SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:56:38 PM] Darrinw2001: now now Fe.. T-bow is not a blowhard like most... 

[Today at 02:58:33 PM] FACTORe: I know

[Today at 02:58:42 PM] FACTORe: he is great

[Today at 02:59:00 PM] FACTORe: I will be glad when he is gone so the Tigers don't hav to face him any more

[Today at 02:59:16 PM] FACTORe: Tebow or Urban Myer have never won at Tiger stadium - let's keep it that way

[Today at 03:01:52 PM] mksandoz: tebow sucks

[Today at 03:02:17 PM] mksandoz: if i could kill 1 person in this world

[Today at 03:02:21 PM] mksandoz: it would be jdk

[Today at 03:02:24 PM] mksandoz: THEN tebow

[Today at 03:03:12 PM] Coach: that would be TWO people.

[Today at 03:03:19 PM] mksandoz: 1 = 2

[Today at 03:03:33 PM] Coach: 2 is the new 1

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums updated to Version 2.0 RC1.2  on August 15, 2009

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Clip-less in Santos  (Read 1170 times)

jro

• First Bike
Clip-less in Santos
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:10:38 PM »
On Sunday I went riding at Santos for the first time. 

The beginning of this park was great I rode around on the yellow trails for a long time.  Then I found the VORTEX..  There was a crew filming and there were guys on the big pump tack flying around like they were on motocross bikes.  Then they were dropping into the pit from incredible heights.  It was amazing to watch.  Finally, I said to myself I came here to ride.  I saw a few riders taking off on a trail on the lower portion of the pit.  I  followed...As you may or may not know I went clip-less about 2 months ago.  The trail was all rock and very technical.  To fall equaled extreme pain.  You either fell off a rock ledge or fell on rocks.. I chose to walk my bike a lot.  The trail finally took me back to the beginning of the Vortex where there were all kinds of thin bridges, single tracks, and drops.   I watch the extreme riders some more and the other riders around the Vortex and guess what...None of them were Clip-less and now I know why.  I then rode back up to the parking lot vai all the red and blue trails..

At the parking lot they have a small practice area with all kinds of technical stuff.  With my feet on top of my clips I rode around and around...My biggest issue Pride: here there was a kid that was maybe 10 and he was kicking my butt as we went round and round the track. 

Next time I will have to bring some flats so I can play safely in the more technical areas.  I have to buy some first.

If you want tame and or extreme Santos is definitely the place.  Actually their tame is tamer than Alafia but their extreme is extreme.

Yes, on Twister I ate it big time..Down a big drop then over the top of the bars and into a 10" diameter stump located right in the middle of the trail.  Still clipped in.... After enough pain you would think I would clip out faster.  ;D

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Outside Sport/813 Racing
Re: Clip-less in Santos
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:19 PM »
if i am not over my bars at least once a ride, i am surprised.  santos is good for that - it gave me my first cracked helmet
notice has been served - 813 racing is in the house

CrazyWhiteGuy

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:29:09 AM »
I know what you mean JRO, rocks hurt, especially the sharp bumpy ones at santos. It had taken me a while, but you do learn to unclip fast. I usually keep my butt far enough back that I don't endo. So when I do wreck it's going sideways, when that happens the force is usually enough to unclip me.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »
Only run flats if you are freeriding other wise stick it out, you will be much better for it in the end, if you servive! ;D

Trek

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • On Your Left!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
if i am not over my bars at least once a ride, i am surprised.  santos is good for that - it gave me my first cracked helmet

mine too..  really bad in the freeride section, i was trying the last table top jump... pushed a little to hard to clear the top and came down really heavy on the front of my bike and my head... my buddy thought i broke my neck.. lol.. still hear thank god!!!

its funny to watch XC guys do the same jumps that those guys with the huge 8" travel bikes are doing.. just cant get as high, I'm not dropping my seatpost!

-Bob  :D
What's Better Than Riding?

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 09:18:48 AM »
I  know how you feel about being clipped in.  I too have been on them a little over a month.  I have done the slow mo fall enough to have a purple hip!  I keep wanting to go to platforms, but everyone keeps telling me to stick it out.  I really enjoy the power and control, but I believe I would attempt more difficult sections if I knew I could get out or off quicker.  I will try to stick it out, but I think I am going to probably get a pair of 5050's for Gatorback and Moonscape runs.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 09:27:11 AM »
If you have shoes and pedals that you can pedal without being clipped in, unclip with one foot before you get to a hard section.  That way you be ready to step down unil you get confidence.  But it is better to stay clipped in and keep pedaling to keep your momentum.  The unclip with one foot helped me many times when I was getting used to mine.

Trek

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • On Your Left!!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 09:33:04 AM »
I  know how you feel about being clipped in.  I too have been on them a little over a month.  I have done the slow mo fall enough to have a purple hip!  I keep wanting to go to platforms, but everyone keeps telling me to stick it out.  I really enjoy the power and control, but I believe I would attempt more difficult sections if I knew I could get out or off quicker.  I will try to stick it out, but I think I am going to probably get a pair of 5050's for Gatorback and Moonscape runs.

I have a set of Shimano SPD PD-M545 Pedals.. they're used from my wifes bike.. if your interested still have the box and everything... just put some PD-959's on her bike.. she misses the platform and clip but I wont let her go back!   :D   She'll get there..

Let me know if your interested in the pedals.

-Bob

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Time ATAC

They are easy to get in and easy to get out.

Being clipped in on the technical sections of a trail is a huge advantage, once you have mastered clipping in an out without thinking about it.

Gregg
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

EllsRider

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 05:32:40 PM »
Egg beaters for me. Never even think about un-clipping. It's just a natural thing to do. A simple turn of the foot and i'm out. I don't play in the jumps  or drops though.
" Not this time, Lance"

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 08:19:55 PM »
Time ATAC

They are easy to get in and easy to get out.

Being clipped in on the technical sections of a trail is a huge advantage, once you have mastered clipping in an out without thinking about it.

Gregg

I agree. I love my Time's.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

FACTORe

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Outside Sport/813 Racing
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 08:32:34 PM »
these are my babies.....love em

notice has been served - 813 racing is in the house

Trek

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • On Your Left!!
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 08:34:55 PM »
these are my dogs..  didn't know what to think at first.. but i love em now.. soooo much lighter than the spd's i had..

;D

-Bob

Coach

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
I have the Time "Z" pedals.  They are tough as hell and have a platform to use unclipped.  BUT, I am stubborn or stupid (or both) and forget to unclip at the start of a really technical area.  I get so amped that I just try to get through.....then I fall.  I guess I'll just keep trying.
"No good deed goes unpunished" -Coach

Trek

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • On Your Left!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 10:55:38 PM »
thats the best way.. you'll find that your going to start getting through that stuff and not falling, and you have more control because you stayed "clipped" into the pedals.

-Bob  :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 18 queries.