Author Topic: Love my new bike.  (Read 673 times)

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • It's always a race!!
  • My Bike: Epic expert
Love my new bike.
« on: March 16, 2010, 07:31:33 PM »
Picked up my new epic last friday and it has me loving to ride like never before.Been riding my stumpjumper hardtail for a few years and had forgotten how enjoyable full suspension really is.Ive owned two other epics but this one is amazing.Gonna hit alafia on saturday with a beginer friend but will leave him at the car a few times to hit the "real" trails.
I live on Tierra verde and work on 118 and 49th street,and the epic has cut my ride time by 10 minutes.Although today I had a guy litteraly try to run me over at 19 and 54th ave.....But I still love my new ride.
Cant wait to do ridgeline on a full suspension.......... ;D

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: Love my new bike.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:54:31 PM »
Picked up my new epic last friday and it has me loving to ride like never before.Been riding my stumpjumper hardtail for a few years and had forgotten how enjoyable full suspension really is.Ive owned two other epics but this one is amazing.Gonna hit alafia on saturday with a beginer friend but will leave him at the car a few times to hit the "real" trails.
I live on Tierra verde and work on 118 and 49th street,and the epic has cut my ride time by 10 minutes.Although today I had a guy litteraly try to run me over at 19 and 54th ave.....But I still love my new ride.

Welcome to the club http://www.facebook.com/EpicEra ! how bout a Picture?

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »

That's a pretty good commute. Personally I'd invest in a road bike for that. I think I'd go mad riding a double boinger that far on pavement on matter how good the suspension is. For pavement I want skinny tires and drop bars. So much faster and for some reason drivers seem to respect road bikes more too.

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:12:19 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.Here it is 4:oo am,1 hour before I hop on the bike for my morning commute.A bit chilly this morning but not as bad as it has been.
Funny how I always get the same "You should get a road bike" responce.That was all I rode at one time but I just couldnt ride by all those stairs and hills without catching some air.Plus I feel 100% more confident when Im offroad having put 200 plus miles on my bike "on road' the week before.
Have a great day everyone.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:28 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome.Here it is 4:oo am,1 hour before I hop on the bike for my morning commute.A bit chilly this morning but not as bad as it has been.
Funny how I always get the same "You should get a road bike" responce.That was all I rode at one time but I just couldnt ride by all those stairs and hills without catching some air.Plus I feel 100% more confident when Im offroad having put 200 plus miles on my bike "on road' the week before.

I think your fine with just  a mountain bike.. :) Welcome aboard!
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »

Dont listen to that "you should get a road bike" nonsense, I live right on the Pinellas Trail and love to ride my MTB on it all the time.. I guess that most FS bikes would be cushy but some people dont understand the way an Epic is set up, the best of both worlds.. rides like a Hart Tail until the FS is needed.

Anyhow, in my case, it was much cheaper to buy a bad ass set of Off-Road wheels and a set of 1.5 tires rather than listening to the people that say.."you should get a road bike"

Enjoy your new ride!

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »
Be an OFF ROADIE.

Do Roadie like miles OFF ROAD

HAMMER!

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:21 PM »
I don't really care what you ride. I'm perfectly happy to see you ride your Epic. I only know what I prefer. For pavement in reasonably flat areas I ride my fixed gear road bike (with 23mm tires). For hilly areas like if I do a road ride up north of here I use my geared cyclocross bike with road tires (usually 28mm). It's a personal preference thing. For me it's more about the riding position than the tires even. I want drop bars for pavement rides. I don't like flat bars or risers on pavement. I see no reason why a slick or semi-slick tire on a mountain bike wouldn't be just fine for street use if you're not trying to fly. I don't like knobs though because they squirm in corners on pavement. I'm not trying to say that you should ride a road bike. Ride what you want. I'll ride what I want and we'll both be happy.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »
I don't really care what you ride. I'm perfectly happy to see you ride your Epic. I only know what I prefer. For pavement in reasonably flat areas I ride my fixed gear road bike (with 23mm tires). For hilly areas like if I do a road ride up north of here I use my geared cyclocross bike with road tires (usually 28mm). It's a personal preference thing. For me it's more about the riding position than the tires even. I want drop bars for pavement rides. I don't like flat bars or risers on pavement. I see no reason why a slick or semi-slick tire on a mountain bike wouldn't be just fine for street use if you're not trying to fly. I don't like knobs though because they squirm in corners on pavement. I'm not trying to say that you should ride a road bike. Ride what you want. I'll ride what I want and we'll both be happy.

bah, skinny tires suck...

LOL,

Just kidding...

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 06:49:30 PM »
I' always happy ;) .. WAHHHhhhhhhhh! :'(

Offline MM

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Boyette rocks
    • You Tube
  • My Bike: 2009 Trek 8000 XTR drivetrain, XT cranks, Reba SL, Juicy five's
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:41 PM »
be carefull riding as it seems every day I hear someone in pinellas park getting killed on a bike

Offline Sirbikesalot

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • It's always a race!!
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
be carefull riding as it seems every day I hear someone in pinellas park getting killed on a bike
Also another reason for a mountain bike...SIDEWALKS...Thats 99% of my ride.Thanks for the concern.