Author Topic: First ride, 29'er  (Read 383 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
First ride, 29'er
« on: July 04, 2010, 06:35:19 PM »
Well, it was wet and slippery. Then it started raining. :(  The bike rolls, once it is going it doesn't want to stop. Still playing with tire pressure, probably take awhile to dial that in. Ended up running 28f/29r. Rear felt close, front could drop some more though. Also running tubes right now, will convert to tubless at a later date. Other than that it was hard to get a good feel for the bike due to conditions, but I think this bike is gonna be fast. Handles quick, rolls well, small bump stuff feels stiffer but bigger hits feel alot like my Epi. Gonna take a bit of suspension tuning to get her dialed in, its not far off but it isn't perfect either. Not sure on my front tire selection either, Kenda Karma 2.2, but I'll wait for some better weather to judge that decision.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
    • <b>SandPine's Ride Reports</b>
Re: First ride, 29'er
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:20:22 PM »
Did you buy the red nose yet?   ;D    Glad to hear you don't totally hate it.  Yet...  So, which bike did you get?  What trail/s did you try?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 08:35:15 PM »
Did you buy the red nose yet?   ;D    Glad to hear you don't totally hate it.  Yet...  So, which bike did you get?  What trail/s did you try?

I doubt I'll hate it. I think on the right trails it will be a phenominal bike. Got an Ells Evolve, rode North Creek, Bridges, the Rockgarden pit, and Rollercoaster. It was wet and slick though like I said.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 12:27:55 PM »
dont be afraid of the big wheels. They work great on all trails that Ive ridden so far. Most newer 29ers have good geometry and can handle all the tight twisty just fine. Go Tubeless soon and you can ride a lower pressure still - I roll with about 24-26 and it works great. 2.1 Ignitors so far and I like them.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 01:46:43 PM »
Have you squeezed any rides in now that the weather is a bit better?  29ers do take a bit of adjusting when you first ride them. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
Got a decent ride in at Santos on Sunday, before the rain started. Wasn't much of an adjustment, at least up there. Feels like a pretty fast bike, no issues going through the twisty stuff on Bunny. Some of the really tight stuff like on Rattlesnake or John Brown felt a little different, but no biggie. Overall I really liked it, but I think if I could only have one bike it would be my Epiphany. The 9'er just doesn't leave the ground the same, it's more of a XC bike where the Epi is more all-mountain. But I think the Evolve might be a faster bike doing XC type stuff.