Author Topic: Course tape and flags  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Course tape and flags
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »

FYI: I spoke to some guys @ my FD about this and they said that it's a Private Company that holds these games(not firefighters).

Correct.  I got a response today saying that the coordinator was notified and they will get back to me.  I'm not holding my breath.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 08:04:52 PM »
That is unfortunate. Looks like other avenues will have to be explored to prevent this in the future.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:07 PM »
That is unfortunate. Looks like other avenues will have to be explored to prevent this in the future.

yep, i didnt notice the tape and flags when we rode there last saturday but watching the new alafia videos i can see them.. It puts us FF in a bad light even though we had nothing to do with it.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »
That sucks, I hate seeing trash on the trails. Only time I don't stop to pick it up is when I have a good flow going. So in other words, I pick up a lot of trash.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2010, 05:44:06 PM »
So I rode Alafia again this morning. Much to my disappointment the crap was still all over the trails. So I stopped at the ranger station on my way out. Talked to the ranger on duty, and she told me that the park is very unhappy about the way this event went down, people were rude, trying to enter the park early, blocked access to the trailhead so the rangers couldn't get back there, trash not just on the trails but all over the trailhead area, well the list goes on. She also told me that there have been numerous people stopping to complain about the fact that these guys didn't clean up after themselves, and told me that they most likely wouldn't be back for another event.

I'm going to get out there in a few weeks and do some trimming when I get back from N.C., if it is still out there then I'll get it all picked up. It is a shame that it has to be like this, that people cannot take care of their own. :(
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
Sent an e-mail request to their mountain bike coordinator.  We'll see if it helps.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 06:52:13 PM »
Sent an e-mail request to their mountain bike coordinator.  We'll see if it helps.

Yeah, I did that a few weeks ago. He sounds nice and co-operative, and nothing got done. Sucks. Maybe coming from the el presidente will carry some clout.

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 11:10:53 PM »
I hate to say this but i hope that those A-Holes are not allowed to hold another even there.

I suggest for you to post their email here and have all of us that are part of the forum and all the LURKERS flood their inbox.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 11:36:32 PM »
I hate to say this but i hope that those A-Holes are not allowed to hold another even there.

I suggest for you to post their email here and have all of us that are part of the forum and all the LURKERS flood their inbox.

I agree, you don't want it to be that way, but....

At first it seemed to be an honest mistake, no biggie. A month later and no action taken, coupled with the stories from the park rangers, they sound like a bunch of clowns. It is a shame.

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
Got this e-mail this morning from th guy who was the coordinator.  We'll see what Friday brings.

garry,   i've had two guys from lakeland ride the course we had set up and they  said they couldn't find any orange sprinkler flags in the end of bridges  and rollercoaster. I've been stuck in tallahassee because of political/budget  issues, but will have guys from ridge riders check it again. I apologize  for the issue, we had the course split in to two groups to police it. at  the latest i'll head there friday also.todd

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 04:54:13 PM »
A couple of orange flags is one thing, but what about all the yellow caution tape that is all over Rollercoaster? You have to be blind not to see that stuff.

PEB, did you ride this event? Can you tell us for sure that they ran Rollercoaster and used the yellow tape to mark the course? I can't imagine someone went out there and just started tying yellow tape to trees out there.

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 07:13:35 PM »
A couple of orange flags is one thing, but what about all the yellow caution tape that is all over Rollercoaster? You have to be blind not to see that stuff.

PEB, did you ride this event? Can you tell us for sure that they ran Rollercoaster and used the yellow tape to mark the course? I can't imagine someone went out there and just started tying yellow tape to trees out there.

no i did not take part. i was out of town. but i know a few lakeland guys who did. i'll ask what the route was.

Offline kj

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Vassago
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
I yanked all that yellow caution tape from rollercoaster yesterday morning. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »

Thanks KJ. What time were you out there?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 07:20:25 AM »

Should have kept all of the crap you picked up and mailed it to their event coordinator. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.