the river branching off from the pump stations mostly and as far as I can tell going nowhere.

Trying to jog my memory I'm looking at the map and I'm seeing two legs of Panther, wtf? I don't remember there being a branch on that trail and I've ridden Panther many dozens of times by now and I have a habit of exploring any trail I can find. Have I missed something that's on the map this long?

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
Gary, I'd like to help with the layout. I know of at least 5 trails that we used to use back in the 80's that I would be happy to scout out and rehab before it's time for the event.

Let me know.

Frank
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: WT 50 aka "The Garry Classic"
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
Great news. Thanks Garry. We look forward to it.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:17 PM »
Ride only official and open trails please.  The fireroads as well.  Do not take anyone into the old renegade trails that have been closed.  They were closed for a reason.

By "...odd forgotten trails..." I think Gary meant to say the trail sequence in which he did the WT50 last year.  I don't think he meant old trails that have been closed.  So stop looking for them!   ;D

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
Ride only official and open trails please.  The fireroads as well.  Do not take anyone into the old renegade trails that have been closed.  They were closed for a reason.

By "...odd forgotten trails..." I think Gary meant to say the trail sequence in which he did the WT50 last year.  I don't think he meant old trails that have been closed.  So stop looking for them!   ;D

Oh, now we have to find them and ride them....
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
I know where they are but I ain't tellin....

Unless we get a ONE DAY type of aproval to use for the WTA 50 which would be special.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 04:59:22 PM »
I drove by Hole in the fence and trout creek today because I was in the hood and had not been there in awhile. They were not collecting any money yet, so why are they charging the $2 parking for the night ride? I understand the other money to pay the ranger...
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
Kinda off-topic but meh...

They're charging at the Bruce B Downs entrance and at the Mpentrance to the paved loop off Morris Bridge. I don't know about the other entrances. Seems like they would need a lot of extra manpower to enforce the fees or they'll have to close entrances and parking areas. Maybe they'll go to some kind of self-serve parking meter that spits out tickets or something but right now I have wonder if they,ve got the rangers doing anything other than collecting fees and if they can even get any other work done. Can't help but wonderf if the extra revenue even covers the expenses of collecting it.