SWAMP Community Forums
February 04, 2008, 04:54:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Should Stationary/Trainer Miles count on RideJournal?  (Voting closed: March 08, 2007, 05:26:21 PM)
Yes, always - 3 (30%)
Yes, But only for injured - 5 (50%)
I don't Care - 0 (0%)
No, but Dr orders it's alright - 0 (0%)
No, Never - 2 (20%)
Total Voters: 10

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bike related weights and measures  (Read 1158 times)
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

ssrigid29erposer

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 01:42:05 PM »

on the bike journal website they count stationary as miles
Those miles should be outdooors only.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 02:17:35 PM »

on the bike journal website they count stationary as miles
Those miles should be outdooors only.

i didn't know that - i was just going by the bike journals website - they count both outside and indoor (trainer, stationary or roller)

Speaking of which - has anybody tried riding a roller before?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 02:22:57 PM by FACTORe » Logged

Kevan
Assistant Wheel Spinner
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 04:18:38 PM »

Actually, RideJournal allows you to track whatever miles you want to track. 

I think FACTORe was right in pointing out that the site allows you to track trainer hours.

However, Treadlight may be wondering, for the sake of our competition, IF we would want to allow trainer or stationary miles... or keep it strictly to outdoor miles.

Earlier someone said "miles are miles".  Even though that was about Road vs. Off-Road.

When you enter your miles you can track what kind of miles they are as well as what club to assign them to.

Allowing stationary miles to be included takes the road/dirt question to the next level. It also allows Gim... I mean Gregg an opportunity to put in miles as well. Anyone else that gets rained out and willing to put in the trainer time too.

No it's not the same kind of miles..but...

Vote?

I would say, as long as we all agree and track honest miles, that ...  miles are miles.

..And Ells gets more respect points for hard earned race miles...   Wink

Cannondale Prophet 1000 (Blue)
FACTORe
SWAMPer
Yellow Jersey

813 Racing

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »

i say miles are miles - i personally go insane after about 15 minutes on a trainer/stationary bike - with the advancement in trainers that are controlled by software,  you can actually (if you can stand to be on one of those horrible machines for more than 15 minutes) get very precise workouts where the computer is controlling resistance etc.   

i think most would agree that 10 miles at reddick is way harder than 10 miles at flatwoods which is way harder than 10 miles on the gandy bridge so where do we draw the line on what counts?

Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 05:48:43 PM »

Miles are miles, but actually riding a bike to get those miles seems to add a bit of the excitement to it.  However I hate to see an injured bud miss out on mileage because stationary are included.  Maybe have it be outdoor actually riding a bicycle, and if a participent in the "journal miles" is injured and part of the rehab is stationary miles then let him/her record those.  Does that cover all of the bases?  No way do I think stationary, software assist or not, can match actual off road miles; maybe road miles, but not off road.
Can you imagine horse back dressage riding on a trainer?  I say for the injured, but otherwise outside.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:52:45 PM by Garry » Logged
EllsRider
SWAMPer
Ninja Master Cyclist

813Racing

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 06:43:49 PM »

R  E  S  P  E  C  T !!! I'll take it!!
I don't have a problem with stationery miles. You are spinning your wheels for the allowed miles and FactorE is right, those miles may be in the mountains in Europe! (with the right software)

" Not this time, Lance"
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 07:01:04 PM »

So if I understand you guys I can only count those miles until the doctor or physical therapist clears me to ride outside?

I agree that stationary miles are boring, but I know that you guys who are addicted to this sport ( I think that describes all of you), and are really driven to keep riding can really understand how much I miss getting on my bike and rolling. At this point I will take what I can get.

Thanks,
The rider to nowhere

This Pink Bunny Bites!
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 09:43:47 PM »

miles are miles..  yep.. even in a MOUNTAIN BIKE CLUB!!  miles are just that..  miles. if you are turning pedals i dont care if its a BIG WHEEL, those miles count...

however (comma space), ......  there are places within the bike journal where you can record the type of ride that you did. ....

for instance in my case.  this month i did two rides on the road  *GASP*  ohhh  but i was on my Mountain Bike..  so those miles are logged on Ride, Road, Flat....  Not Ride, Off ROAD, Singletrack..  so its a matter of being honest.  and i think we're all a bunch of stand up guys...lol   Roll Eyes

so yep miles are miles, even for gimpy over there. but he'll be over 3000 by the time this years over I can almost guarantee that one.. 

=Bob  Grin

p.s. glad I could help...  (give input that is..)   Tongue

What's Better Than Riding?
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »

Yeah I probably will, but if I break any records, we have to put an asterisk next to it.

This Pink Bunny Bites!
Kevan
Assistant Wheel Spinner
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »

You should know by now that we have a poll going for the next 15 days.

You must first vote before you can see the results.

That way your vote will not be effected by previous votes.

Vote today.

Cannondale Prophet 1000 (Blue)
treadlight
Pinoy MTBer
SWAMPer
Cycling Sherpa

ssrigid29erposer

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »

I would say that miles logged should only be outdoors. This defeats the reason why we ride "To Enjoy The Outdoors" if we count the indoor miles in the trainer. No offense to the indoor trainers those things are tough regardless if its magnetic, hydro, etc.

But I would recommend to let Gregg count his indoor miles as the exception to the rule for reason that he was sidelined doing what everybody loves to do.

"When you earnestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you can't do"-----------Anonymous
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 08:09:24 PM »

you need to annotate that its stationary bike or trainer miles..  not bike road or offroad.. 

but great poll garry..

=Bob  Grin

What's Better Than Riding?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: