Author Topic: 29'er wheels  (Read 646 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
29'er wheels
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
What are you 9'er guys using? Most interested in the actual rim. Looking for something that will be plenty strong for a 225lb guy that likes to ride pretty aggressive. No big drops or jumps, but 1-2ft to flat isn't out of the question. Reading around I see alot of people seem to like the Stan's rims, but I don't like them. I've seen several of them fold up for no apparent reason on 6'ers. Basically looking for something similar to a Mavic 819, but for a 9'er.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online billnye

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
  • My Bike: 24x3 KH uni w/ 2spd Schlumpf hub
Re: 29'er wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:59:22 PM »
You want strong niner rims, eh? How about http://www.krisholm.com/khu/rims ;D

If the 47mm is too wide, you can use the 38mm instead... since the wider ones are drilled, either one would weigh in at a svelte 795g each.

billnye
John M

P.S. ("but seriously folks...", the only people I've ACTUALLY heard using those for bikes are the guys who ride crazy distance bikepack rides across remote areas where equipment failure is Not An Option. They're a beautiful part of the "welcome to bombproof equipment for the unicycle at mass-production prices" revolution I've been fortunate to witness over the past decade though, and it truly is a beautiful thing.)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:12:15 PM »
LOL, John. I don't need anything quite like that I'm thinking.

Also another question, what tires are you guys/gals running?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:43:54 PM »
im running the crossmax 29er - seems to hold up well so far. I do some jumping - no real gnar but the 1-2 foot as you described. I havent had any issues yet. I weigh about 200 with all gear so a little lighter. Using Maxxis Ignitors 2.1 set up tubeless as well and running about 26 psi.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
I'm going to build my own on a set of King hubs. The selection of just 29'er rims is pretty slim.

Offline Luis

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:52:30 PM »
Stans Flow, for sure. 

edit: when did you get a 29er? which one?  Tires: I know you like chunk, I would go with either a Rampage or Ardent on the front. 

Offline JamesinIT

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disk 29er
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 10:16:44 PM »
Jason,

here is the link to Prowhelbuilder.com 29'er rim selection  http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/custommtb29er650b.php?cat=mtb29er650b&step=start

the Edge Composities are right up your ally.
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 10:17:03 PM »
Stans Flow, for sure. 

edit: when did you get a 29er? which one?  Tires: I know you like chunk, I would go with either a Rampage or Ardent on the front.

The flows look like they may work. They are pretty strong then?

29'er is on the way, gonna replace my SS. Tendonitis in the knees makes it hurt to ride the SS, so it just sits. Ordered and Ells Evolve in rainforest green. Gonna rob some parts and sell some others off the SS to get this going. Will be the other bike along with my Epi.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »
Thanks Darrin, I've seen that before. Just looking for some real world experience for what works around our area.

Offline Luis

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Waltworks 29
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »
The flows look like they may work. They are pretty strong then?

29'er is on the way, gonna replace my SS. Tendonitis in the knees makes it hurt to ride the SS, so it just sits. Ordered and Ells Evolve in rainforest green. Gonna rob some parts and sell some others off the SS to get this going. Will be the other bike along with my Epi.

Sweet! Know plenty of big fellas that shred up north with Flows...  you shouldn't have any problems. 

Offline Coach

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach
Something wicked this way comes!

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 07:47:30 AM »
SFG,
I am also using the Mavic Crossmaxx 29er rims.  I have had them since I was bouncing between 205 and 210 lbs.  I only "try" to jump 2" logs so no 1/2 footers for me.  However, I been told it wouldn't be a problem for those rims.  I had them for over two years now and I have true them only two times.  Both times weren't even needed.  Strong enough.  The main  thing I like about them is that the pair is 1700 grams.  Compare to my laserdisc WTA that came stock on my bike at over 2500 grams, the crossmax are super light.  The only thing I don't like about them is the two prong engagement.  I wish I had save the money and build a Stans type of rim with CK hubs for a few hundred more.  The Stan/CK combo would have been slighly heavier but I would have gotten color bling.  Crossmaxx are a true UST rim so you can try stans again if you want.  Or not.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:24 AM »
I already have the rear King hub. I don't get along with standard hubs, I broke 6 Mavic hubs in 3 months back in the day. The Kings have been bombproof for me, so I'm gonna stick with what I know. Light wheels are nice, but not if I have to worry about them breaking, or I can't ride my normal aggressive way that I like to ride. I do like the Mavic rims, my 819's have been super strong. But the only rim I can find from Mavic doesn't seem to fit the bill, so it looks like the Flows are gonna be the way to go. I appreciate all the responses though.