Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Anyone ride fixed gear offroad?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Anyone ride fixed gear offroad?
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
Curious if anyone has experimented riding fixed gear on our local trails. If so, what gearing do you run compared to your regular single setup?

I am thinking of giving a tommycog a shot (it is a cog that bolts in place of your rotor instead of having to go with a flip flop hub). A fixed gear could be pretty fun out at Croom or WP.

naked indian

Re: Anyone ride fixed gear offroad?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:59:33 PM »
Curious if anyone has experimented riding fixed gear on our local trails. If so, what gearing do you run compared to your regular single setup?

I am thinking of giving a tommycog a shot (it is a cog that bolts in place of your rotor instead of having to go with a flip flop hub). A fixed gear could be pretty fun out at Croom or WP.

Im hardly an expert, but I ran the same set up as on my single.

Tommycogs are great thats how I started.  Its alot of fun and a  great work out, cant wait to rebuild my fixie.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:14:04 PM »
Did you have any chainline issues with the tommycog...or did it give you pretty much the same line as the freewheel side?

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »
Did you have any chainline issues with the tommycog...or did it give you pretty much the same line as the freewheel side?

No chainline issues, the only difference is getting the chain tightness right.  with an SS you can tigthen the hell out of a chain, with a fixie you got to toy with it, so its tight but does not bind, let me know if you need any pointers on techniques or how tos with the chain.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I'll definately shoot you a PM with any questions.

Do you have any issues with pedal strikes?  Also, when you ran fixed what cog and chainring size did you use? 

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:25:49 PM »
There's a pretty long thread on this stashed away somewhere on the flfixed.com board.

Advertisement: