SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 04:39:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: got it so the road course is a lil dirty

[Today at 04:42:39 PM] FACTORe: yes - of the 7 miles loop almost 2 of ti is dirty

[Today at 04:43:15 PM] FACTORe: I got some 24mm's kevlar belt for this race and webster - the 22s would not be good

[Today at 04:44:17 PM] FACTORe: that is as big a tire I can run with my frame clearance

[Today at 04:46:10 PM] Singletrack Samurai: cool.. should be a good time, I used to ride my road bike on dirt roads all th time I love hitting a dirty corner at 17Plus, can you say DRIFT

[Today at 04:46:43 PM] FACTORe: the dirt road looked pretty packed

[Today at 04:46:56 PM] FACTORe: I dont think they would have us ride 6 inch deep sugar sand

[Today at 04:48:59 PM] Singletrack Samurai: nah the roads I used to go on where packed as well, it was FUN, i would tell people and they thought I was crazy for riding my road bike on dirt roads

[Today at 04:49:40 PM] Singletrack Samurai: you can go just as fast as you want too, there is a little resistance there and you got to expect the drift in the corners if your really haulin

[Today at 04:51:54 PM] FACTORe: sounds like a blast - I am racing with cat 3s for the first time so we will be haulin (they will be anyway and I plan on trying to keep up)

[Today at 04:54:31 PM] Singletrack Samurai: DO IT

[Today at 05:03:29 PM] FACTORe: so - after talking it over with a few folks - actually going to run the tubulars instead and run them down in pressure a bit - cant do that with clinchers because of pinch flats

Advanced search  

News:

The purpose of this forum is to provide mountain bikers a place to have civil conversations and learn or teach mtb'ing. The best place for dirt and mud is on the trails.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?  (Read 1384 times)

treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
Re: Why Doesn't the World Ride on a Rigid Single Speed?
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »

I am so happy that I am back in the mid-atlantic region.....ssrigid29er friendly biking community....unlike where I spent the last 4 years.....so late in the learning curve ;)

syadasti

• First Bike
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »

I am so happy that I am back in the mid-atlantic region.....ssrigid29er friendly biking community....unlike where I spent the last 4 years.....so late in the learning curve ;)

FL is more suited for 29ers than the mid-atlantic area but 29ers MTBs have been around for nearly 30 years:

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »

Must be wheel envy.

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2010, 11:23:34 PM »

it seems as though i've been summoned back to the thread i began. i have lots to say. i'll start here: this thread was not meant to offend anyone and maybe at the same time it was.

::)  it was simply a metaphor for somethings i've been going through and perhaps how i could remember a simpler time. yes i ride a rigid single speed. i ride it because it reminds me of a simpler time. too often things get way over complicated. just like this post did.

>:(  now, enough of that crap. on to the offensive part. i ride a single speed because i am better than most of you and i enjoy putting that out there. thats why single speeders ride them. cause i can ride the same trails you do with one gear and no suspension. i ride it all day. race it for a 100 miles or how ever far you're willing to go. now there are lots of guys on this forum who are just as fast or faster and some are better riders. but i enjoy looking at them from my trusty rigid single speed. cause they know that it might kill me, but i'm going to stay with them for as long as i can.

8)  single speeds are masochistic. thats part of the fun. punishment. riding it rigid just adds to it. and it gives you a sense of accomplishment. let me tell you... even single speeders respect guys hammering on rigid's it's tough! some guys on here said they enjoy pushing themselves. and gears, suspension and all that other noisy crap does not allow you to push yourself. i don't know, may be it does.. it didn't for me. it made it easier. i did the same 100 mile race on a geared hard-tail and on a rigid single speed and i was 1 hour 20 minutes faster on a single speed. and i was probably stronger when i rode the geared bike. but i didn't push myself cause i had all those gears to make things easier for me..

now having said that. i ride it because it's pure. if you have never ridden a single speed you'd never know. but as kids we all grew up riding single speeds. some of them were fixe's or with coaster brakes... man those where the good ole' days!

ultimately, i hope this thread makes you mad. i hope it makes you want to ride more. i hope it makes you want to ride faster. and i hope it makes you consider, "can i ride these trails on a bike with one gear"...
and the next time some guy or gal on a single speed comes blasting up behind you on a climb, get out of there way, cause they can't shift and track standing on a climb is fun.. but only for a second..

in conclusion. i love you all.. well, not really, but you all ride so you're all ok in my book. see you on the trails. just watch out for me and Homer.. -bob  8)

the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »

SS rulzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!! i'm sold!!!! 8)  I am going out on mine for my next ride!

