Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Moving to Tampa, have questions?  (Read 804 times)

Offline Chris Sgaraglino

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
    • My Life on Two Wheels
Moving to Tampa, have questions?
« on: February 28, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
Hello all, I am heading your way and looking into the MTB scene there in and around Tampa. I am currently in Colorado Springs, Colorado and have been here for more than 20 years. I have been cycling on an off for over 30 years, raced downhill professionally and even ran my own bike shop for more than 5 years.

I love cycling, I ride MTB, Road, Cross all year long - yes even int he snow. Anything and everything from flat-ish, to 14,000 foot mountains, lotís of shuttling/downhill rides, as well as 3-4 day bikepacking trips. I live at an elevation of 6,500 feet and can ride anywhere from here up to 14,100 feet (Pikes Peak). At 52 - 5í 8Ē and 220 pounds, I am not as fast as I used to be, but I can still have with the 30 somethings! I typically get in about 1,600 miles a year with a little over 80,000 feet of climbing - honestly though, I am looking forward to more flat terrain, the climbing is not all thatís itís cracked up to be!

I gave up my Giant Reign & Santa Cruz Superlight shortly after I got my Borealis Echo, a carbon Fat Bike that I have absolutely fallen in love with! I have 3 sets of wheels; all carbon 5" fatty for most all mountain dirt and snow riding, a set of aluminum with less aggressive tread for general purpose riding around town on fire roads and pavement, and a set of Stan's Hugo52 29+ with 3" Dirt Wizards for the longer singletrack rides, bikepacking and touring trips.

I am a realist and do understand that Florida is way different than Colorado in many different way including climate, terrain, technicality, temperament and even rider attitude! You guys seem to be way more laid-back and just want to have fun on the trails riding your bike - not so much the case here! I am also highly looking forward to MTB rides that don't start on a hill, end on a hill and require 1,000 feet of climbing every 6-7 miles; the mountains can be a bitch sometimes!

With that said, I do have some basic questions and riding in Florida:

1. Trail surface & conditions: Here the trails are mostly crushed Granite & hard packed dirt (donít crash), but still require a decently aggressive tread to balance grip and float on the downhill portions which can reach speeds of 25-30 mph. I see via Strava that some of your rides do have some speed associated with them - but it looks like accelerated vs gravity feed. What is the typical trail surface made of and what's the best "kind/tread" of tires for the majority of the MTB riding?

2. Trail Ratings: Being that I am in the mountains and face a huge diversity of terrain and altitude on each ride, rating trails is extremely difficult and one can get themselves into trouble really quick if the don't do their homework and only rely on word of mouth. While here I may have to climb 1,500 feet, I also have the 1,500 foot descend for recuperation; The flatter trails seem to be an all out full peddle ride, which can be difficult in it's own right. How are your trails rated, and is that somewhat consistent across all groups?

3. Technicality: When you guys mention that a trail is "technically difficult" - what does that actually mean?

4. Beach riding: Totally new to me, what is the "beach riding like? Are there designated trails, is it wide open, is it even allowed? What consideration/precautions should I be aware of?

5. What's the "theft" situation like? Here is horrible! I love jumping on my bike and heading out on a light ride and lunch with my wife, or even put on the BOB trailer and run all my errands. Here, if we ride into town for a park ride & lunch and lock a bike up on a restaurant railing it will last all of 3 minutes before stolen (no joke). In downtown there even have been cyclists that have been bike-jacked at gun point just for their bikes! So those of us that do ride into town, we have descent Craig's List bikes that we have "modified" to look like sh*t bikes and they typically get left alone - so sad!

I know this is a long post with a lot of questions, but i am excited to get there and ride some new placed and terrain, I am all about the adventure!

Thanks again in advance for the help!

Chris Sgaraglino

Here's a few links to some of my riding:

My stats fell last year when my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, but this year I should/hope to be back more aggressively!
Full Stats: http://veloviewer.com/athlete/3232183/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/chrissgaraglino
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ChrisSgaraglino
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/3232183
Ride with GPS: https://ridewithgps.com/users/535203

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:39:56 AM by Chris Sgaraglino »
Heading to Tampa Summer 17'

Chris Sgaraglino,
My Life on Two Wheels
http://www.mlotw.com

Offline WaTT$laYeR

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Pivot SwitchBlade 29er, WaltWorks 29er,Scott Scale 29r, Cannondale EVO
Re: Moving to Tampa, have questions?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the trails you find in our area, mostly built on  old phosphate dig sites, lots of punchy rollers, more topo than you would expect.
The tech features come from these type of features with roots and introduced rocks added for your enjoyment.
The base is primarily sand but there is a bunch of clay/limerock hard pack too.
Typical tires are fast rollers like RaRa's, Ground controls, etc.
Most beaches permit riding.
Unfortunately we have thieves too, use common sense, never leave bike unattended in public places.
Welcome to the swamp, I accepted a facebook friend invitation from you this morning:0)
Scott

Offline DW.allthethings

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Dakota Ridge - Red Rocks Trail, Golden CO
  • My Bike: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 02:17:46 PM »
Agreed on all accounts. Welcome to the area.

The riding here will surprise you. The local clubs (i.e SWAMP) have some great trail designers and they make the most of the limited elevation we have. Within an hour of Tampa are 6 or 7 trail systems and 3 or 4 of them have national acclaim. Santos, Alafia, Loyce Harpe, and Balm Boyette should be your first stops.

Offline ApolloMike

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 06:46:35 AM »
Riding here is a blast. Short punchy ups and downs. No, we don't have sustained 3 mile climbs, but there is elevation change. I did a 13 mile ride yesterday at Alafia, and my Garmin showed 1000 ft.
Also, we aren't that far for weekend trips to GA/SC/NC/TN. Seven to nine hours drive, and you are in prime east coast mountains.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2016 Trek Remedy Carbon 9.8 29er, 2013 Kona Unit
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2016 Trek Remedy Carbon 9.8 29er, 2013 Kona Unit
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"