SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!
Advanced search  

News:

The purpose of this forum is to provide mountain bikers a place to have civil conversations and learn or teach mtb'ing. The best place for dirt and mud is on the trails.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: J. B. Starkey Wilderness Park  (Read 263 times)

ProEdgeBiker.com

• Specialized my Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
J. B. Starkey Wilderness Park
« on: February 22, 2010, 09:58:14 AM »

Just wondering, is there plans to make some MTB trails in J. B. Starkey Wilderness Park?

this dude i work with told me he saw some SWAMPers out there and was told that there were plans in the works.

Funny thing is that if you go to http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/starkey-park.html the 1st picture that pops up is MTBing in the woods but i know people that have been told to get off the off-road trails.

C.

Paintboy

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Dudes Ride club
Re: J. B. Starkey Wilderness Park
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »

I live right by there. And been using that park since it opened. it would great if they did open the trails up . but for now those trails you speaking about are for hiking only.. If you would like to ride head north on the power  lines and you will run into the sorenova tract.that has alot area that you can ride . That would be a great area to develop in to some trails..

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »

As far as I know SWFWMD is not very keen on letting outsider groups into their properties to make or manage trails. The only exception that I know of is Wilderness parks and that is due to Hillsborough county managing the area. I know that a lot of their  properties have multi-use trails that allow biking, but they are shared with equestrians and hikers and usually are not single-track but forest type roads that are not much fun to ride.   
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 11:04:31 AM »

then their website has some False Advertising by slapping a pic of an MTBer..

Singletrack Samurai

• Amatuer Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:26 AM »

As far as I know SWFWMD is not very keen on letting outsider groups into their properties to make or manage trails. The only exception that I know of is Wilderness parks and that is due to Hillsborough county managing the area. I know that a lot of their  properties have multi-use trails that allow biking, but they are shared with equestrians and hikers and usually are not single-track but forest type roads that are not much fun to ride.

Have you seen the pictures? Those guys look pretty happy!

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:56 PM »

I spoke with some one in the know to be named at a later date :) last year about this very subject. They were plotting trails, not sure where they're at currently with this project.

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

Only the roadies look happy.  Paved roads through the forest make them happy.

Back when I was in the Boy Scouts we spent a weekend up at this park (this was back in the early to mid 90's).  At the time they had a huge paved loop similar to Flatwoods and a bunch of offroad multi-use singletrack trails as well.  A few of us did some trail riding and didn't run into any issues with getting kicked out.  The only issue we did run into was one of our leaders got closelined by a piece of unmarked barbed wire that was drawn across the trail at about eye level.  Luckily he only had a few deep cuts...nothing serious. 

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »

The paved section is still there and accessable off the Suncoast trail about 2 miles North of 54, it is a nice section of trail about 7 miles one way with facilities at the park end :)

ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »

Only the roadies look happy.  Paved roads through the forest make them happy.

Back when I was in the Boy Scouts we spent a weekend up at this park (this was back in the early to mid 90's).  At the time they had a huge paved loop similar to Flatwoods and a bunch of offroad multi-use singletrack trails as well.  A few of us did some trail riding and didn't run into any issues with getting kicked out.  The only issue we did run into was one of our leaders got closelined by a piece of unmarked barbed wire that was drawn across the trail at about eye level.  Luckily he only had a few deep cuts...nothing serious. 

Well i hope you guys were prepared.

1st off by having your Cycling & your Fist Aid Badges:

Then you would of Gotten the Medicine Badge:

ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »

The paved section is still there and accessable off the Suncoast trail about 2 miles North of 54, it is a nice section of trail about 7 miles one way with facilities at the park end :)

when i do suncoast i go from 54 to 52 then into the park 5mi in and out to get 30mi total. it would be nice if they made some off road trails in there.

Harvey

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 03:03:22 PM »

Funny this should pop up when I was exploring out there yesterday. There are trails in the works. They have been approved in an area south of the Anclote River in the tract. We went out there with some directions to get to a defunct bridge over the river, but the river is so high we couldn't get to where we could climb onto the bridge to cross. We left by heading south on the powerline cut and left that in Longleaf. There are mega roads out there, which I am going to explore more extensively with my GPS in the near future.

The official word is that as soon as SWFMUD rebuilds the bridge, we'll be able to start cutting trails. Don't know what that timeframe is, though.

ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 06:43:28 PM »

Funny this should pop up when I was exploring out there yesterday. There are trails in the works. They have been approved in an area south of the Anclote River in the tract. We went out there with some directions to get to a defunct bridge over the river, but the river is so high we couldn't get to where we could climb onto the bridge to cross. We left by heading south on the powerline cut and left that in Longleaf. There are mega roads out there, which I am going to explore more extensively with my GPS in the near future.

The official word is that as soon as SWFMUD rebuilds the bridge, we'll be able to start cutting trails. Don't know what that timeframe is, though.

HELLS YES!

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »

That would be the closest trail system to my house if they do. There is a nice Orienteering course at Stakey as well. Great for teaching my scouts. Its a huge tract of land. Would be nice to have some place to carve that wasnt 45 minutes away!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Paintboy

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »

Skinman

Is that orienteering course for everybody????

Singletrack Samurai

• Amatuer Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 03:44:45 PM »

That would be the closest trail system to my house if they do. There is a nice Orienteering course at Stakey as well. Great for teaching my scouts. Its a huge tract of land. Would be nice to have some place to carve that wasnt 45 minutes away!

google map satellite image, you would be surprised what you find close by to ride...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 20 queries.