Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 12:53:54 PM] Alan: why, fp...so you can say "I'm with the dj" at the trailhead?

[Today at 12:53:37 PM] BillT: sorry, fp

[Today at 12:53:25 PM] Alan: strapz http://www.backcountryresearch.com/

[Today at 12:53:21 PM] fannypak: Damn bill, that link has me thinking. It's gonna add to the internal debate of whether or not to get a dj

[Today at 12:53:15 PM] Alan: beer is pro, bro

[Today at 12:51:56 PM] fannypak: Thanks for the link peb, ill keep an eye on it.

[Today at 12:51:11 PM] Scott: alchohol is not pro

[Today at 12:50:40 PM] ProEdgeBiker: Only Aa can do that 

[Today at 12:50:07 PM] Scott: quit work, go pro

[Today at 12:49:15 PM] Alan: that job sounds awesome, Luis

[Today at 12:49:06 PM] ProEdgeBiker: Don't overlook analyst jobs in Nielsen either because it will get your foot in door to

[Today at 12:48:40 PM] fannypak: Lu

Author Topic: Alafia trail work day - Saturday September 15th  (Read 553 times)

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Alafia trail work day - Saturday September 15th
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
 Hello SWAMPERs,
Our Alafia trails have only TWO Saturday work days left to get in shape before the FTF on Nov 9-11, 2012.

Proper rock wall structures withstand erosion. If you want to participate and learn the sustainable techniques, I’m glad to repeat the “retaining wall construction and drainage” demonstration on Saturday. This construction will be on NorthCreek, which includes a banked turn. You may also start work immediately on many other tasks.

Since mid-July, we have returned NorthCreek, Bridges and RollerCoaster’s main loop to the fast/flowing, intermediate riding ability – many thanks for all your help. Dedicated volunteers have power trimmed SandPine, Bridges, RollerCoaster’s main loop, as well MoonScape is halfway done. Now the maintenance begins on all advanced trails and options. We must also bring RiverLoop and RockGarden back to rideable condition.

Alafia trails desperately need your dedicated volunteer services.

Please RSVP to volunteer on the 15th and you get lunch. Work parties and demonstration starts @8:30. Lunch @12:30. Afternoon shift @1:15. The Alafia State Park gate opens @8:00 and offers free admission on the day you volunteer. Please RSVP before Friday noon to be on the official name list.

Jeff White (jeff@swampclub.org)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV XTR/XT RLC-FIT
Re: Alafia trail work day - Saturday September 15th
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Some may say its sanitized but I like how all the big roots on NCreek have been smoothed out. Especially that decent between the two trees ( not the one near the water). I know to some of the smaller and younger rider it was no hinderence but to me now its one of the fastest parts on NC and im able to carry speed much farther on.
Also that short drop on roller coaster right after the turnaround was always sketchy on my steep geo HT has been built up on the downside. Also the three woops on RC where my fork always bottomed out is less jaring. It all FLOWS!

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 12:42:20 AM »
A really big THANKS to all 14 volunteers who contributed 72 hours of muscle, sweat and time today at Alafia.

- RockGarden received 22 pavers laid properly into a 40' long mud hole, keeping your wheels high-and-dry.
- one team did a root removal dance down the whole 3.5 miles of RockGarden.
- NorthCreek's root tree, right turn now has a excellent banked retaining wall with proper drainage control and four volunteers enhanced their knowledge on the fine art of building sustainable trails.
- Bridges south trail segment received a power trimming.

Special thanks to my wonderful partner Alicia for a very fine lunch   :-*

Our volunteers today:
Aaron Gramley, Alicia Diem, Bruce Kaczmarek, Don Wright, Frank Truluck, Jeff White, Jerry Hauck, Marsha Hauck, Rich Gramley, Robert Chrostowski, Ron Zajac, Steve Lasorsa, Terry Rabon, Wes Eubank

Together we build superior, sustainable trail systems.
Thank you, Jeff White

Offline Tampabaynsxr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Stumpy FSR Carbon Expert 29er
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 08:14:56 AM »
Kudos to all the trail angels we saw on Saturday. Your efforts were greatly appreciated by the Bayside Community Church MTB group from Bradenton!  North Creek flows beautifully these days and the root removal on Rock Garden was a great improvement!