Author Topic: Creaking Crossmax  (Read 326 times)

Online Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
Creaking Crossmax
« on: May 07, 2010, 04:35:03 PM »
As the riders heard from my last Boyette outing, my Crossmax rims seem to be doing some creaking noise nonsense. Just the front rim. Seems that when I am side loading the rim, like on a slow steep climb its creaking. Is there a specific spoke tension or should i just go around and tension any loose ones? Or... just have a wheel man true and tighten and forget about it?
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Creaking Crossmax
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »
As the riders heard from my last Boyette outing, my Crossmax rims seem to be doing some creaking noise nonsense. Just the front rim. Seems that when I am side loading the rim, like on a slow steep climb its creaking. Is there a specific spoke tension or should i just go around and tension any loose ones? Or... just have a wheel man true and tighten and forget about it?

you can mess it up good - go to a wheel man

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
If the wheel is true, leave it alone. That is normal for Crossmax rims and their straight pull zicral(aluminum) spokes. My 26ers do the same thing.

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
Dollars to donuts it is the spokes rubbing against each other.  Mine did the same thing.  Also check to make sure your skewer (QR) is tight.  I lubed the spokes where they intersect and the problem went away.  Good luck.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!