Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Question about night riding  (Read 477 times)

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
Question about night riding
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
Just got a new light so I left around 5pm to the park entrance on the south side of fletcher just off 75.  It gets dark at 5:30 now so I figured it'd be a few minutes of day then a nice night ride since I've heard of people doing it.  The signs said park closes at sunset, and that left vehicles will be towed.  So I went home.  How are you guys doing these night rides?  I don't want to get my truck towed over a bike ride. 

Offline bjdraw

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
Re: Question about night riding
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:29:49 PM »
Wilderness Park is only open to Swamp organized Night rides. Everyone has to checkin together and out. Even if you park elsewhere and ride in, you still aren't supposed to enter the park at night without special arrangements.

In fact the only Swamp maintained trail that is always open to night riding is Croom. The parking lot at Alafia also closes at dark, but you can ride at night if you camp -- I suppose no one checks to make sure you don't vacate your campsite before dawn if you want to pay $22 for a site. Balm has two organized Swamp night rides per month, check the Swamp schedule to be sure, but basically it is the 3rd Friday of the month and the Friday closest to the full moon.

http://www.swampclub.org/calendar.htm

I've done the Balm night ride a few times, and it is great. Just wish it was mid-week instead of on Friday.

Offline brawwp

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Gotcha.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »
Quote from:  link=topic=8864.msg75957#msg75957 date=1387596589
In fact the only Swamp maintained trail that is always open to night riding is Croom.

...and if you have never ridden Croom at night you are missing a treat.  I've only done it a couple of times, but it was most enjoyable and adventurous!

Advertisement: