Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hub slipping?  (Read 153 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Hub slipping?
« on: February 21, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »
Hi. I have a mechanical issue. Occasionally, when I stand up to pedal on my mountain bike, the cranks spin as if there is no chain attached. It kind of feels like that sensation you get when you break your chain: no power to the wheel at all. It lasts about half a crank turn and then re-engages. It only happens when I put a lot of downward power on the cranks. The chain is not skipping at all. So far I have not hurt myself, but one time I nearly slammed my face into my handle bars.

About six weeks ago, I bought a new rear wheel (including a new Chris King hub) and added a new cassette and chain. All of it was assembled and installed by professionals. The problem started pretty much right after I got the new wheel and now it seems to be getting a bit worse. Is there something wrong with my new hub? It only has about 400 miles on it. Is it something else? Any thoughts? Many thanks.

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Re: Hub slipping?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
odd problem. only thing which comes to mind...
you said the chain is not slipping (on the cassette) - a new chain can also slip on OLD chain rings in the way you described.
Jeff

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Hub slipping?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 08:44:11 AM »
Just took apart a Chris King hub this weekend that was having the same problem. In this case the ring drive was worn in a few areas and was causing the slip. No fix was found other than replacing the worn parts. Likely caused by play in the axle / hub.

Advertisement: