Author Topic: Going to try Stan's again, should I try the "Ghetto" set up?  (Read 2415 times)

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Dont know if I want to Spend $60 plus on the whole Stan's kit, Anyone here ever done the "Ghetto" set up w/ BMX tubes or Gorilla tape w/ success? Thoughts?
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Turner Spot and Giant Reign X
Re: Going to try Stan's again, should I try the "Ghetto" set up?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
Dont know if I want to Spend $60 plus on the whole Stan's kit, Anyone here ever done the "Ghetto" set up w/ BMX tubes or Gorilla tape w/ success? Thoughts?

BMX tubes work fine and are more secure than tape only.  Some rims also need a few wraps of tape in the center if the rim profile isn't ideal - see notubes.com for rim setup tips:

http://www.notubes.com/support_selecting.php

Easiest thing is just to buy the notubes quart bottle or you can find some recipes online but if you aren't doing too many wheels its easier just to buy the premade stuff.

Avoid caffelatex - it sucks arse and its overpriced (I experience lack of sidewall sealing problems myself on Monday, fortunately right after a ride...):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=571521

Oh and buy my Turner Spot while you are at it too :D

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:04:57 PM »
I love the bmx tubes set up. Done it both ways but the tape just didn't hold in my case. BMX tubes make that good seal.

Offline jmdeluca05

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
I was going to go tubeless just to cut down on some weight.  The great guys at Bent's told me its not worth it, if your not going to do it  the right way, and probably would end up adding weight. Hope that helps.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »
I just like running a lower tire pressure on my hardtail and tubeless gives me a little extra squish. I could care less about saving an ounce or two... I'll cut back on the beer if that's the case. :D

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 08:24:32 PM »
looking more for the less air, no more flats. my tires are super light now....

Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 08:25:02 PM »
Here are some vids -
how to do "ghetto" tubeless part 1

I wouldn't use metal levers and if you do use levers be careful you don't damage the tire bead.  You can take off/put on most tires by hand if you get the tire bead all the way around into the center drop/tirewell before you try to pull it off/put it on.

Bent's is wrong - tubeless, even ghetto tubeless has weight benefits, no pinchflats, seals minor to medium punctures on its own, and you get better traction as you can run lower pressures and lose the friction between the tire and tube.  The disadvantage is its a PITA to change tires.  You can use most regular tubed tires with the BMX method securely and they now make "tubeless ready" tires these days with this in mind versus the heavier UST tires.

Offline jmdeluca05

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
I just like running a lower tire pressure on my hardtail and tubeless gives me a little extra squish. I could care less about saving an ounce or two... I'll cut back on the beer if that's the case. :D

I here ya.  I'm on f/s now, so tire pressure is not a big deal.  I still get by with running 32 psi with no issues.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
I also love the extra handling and grip since more tire is on the ground.

Funny story at Boyette... the wife's tire was leaking from the side wall. Shook the tire and couldn't hear any stans. We took a hand pump, opened it up and filled it with water. Pumped the water into the tire to try resurrecting any dead stans by shaking it around. it worked and we saw the stans beginning to seal the leak...  :)

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
It's not about saving weight. Tubeless allows you run lower pressure without fear of snakebite flats.
Lower pressure means your tire conforms to that obstacle rather than bounce (deflect) off of it ;)

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
I believe Stan's is worth it based on your rims compatibility to go tubeless.  My Flows took under 20 min. to seal from start to finish and have been excellent.  My Mavic C-29's have been a P.I.T.A. with most tires I've tried.  They are a more narrow rim, but I don't think that is the issue.  I have since gone back to tubes in those rims.  I have run 18-22 psi in my Flows by accident and didn't have a problem, other than not liking the way they felt.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:15 PM »
invest in some UST wheels and tires.

Offline CarbonCavy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Rig: 08 Titus Racer X Carbon
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 09:22:06 PM »
invest in some UST wheels and tires.

Word!! If able to go UST wheels and tires, you'll never go back. Of course that's easier said than done from a financial standpoint, but well worth it if you can. I've been running UST Wheels and Tires for over 1 year now and have never had an issue...Knock on wood!
"Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul" - Gen. Douglass MacArthur

Offline syadasti

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »
If able to go UST wheels and tires, you'll never go back.

I've had both over the years and both have their plus and minuses and I've gone back and forth.  A big minus for UST tires is that for the most part other than dual ply DH/FR tires there are almost no soft or dual compound tires.

Kenda and other brands are starting to do it in UST but they weigh a TON compared to the tubed versions.  Specialized has some tubeless dual compound dual ply that are reasonable weight though.  Softer durometer tires make a huge difference and that's one big reason against UST. 

The rim strip setup is also better if you are really hard on rims or are doing things like DH/FR - they'll keep air even when you damage your rims but pure UST setup won't.  That probably does not apply to you or most of Florida riding (a super rocky area like in the Northeast its important).

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32:15 PM »
I set my Bontrager Select rims up with the Stan's strips and mounted some regular tires. I was going to try it with just Gorilla tape and Stan's sealant but Slowfatguy gave me some strips (much appreciated). I still used the Gorilla tape to seal the rim. The strips take up a lot of space in the tire. My theory is that once the bead is in place the rim strip probably helps keep it locked in.

Set mine up with an air compressor in about two hours being extremely methodical. Doing it again with different rims I could probably get it down to an hour. Longest part was taping the rims. I'd estimate changing tires would probably take half an hour. I blasted mine on to the rims without sealant first to get the beads locked in place then I added sealant and blasted them again, installed the valve cores then aired them them to the max pressure of the tire. Spun them around while shaking them for a few minutes. Took a tire lever and purposefully manipulated the tire right at the bead making it burp all the way around. After going around like that a few times nothing I've done to these things seems to make them burp any more or lose pressure. They seem to lose 2-3 psi a week regardless of how much I ride, about the same as I had with tubes.

I don't run mine super low pressure but with the medium pressures I'm running there's a lot of sidewall bulge with me perched on the bike so I don't want to go lower and when I tried lower pressures experimentally the tires felt squirmy in the corners like they were grabbing and slipping very quickly constantly. Was not a confidence inspiring feeling so I run 30 front and 35 rear. Much grippier than they would be with tubes at those pressures. Feels like less rolling resistance too, at least on the dirt. Only downside is that they feel really weird on pavement, kinda like you're riding a flat going straight and they get weird in corners. After going tubeless I really don't like riding the bike on pavement. Different tires would probably feel different.

I know I was worried that the tires I had wouldn't be strong enough since they have a very flexible sidewall. So far hasn't been a problem though and I've dragged them over rocks on a bunch of bad lines.