Luis

• SWAMPer
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2010, 06:19:41 AM »

it seems as though i've been summoned back to the thread i began. i have lots to say. i'll start here: this thread was not meant to offend anyone and maybe at the same time it was.

::)  it was simply a metaphor for somethings i've been going through and perhaps how i could remember a simpler time. yes i ride a rigid single speed. i ride it because it reminds me of a simpler time. too often things get way over complicated. just like this post did.

>:(  now, enough of that crap. on to the offensive part. i ride a single speed because i am better than most of you and i enjoy putting that out there. thats why single speeders ride them. cause i can ride the same trails you do with one gear and no suspension. i ride it all day. race it for a 100 miles or how ever far you're willing to go. now there are lots of guys on this forum who are just as fast or faster and some are better riders. but i enjoy looking at them from my trusty rigid single speed. cause they know that it might kill me, but i'm going to stay with them for as long as i can.

8)  single speeds are masochistic. thats part of the fun. punishment. riding it rigid just adds to it. and it gives you a sense of accomplishment. let me tell you... even single speeders respect guys hammering on rigid's it's tough! some guys on here said they enjoy pushing themselves. and gears, suspension and all that other noisy crap does not allow you to push yourself. i don't know, may be it does.. it didn't for me. it made it easier. i did the same 100 mile race on a geared hard-tail and on a rigid single speed and i was 1 hour 20 minutes faster on a single speed. and i was probably stronger when i rode the geared bike. but i didn't push myself cause i had all those gears to make things easier for me..

now having said that. i ride it because it's pure. if you have never ridden a single speed you'd never know. but as kids we all grew up riding single speeds. some of them were fixe's or with coaster brakes... man those where the good ole' days!

ultimately, i hope this thread makes you mad. i hope it makes you want to ride more. i hope it makes you want to ride faster. and i hope it makes you consider, "can i ride these trails on a bike with one gear"...
and the next time some guy or gal on a single speed comes blasting up behind you on a climb, get out of there way, cause they can't shift and track standing on a climb is fun.. but only for a second..

in conclusion. i love you all.. well, not really, but you all ride so you're all ok in my book. see you on the trails. just watch out for me and Homer.. -bob  8)

I love you Bob... well said.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »

I need a Niner SS, please build me one :-*

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2010, 10:19:32 AM »

Some of you guys take yourselves WAY too serious...  ;D  I really love these kinds of threads....  :D
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Singletrack Samurai

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2010, 10:21:58 AM »

Some of you guys take yourselves WAY too serious...  ;D  I really love these kinds of threads....  :D

You DO include yourself in that statement dont you?

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »

this is actually getting pretty funny!

Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2010, 10:28:49 AM »

You DO include yourself in that statement dont you?

Of Course I do!
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Chuckona

• First Bike
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »

Pshh! I ride roller skates.
"AIRBORNE"

VELOMATT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Have a nice day!!!
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »

"Pshh! I ride roller skates."

The 2x2 kind or roller blades?
Gears??? We don't need no STINKING GEARS!!!

Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »

i'm going to have to say the 2x2 kind... with the high socks and the weird strips at the top! may be a sweat band too...

O0

Moto Ace

• SWAMPer
  • First Bike
    • Yup.... since 1999
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2010, 11:41:35 PM »

"the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!"

That is not what Bob was thinking when he and I rode in Ellijay back around 2001.
We had some good battles up the mountain.

Ted
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 18 queries.