Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Does anyone in the Tampa area offer one on one lessons?  (Read 677 times)

Offline James Henderson

• First Bike
Does anyone in the Tampa area offer one on one lessons?
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:21:29 AM »
I am a intermediate rider with some clear short comings. Will travel if I need to.

Thanks for any help

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Does anyone in the Tampa area offer one on one lessons?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 12:26:37 PM »
Have you looked into this
http://www.swampclub.org/training.htm

Offline James Henderson

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
I have, thanks. I have taken the first class and intend on taking the second. I would just like to take a one on one class so I can correct specific mistakes that I am making, things that couldn't be addressed in a group setting.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
RiBMO

Offline James Henderson

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline James Henderson

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »
do any of you know this guy? http://www.discovermountainbiking.com

does anybody have his contact info, his form on the site isn't working

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:16:20 PM »
I'm not sure if this helps, but there are quite a few local and semi-local cycling coaches around. Most of the coaching is geared towards fitness and racing.

I've heard that Bob McCarty does some skills building classes too. He is out of south Florida, but follows the FSC races and will often have classes in the days before a race at the various locations. It can't hurt to inquire I guess. http://www.mccartytraining.com/

Also, Drew Edsall is another racer/coach that offers fitness oriented coaching. I'm not sure if he provides any skill building, but he is a nice guy. He isn't local and spends part of they year out of state, but I vaguely recall him coming back to FL for the winters. http://www.coachdrewedsall.com/

Unfortunately, most of the coaching for cycling is centered around fitness, so it's hard to find a skills building coach. The landscape of FL makes it even less likely, because we don't have the same big technical features that others states do. In my opinion, the best solution is to get out and ride more. Try to find guys with similar fitness that might have better handling skills and watch how they approach obstacles. Most of the technical stuff in Florida can be conquered with a little confidence and more speed on the approach. Good luck.

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
If you go to the page Scott previously posted (www.swampclub.org/training.htm) you will see the swamp club has intermediate instructors available in the Tampa area.  Over the next three months - I'm teaching four intermediate classes held at Alafia.

I have been riding singletrack for 30 years all over the US and in southern Europe.  I learned “tips & tricks” from master riders and applied them all my riding career.  In my intermediate riding class - you’ll learn the “tips & tricks” to increase control, stability and enjoyment.  These tips jumpstart your riding proficiency for intermediate trails and beyond.  The techniques are the foundation for rapidly advancing your skill level.

Please contact me (jeff@swampclub.org) for scheduling a one-on-one lesson.  The class info is posted on Facebook/SWAMPclub
Jeff White

Advertisement: