SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 12:23:45 PM] FACTORe: I guess mtbers didn't want to go all metric

[Today at 12:23:57 PM] Dan-o: when is the how not to puke class?

[Today at 12:24:44 PM] Dan-o: im curing my bonking issue already

[Today at 12:26:32 PM] FACTORe: tomorrow morning at san antonio - 7am

[Today at 12:26:39 PM] FACTORe: 65-70 miles

[Today at 12:26:46 PM] FACTORe: 3k feet of climbing

[Today at 12:26:50 PM] FACTORe: don't puke

[Today at 12:27:34 PM] Dan-o: yeah, ill be on my first cup  of coffee when someone pukes

[Today at 12:27:49 PM] Dan-o: read about that later

[Today at 12:28:09 PM] Dan-o: no road for me

[Today at 12:28:17 PM] Dan-o: im a mtber

[Today at 12:28:58 PM] Dan-o: cause i dont own a roadbike .......................................yet

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums - Please login and join our community.
Anyone can register here for free and login for access to additional boards and topics.  Look near the top left of this page for the register or login links.  SWAMP mountain bike club members have additional access to trail maps and club business topics.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless question  (Read 635 times)

bikehard

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Clipless question
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 07:34:57 PM »
You really cant go wrong with either Crank Brothers or Time's.  The Time Atac XS are nice because you can adjust the tension to the frt and rear bars as well as the release angle (angle at which it takes to un-clip).  I think Crank Bro's also give the option to adjust the angle for release (unclipping).

I run the Time's Atac XS and love em.

Just decide if you want a big platform likethe ones you just posted or a more minimalist design like the Atacs or Eggbeaters.

Personally I do not see the need for huge platforms in FL.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »
Hi all !  I have a pair of time atacs and cleats I will let you borrow to try out.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Ok, so why would these http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php not be a good choice for Boyette/Alafia/Carter riding?  This things seem to be highly-rated for all-mountain kind of stuff...any thoughts?
Still have to dig into the Time stuff...

I've used all different kind of pedals in the last 10yrs i've been riding, just like 99% of the people when they start riding  i also used SPD's, every level you can imagine SPD Makes, but i've never felt more comfortable then when i started using Crank Bros. CB has either a 15 or 20 degree release point depending what shoe you decide to put the dotted cleat with.

I suggest thay you try them all out before you go spending big $$$ on a pair of pedals you'll be sick of in a couple of years.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
Times all the way!!!!  ;D , Egg beaters are for weight weenies that like to go down with the bike....

??? I've scaped many wipeouts, never once gotten stuck & no weight weenie here.... the latest one being 3 weeks ago @ the landbridge when i rode right into a 4ft banana spider.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2009, 08:58:22 PM »
Ok, so why would these [url=http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php]http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php[/url] not be a good choice for Boyette/Alafia/Carter riding?  This things seem to be highly-rated for all-mountain kind of stuff...any thoughts?

You'll get sick of these quick. too much pedal and you'll have alot of trouble clipping in.

jmdeluca05

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Ok, so why would these [url=http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php]http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php[/url] not be a good choice for Boyette/Alafia/Carter riding?  This things seem to be highly-rated for all-mountain kind of stuff...any thoughts?

You'll get sick of these quick. too much pedal and you'll have alot of trouble clipping in.

I have used pretty much every pedal, and the eggbeaters SL work best for me.  The pros are they are simple no adjustments to mess with, and once again you don't have to worry about becoming unclipped.  They are very durable....I have smashed them into some pretty good sized rocks and no damage.  The cons are there is a learning curve.  You have to get used to clipping in very quickly, as you have no platform for support.  They are not an entry level pedal. 

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
Ok, so why would these http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php[/] not be a good choice for Boyette/Alafia/Carter riding?  This things seem to be highly-rated for all-mountain kind of stuff...any thoughts?

I agree, this has too much platform...The first muddy ride, you will be cursing them.
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 09:21:39 PM »
Times all the way!!!!  ;D , Egg beaters are for weight weenies that like to go down with the bike....

??? I've scaped many wipeouts, never once gotten stuck & no weight weenie here.... the latest one being 3 weeks ago @ the landbridge when i rode right into a 4ft banana spider.

I was just kidding... I prefer some platform and dont care much about wieght. I have heard some say (Gregg) the reason they went to egg beaters was weight. I like the way the Times release better for me and offer just enough platform for my big fat feet.. 
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »

I was just kidding... I prefer some platform and dont care much about wieght. I have heard some say (Gregg) the reason they went to egg beaters was weight. I like the way the Times release better for me and offer just enough platform for my big fat feet..

I definitely understand wanting so platform. This is the first set of pedals that have had that don't.

If you really feel you need a platform then there is nothing like the Time Atacs they are fantastic pedals.
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2009, 09:37:04 PM »
This thread is a platform for some.....
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:52 PM »

nah the other thread is a pulpit.....:)

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »
i feel like i need a lil platform cause i ride with my dog wearing flip flops..

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »
i feel like i need a lil platform cause i ride with my dog wearing flip flops..

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7twU1ZdyAE#]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7twU1ZdyAE#[/url]

Somehow I bet that there are some videos taken with that camera, that you don't want to post....at least not on this site......???

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
I tried the Eggbeater sl's a couple of years ago due to their weight savings and open (mud shedding) design. As much as I wanted to like them, they just were not consistent clipping in or out. After trying shoes, shims, etc: I gave up the CB experiment and went back to my tried and true SPD's.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

nah the other thread is a pulpit..... :)

Did you say Pulpit??? Oh no you didn't!!!!!!! :D
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 19 queries.