SWAMP Community Forums
February 04, 2008, 04:54:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Login with username, password and session length
News: SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Forum Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WALK THE RIDE!!!  (Read 683 times)
eatdirt1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« on: February 16, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »

yesterday i had a bad experince,i went to  ride in the late afternoon,it was one of those times that you only have so much time before the sun goes down,and all of the suden your doing a night ride even if you didnt plan for it,but that wasnt the case,after 15 minutes into the ride,going up hill my chain snaped,it felt like i was going to eat the ground,the good thing about it was that i uncliped and didnt fall or broke anything else.then the worst thig was walking back about 2 miles. Grin
anybody else cares to share there experinces.. Grin

LIVE THE RIDE
             RIDE THE DREAM!!!
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:22:50 PM »

well now that kinda sucks...   Angry  do you carry a chain tool with you when riding??

as for experiences, well the worst one would be......  back in the day, Tsali, North Carolina, about 8 miles into the trail and my derailluer (I have no idea how to spell it) hanger broke.  Sad

But the best part is Specialized frames at the time, did not have replaceable derailluer hangers so my frame was toast!  Shocked   They did warranty it but riding for the rest of the weekend was over for me.  I did do some nice hikes though..

=BOb   Grin

What's Better Than Riding?
Gregg
Ride Guide
Yellow Jersey

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »

Once I was riding Flatwoods/Trout Creek/Morris Bridge. I had parked at Bruce b. Downs. I was on the southern most part of Indian and I got a flat. It turned out that I had the wrong kind of tube with me.

It was a long long walk.

Huh

This Pink Bunny Bites!
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 01:12:36 PM »

now that really stinks.... Angry

=Bob

eatdirt1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 01:35:38 PM »

i had no tools in my truck,but even if i did,it took me about 20 minutes to get back,on foot,and it was getting dark.the only good thing is that from the park to my lbs is about 10 minutes,so i went there and they fixed it for me. Grin

LIVE THE RIDE
             RIDE THE DREAM!!!
BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 03:14:20 PM »

You guys had to bring a thread like this up today huh  Angry
Today at the precise point that is the farthest from my car my new bike broke,   Cry
The bolt that is in the horst link went missing and made the bike totally inop.  I started humping back to the car but luckily a ranger spotted me and offered a ride to the parking lot. 

Yeah to the Park Rangers  Kiss

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 03:34:13 PM »

Sean,

So now what?  Did you loose the part on the trail or just did not tighten it enough and its on the floor at the house?

If you need Loctite, Red or Blue, I have plenty.  Just let me know.

=BOb    Grin

eatdirt1
Amatuer Billy Goat

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 03:56:14 PM »

Sean,

So now what?  Did you loose the part on the trail or just did not tighten it enough and its on the floor at the house?

=BOb    Grin
hey,that's a good idea,ill put some of that red loctite on my chain Grin

LIVE THE RIDE
             RIDE THE DREAM!!!
BeerCan
Global Moderator
Cycling Sherpa

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »

Sean,

=BOb    Grin

Lost the bolt on the trail.  Really freaked me out because at first I thought I broke the frame.  I just got back from the hardware store and the replacement bolt was 15 cents so I purchased 4  Grin   Thanks for the offer of loctite but I have a bit of it lying around.

Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
Garry
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 05:38:02 PM »

yesterday i had a bad experince,i went to  ride in the late afternoon,it was one of those times that you only have so much time before the sun goes down,and all of the suden your doing a night ride even if you didnt plan for it,but that wasnt the case,after 15 minutes into the ride,going up hill my chain snaped,it felt like i was going to eat the ground,the good thing about it was that i uncliped and didnt fall or broke anything else.then the worst thig was walking back about 2 miles. Grin
anybody else cares to share there experinces.. Grin

I broke my chain on SSt at Boyette heading back to parking so my walk wasn't as bad.  If I would have been farther out I would have stopped to put a Power Link on and rode the bike out.  One of those tiny parts to carry that make all difference of walking or riding.
Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 09:55:17 PM »

yeah..  power link good!!!!

=Bob   Tongue

SandPine
Ride Guide
Ninja Master Cyclist

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 11:16:31 PM »

Power links?Huh  I usually have bout 6 or 8 of them already on my chain.  Just ask anyone.. .hehehehehe...

Please explain to us less knoledgeable what is Loctite and why would you put it on your chain?  Is that some kind of grease?

Worse experience for me is riding Abyss alone at about 6pm in the evening (before time changed).  I took a spill in the last drop of the new abyss and went into the bushes. I was too lazy to pull my bike up properly and I janked it out by the rear tire.  My brake lever snapped out.  I have hayes hydrolics.  I jammed the piston back in but it really got jammed and my front brake locked up on me very very bad.  I could not take the tire off to release the brake.  I broke the brake tube to remove the fluid thinking it would release the break but no luck.  An hour went by and it got dark on me and I had no light.  I finally took the brake cinlinder off the fork and pull it out off my brake disc.  I removed the brake pads and put the cylinder back.  I rode out of boyette at dark with no light from way back in the Abyss to parking lot with no front brakes.   I now carry a little cateye spare light all the time.

Another time at Boyette... I broke the bolt holding the seat to the seat post.  I was in the inner lock ness so I had to ride out standing.  That was not fun at all.  I got so tired so I would walk half the time.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 11:19:52 PM by MrSandPine » Logged

Trek
Hardtail Monkey
Global Moderator
Ninja Master Cyclist

On Your Left!!

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 08:09:59 AM »

Marcel,

Loctite is used to hold bolts in place.  It is like glue for bolts, not a lube at all.  There are various strengths of Loctite depending on how often you service that particular bolt.

for instance, Red loctite goes where you dont want to remove the bolt (almost never) and you do not want the bolt to loosen.

Blue loctite, not quite as strong, but holds well, good for bolts that you dont want to loosen, but want to be able to remove them without heating them up with a torch first..  LOL...  like your sprocket bolts on your cranks...

Yellow, is the weakest, put on seat clamp, or water bottle cage or something..  Also can you Anti Seize where you would put yellow... 

Hope that helps..  From your friendly neighborhood mechanic..

=Whiskey..

p.s. I did 30.5 last night!!!   Grin so i guess i still got you for now...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: