This 3 hour introduction to off-road bicycling will cover Basic Mountain Bike Concepts and Techniques, including:
Discussion and Demonstration of:
- Proper Bike Set-Up (Seat position, tire pressure, brakes, etc.)
- Gears - Why so many, when to use 'em
- Trailside bike repair
- Trail Etiquette
The Instructor will demonstrate, and class will practice:
- Braking Techniques
- Shifting all those gears
- Climbing and descending hills
- Negotiating sand, mud, logs, and other fun stuff
A Basic Training Session will be held on the first Sunday of each month January through November, in Tampa's Trout Creek Park, usually beginning at 9:00 AM. Class will be limited to 10 cyclists with a minimum of 5 needed to hold a class.
Reservations must be made by the Wednesday preceding the Class.
Cost of the three hour class is $20 per person. Anyone can take this course.
Topics include proper bike fit, balance, weight distribution, gearing, cadence and braking, and how they are applied to off-road riding. Training will take place in Morris Bridge Park. The skills taught will allow you to progress from a ‘C’ level rider to a ‘B- or B’ level.
Requirements for the class:
- Bicycle (off-road bike) must be in good working condition
- Rider must have a helmet and water (a snack is suggested too).
- Rider should be familiar with his/her bike (please do not make this your first ride on a Mountain Bike)
- Rider should be physically capable of riding 6-9 miles off-road (class stops often during training)
- Optional but suggested gear: spare tube, portable air pump, and tools (we will discuss what you need in class)