Author Topic: going partial SS?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline jmdeluca05

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: going partial SS?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Either disconnect the front derailer, or slap on a new one ring crank.  Simple

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 12:12:44 PM »
The tension from the rear d will not keep the chain on the front, trust me on this. At the very least you need to leave the front d in place and lock into one position. That will work for most stuff but you may still loose the chain once in awhile.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
I don't think I explained myself very well. I saw this on a downhill bike while I was looking up stuff which is what got me thinking again.
ok so a Bashguard/big gear stops the chain from jumping to the righton most bikes, the derailer is supposed to keep it from going to the left but doesn't alway do that. but if there was a bashguard on both sides of the middle ring then it couldn't move left or right it would just stay on the middle ring and I wouldn't need a tensioner right?
the DH bike I saw was using aluminum plates on either side , but then again it was a tough looking rig, almost a dirtbike just no motor.
I'm just thinking outloud here guys if I do try it later I'll let you know if it works.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 02:30:41 PM »
I double bashgaurd setup would help, but you you still need to keep tension on the chain or it could jump over the bashguards.  Even the double bashguard guides still have tensioners (the bottom roller in attached link) to keep the chain tensioned as well as a way of enclosing the top of the guide (the top roller in the attached link) - http://www.mountainspeed.com/product.php?section=product&item=sys1_2
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Reese

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 02:45:03 PM »
I really don't understand the point of what you are trying to do.  If you are trying to save weight, taking off the two chain rings and putting on 2 bash guards will add weight.  If you are accidentally shifting with the left shifters try moving them further in on the bars.  but as others have said, if you ever go to the mountains or even up to san felasco for a 50+ mile ride, you may wish you had that granny gear.

Luis

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »
if you ever go to the mountains or even up to san felasco for a 50+ mile ride, you may wish you had that granny gear.

::)

There is no point...

silentneko read my post above: bashguard, n-gear jumpstop, short cage rear der.... you should not have any problems.

I'm liking my 1 x 9 setup so far, nice change to be able to pedal a normal cadence on the flats instead of spinning my butt off.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
I'm looking at the parts online, and it seems for some reason its more expensive to switch to a single chain rinf then to upgrade the front derailer and ring set. this seems backwards to me, but I guess I'll be sticking to 24 speeds for now.
Exactly so just upgrade your front derailleur and rings.
But for now just stay on whatever gear combo works.

Offline MT

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • The rider formerly known as mtbker1224
    • Escape the Daily Grind
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 04:57:09 PM »
...or even up to san felasco for a 50+ mile ride, you may wish you had that granny gear.

A granny gear at Felasco... for what?

Dude, do YOUR thing! I'm thinking about setting up my Karate Monkey as a full rigid 1x9, so let me know how things work out for you.

Offline Reese

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
...or even up to san felasco for a 50+ mile ride, you may wish you had that granny gear.

A granny gear at Felasco... for what?

Dude, do YOUR thing! I'm thinking about setting up my Karate Monkey as a full rigid 1x9, so let me know how things work out for you.

Was just a suggestion, I dont know what his riding level is.  I dont need granny gear, but others may.  Some of those powerline climbs on the tour de felasco can be pretty rough, like the one that was a downhill this year that was a climb last year. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
I cleaned that climb on my SS last year. Once I knew I wasn't gonna puke I was pretty happy. :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 06:59:24 AM »
luis, you have almost come all of the way around! I will give it some time... ;) ;D