Author Topic: Rim tape, liners, or what?  (Read 427 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Rim tape, liners, or what?
« on: May 07, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
I have a cross bike that I use for commuting and I just started getting flats because the rim tape/liner slid off to the side and exposed one of the spoke holes. I need to replace it, but I don't know what I'm doing. Do I need rim tape, a rim liner, or what?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
Re: Rim tape, liners, or what?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 09:16:56 AM »
liners are fast and easy but can move around. hence your issue. you can get fiberglass reinforced packing tape in a width to fit the rim - ala stans tape. or you can get $5 Velox rim tape from any bike shop and ask the shop guy to help make sure you get the right size for your rim.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:18:23 AM »
just clean your rim with alcohal before applying new tape. this will give a clean surface to stick to and keep the new tape from "wandering" around in there.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:24:20 AM »
I was at the store the other day and they didn't have the exact size I needed. How close to the edge of the rim should the tape come? Should it go all the way up to the wall, or should there be some extra room in there?

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 09:27:03 AM »
I was at the store the other day and they didn't have the exact size I needed. How close to the edge of the rim should the tape come? Should it go all the way up to the wall, or should there be some extra room in there?

I am captain improvisation.

Electrical tape works.
Also first aid tape works just as good.
Duct tape may as well.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 09:30:52 AM »
Does it need to be edge to edge?

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 09:35:36 AM »
it only needs to cover the spoke holes. you dont' want it to cover your tire/rim bead interface... though if it did, i don't think it would be too problematic.

SS is right on other tapes... they will fail sooner than rim tape but will work. it takes 3 layers of electiral tape to be durable though. "Coaches" tape from the first aid section of the drug store is pretty durable too... not as much as rim tape, but durable.

the fiberglass tape, or better yet, Gorilla brand urethane based reinforced tape will be uber strong. and uber hawt! cut to size or find the correct width.....

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks Rob and SS! I think I'll pick up some of that gorilla tape this weekend.

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
if you are not doing any crazy downhills it wont matter - if you are doing something with LONG descents like 6 gap or something like that, go with a good cloth rim strip.  Braking for longer periods of time can cause tape to heat up and actually blow your tire.  The last thing you want is a blow out on a descent that is steep enough that you are having to brake that much.  If you are riding in FL or have nuts the size of watermelons and can go plus 60 down a mountain...use whatever

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
if you are not doing any crazy downhills it wont matter - if you are doing something with LONG descents like 6 gap or something like that, go with a good cloth rim strip.  Braking for longer periods of time can cause tape to heat up and actually blow your tire.  The last thing you want is a blow out on a descent that is steep enough that you are having to brake that much.  If you are riding in FL or have nuts the size of watermelons and can go plus 60 down a mountain...use whatever

Yeah, its used for commuting and light touring. Nothing hard core. I'll probably go with the gorilla tape.