Author Topic: Magic Shine  (Read 1491 times)

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
Re: Magic Shine
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
Do you guys generally find something around 400-600 lumens is adequate for some of the solo night riding you guys do  in FL (i.e. the CFITT, Eye, etc)?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 04:15:54 PM by Alan »

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 04:16:33 PM »
200 is more like it. The pace of these rides is a lot different than, say, the 12-hours of santos. I ran my first night lap at the 12-hour with what i would call my bikepack set up and was very quickly reminded of the difference.... it had been 5 years since i had raced and "forgot" about the difference... i had an HID then. I had to break out my old 20W halogen to fill the gap.

200 has served me well. I actually rode with much less than 200 on saturday.

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
Good to know.  Seems that 900 racer package would probably be more than enough for an overnight adventure.  That price is much easier to swallow than a few other lights I've been looking at lately.

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
those with the lights, what is the battery voltage output? what about the rated mAh?

gots me an idea.....

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »
The Magicshines use 4 18650 3.7V Lithium Ions in a 2x2 configuration.

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »
The Magicshines use 4 18650 3.7V Lithium Ions in a 2x2 configuration.
is that set up with the batteries in series (14.8 V), parallel (3.7 V), or series-parallel (7.2 V)? i suspect the light's circuit is current limited so the mah is of no matter - just need to know the voltage.

thanks for the help Clinton.

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:14 PM »
series-parallel

It is a regulated circuit.

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:05:50 PM »

If anyone is interested, you could purchase the Magic Shine light as the light head only for $45 and create your own battery pack by using one of these:

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=1206&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Product+Search&utm_campaign=Product+Search+(Apr10)

Just add the connector you desire to mate the battery to the light and your own rechargeable AA batteries. You will then have a light with the only limit being how many batteries you carry or purchase on the way. I also don't have any idea of burn time... but if I guessed, it would be 1.5 hours on high depending on the cell. Lithium cells would last much longer.

Be aware - there is no bar mount, helmet mount, or anything else -- it is just a light head and you have to provide for the rest.

It takes the same helmet mount as Lupine and Dinotte... which I have one... so for me it's really easy to mount to my helmet....

Just another option.

I like the idea because of the long distances I ride without support. for those of you that just do laps at a local trail and don't spend more than an hour or two in the dark, I would think the $89 kit with battery and charger is more convenient.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:09:04 PM by rob_squared »

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
CORRECTION

if you run rechargeble AA, get a 6-cell AA holder. rechargeable MiMh run around 1.2 V... you need 6 cells for full brightness and could get away with a 7th. The Voltage limiter in that light is set to 8.4 V i think.

if you run "throw away" Lithium batteries, the 5 cell will work. They run at 1.5 V.

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 01:47:46 AM »
To get the connector you could get an extension cord and cut that up. I would use the six-cell holder regardless of which type of battery you use. That's only 9V with 1.5V cells. The 3.7V 18650 cells measure about 4.5-5V fresh off the charger though they quickly sink down to the 3.5-4.0 range. I have a bunch of the individual cells for hand flashlights.

My Magicshine battery pack is currently reading 8.2V. I used it for about 30 min on high tonight. Output voltage of the charger is 8.44

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »
Can someone put into like simple 2nd grade language what this means for me?

I like to ride.

All night long.

Not just 3 hours.

So, Rob are you telling me, that I can make it so this thing runs on AA's?

Online rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
To get the connector you could get an extension cord and cut that up. I would use the six-cell holder regardless of which type of battery you use. That's only 9V with 1.5V cells. The 3.7V 18650 cells measure about 4.5-5V fresh off the charger though they quickly sink down to the 3.5-4.0 range. I have a bunch of the individual cells for hand flashlights.

My Magicshine battery pack is currently reading 8.2V. I used it for about 30 min on high tonight. Output voltage of the charger is 8.44

6 cell would be great if the circuit in the light doesn't have overvoltage protection... i thought i read it will protect the light at anything over 8.4V.

when it is fully charged what is the battery output? i'm not a battery expert and my DC circcuits theory is rusty...

Karlos - in elementary terms, for about $60 total you can have a the Magic Shine running on AA (or C's, D's, Sub-C's....)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:49:21 AM by rob_squared »

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2010, 11:36:36 AM »
Voltage protection circuits are most likely built into the cells not the light head. Battery pack fresh off the charger is 8.43V. When the pack reaches it's low limit it cuts out completely at the pack. You can measure at the connector and see only a few millivolts. That tells me the voltage protection is in the pack or the individual cells (most likely).
The Lithium Ion pack that comes with it should be rated at 7.4V but actually seems to function 8.3V or so and should have about 5000 mAH of power.

You can make it run off AAs no problem. It just won't run as long. A pack made out of 6 rechargable AA batteries will be 7.2V and optimistically 2500 mAH. Nonrechargables might run longer but there's a possibility (though I doubt it) that you'd have to replace one of the six with a dummy cell. Depending on how good the voltage regulator circuit in the light head is you may see some fading with nonrechargeables or the current draw may increase in a greater than linear fashion as the voltage drops.

It should be noted that the undervolt protection circuit in the battery pack kicks in before I notice any fading with my light. A pack made of AAs wouldn't have that circuit (and wouldn't need it) so some fading may occur. Also the indicator light on the back of the light would probably turn red long before a AA pack of was actually dead if you used 5 nonrechargable cells. 6 rechargables would probably be more consistent.

So - yes you can run it off AAs but the run time will probably be 1-1.5 hours instead of 3+.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:44:26 AM by ClintonRH »

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »
But that would be on HIGH right?? Cause 900 Lumens, I dont need that I have done the entire EPIC santos with 50 lumens... What would be the estimated run time on Low with that set up?

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 11:52:12 AM »
Low (about .5A draw) draws about a third of the current of high (1.4-1.6A draw). So probably 3 hrs or so. Maybe longer because alkaline AAs can reach deeper into the red at the bottom end with the lower draw.

The low setting is still pretty damn bright.

It's also not 900 lumen. 600 lumen is probably more accurate on high. Low is probably about even with a 200 lumen lamp.

The stock battery pack will go ALL night on low.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:57:02 AM by ClintonRH »