Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:51:23 PM] mksandoz: of

[Today at 04:51:15 PM] mksandoz: iPhone, the shandy or smartphones

[Today at 04:47:16 PM] ProEdgeBiker: 2 yrs with the 32gb and and 15gb of iCloud has worked for me

[Today at 04:44:50 PM] ProEdgeBiker: I'm going from a 4s 3G to that. I'll be happy

[Today at 04:42:22 PM] BillT: finally a phone that I don't really have any issues with

[Today at 04:42:07 PM] BillT: at it also has sufficient memory and storage and has been very stable

[Today at 04:41:52 PM] BillT: i could really care less about processor speed as long as it is 'fast enough'...my current galaxy meets that criteria

[Today at 04:41:17 PM] BillT: I was put off by the size of the galaxy at first but mostly because it was too thin, after I put a case on it, it feels right

[Today at 04:39:18 PM] ProEdgeBiker: FYI - http://gizmodo.com/iphone-a7-chip-benchmarks-forget-the-specs-it-blows-e-1350717023

[Today at 04:39:13 PM] ProEdgeBiker: Bill, i could have gone anyway i wanted, there are even better deals out there for the S4, but im not fond of the size.

[Today at 04:32:01 PM] Rhyno: Droid maxx!!!! Droid does!!!!

[Today at 04:31:27 PM] BillT: samsung galaxy s4 > crapple

Author Topic: egg beater pedals  (Read 1066 times)

Offline rockhopper11

• Forum Newbie
  • Favorite Trail: ridgeline at boyette
  • My Bike: specialized rock hopper pro 29
egg beater pedals
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
How does everyone feel about the egg beater pedal. I like to ride  Florida's single tracks but have  flat pedals now. I want to get clipless pedals, but I want to keep weight in mind.

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Scott Scale 949 29er, WaltWorks 29er,Anthem X 29er, Cannondale EVO
Re: egg beater pedals
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 01:01:20 PM »
I tried them and really wanted to like them due to their wide open construction, but could not get into and out of them consistantly. Others swear by them, kind of a personal preference thing. I would not stress on weight, find a pedal system that works for you and roll :)

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky rigid-single
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
I ride, love, and recommend them.  In and out effortlessly, never an unintentional pop-out.  I ride a single speed and therefore press on them extremely hard and never had a single issue whatsoever. 

Offline bugman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 03:21:35 PM »
Don't like them at all.
 I tryed a set and I had trouble getting clipped in. More times than not my foot rolled off when trying to clip in. Also every time I had a pedal strike they would unclip. Gave them a try for a few month then trashed them and went back to Time pedals.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline Redriderpro

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Ellsworth Moment
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 03:31:57 PM »
get Times!! Indestructable and idiot proof. They work all the time, mud water, whatever.

I have two pair that are over 8 years old, still going strong.

Egg Beaters? Many have broken those... but I hear their warranty is good!
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline bugman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »
get Times!! Indestructable and idiot proof. They work all the time, mud water, whatever.

Yep. So true.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
I use Eggbeaters, but they aren't very durable. If you don't mind that possibility of having to replace them periodically they are light, easy to get in/out of, and shed mud well. They make a rebuild kit for the bearings, but once the spring loses tension it's best to get another set.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
They require maintenance of lubing.  And for $40 if you send them back when worn they rebuild them.  I love mine.  SPD style always seemed to get wood, clay, or mud stuck in them.  Although I do like my 535 SPD that I use on my other mountain bike.

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
I'm a fan of mine, egg beaters on xcaliber for races and mallets for everyday riding around.  Even use eggbeaters on my road bike with no complaints. Wife uses candys on her road bike.  No issues yet knock on wood.

Offline ProEdgeBiker

• PROUD TO SUPPORT OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr to SWAMP for a FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & 700cc SCOTT FOIL
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »
How does everyone feel about the egg beater pedal. I like to ride  Florida's single tracks but have  flat pedals now. I want to get clipless pedals, but I want to keep weight in mind.

I personally dont care for eggbeaters but have Been using CB Candy SL's for years and have never had a problem. When the redesigned Candy's came out I went with the 3's. I like the pedals so much I also bought a pair for my road bike. Good Luck!

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »
I have heard some folks complain of "hot spots" with egg beaters.  Really just comes down to personal preference.  You really won't know if they work for you until you get some time on them.  If you are a clipless newb you may want to consider something with a platform like the Candy pedals PEB mentioned (same eggbeater design but with a platform around it)...little bit easier to clip in compared to egg beaters imo. 

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: .....is Sooooooooo Dirty !!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
I still love my grippy flats and 5.10 shoes on my mtb and road bike.

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Trace X frame with a bunch of weight weenie parts bolted to it.
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 11:37:49 PM »
I bought the Ti Egg Beaters, but tried them only once and probably will sell them as right now I'm at the top end of the 185lbs. limit. But that's not why I don't like them, even though they are great in mud as it does not cake and lock you in, IMHO, there is just way too much float.

I just can't part with my XTRs.

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Scott Scale 949 29er, WaltWorks 29er,Anthem X 29er, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 09:29:19 AM »
I bought the Ti Egg Beaters, but tried them only once and probably will sell them as right now I'm at the top end of the 185lbs. limit. But that's not why I don't like them, even though they are great in mud as it does not cake and lock you in, IMHO, there is just way too much float.

I just can't part with my XTRs.
+1 on the xtr's