Author Topic: Gatorback needs some lovin'!!  (Read 4746 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • My Bike: 2007 Bianchi RITA 29er - 32x18 (SS)
Re: Gatorback needs some lovin'!!
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2009, 06:41:27 AM »
Well said SFG... this is what I have been listening to for years.. everyone rides, quite a few complain and only a FEW come out and help.   We do all the work, they get the rewards of our labor. Sounds like a good deal to me. Ride for FREE, wish I could be part of that club. Never Mind, I'm not that kind of mountain biker.

Gee, $20 Swamp membership; $120 park membership; doing my part to maintain the trails while I ride (moving downed trees; fixing trails I ride on my own time; etc.)...that doesn't sound like the FREE club to me ;)

Not to mention I don't have the luxury of extended time with my family (which is No. 1 to me).  I have 3 kids under the age of 3 and I work from 730 - 6 everyday.  So forgive me if spending what little time I DO have with my wife riding our MTBs is more important than the trails I PAY to ride.

Due to the recent summer rain conditions, I believe that Gatorback has eroded to a point of danger to its riders.  Despite potential injury, the flow of the trail is wrecked, making it a 50% walking trail at this point.

Anyone else been out and seen the conditions of the trail?  Not safe IMHO.

Does that sound like complaining???  Did I come on here and say, "you guys suck...when are you doing to fix the trails"???  Am I ungrateful for all the hard work that everyone who can puts forth???  NO.  I wasn't complaining about the trail conditions...just mentioned that it was in bad condition from all the rain and mentioned it should be closed due mainly to safety issues.

Off MY soapbox now...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:52:03 AM by cgarolr »
It's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.  Then it's just a game: FIND THE EYE!!!

My cigar rolling business is for sale!  Email for details!   www.CigarCreations.com

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
cgarolr, I don't think that was aimed at you personally. Sorry to hear that you were under the weather.  Hope all is better now.  I had a case of the chest bugs a while back and it is no fun!

The comments you read were more of a general feeling expressed quite possibly with some frustration, so it could be misconstrued as aimed at one particular individual.  There are quite a few folks who ride often and aren't so inclined to pitch in and help while we, collectively, are in the worst part of the season to keep the trails up and in good condition.  This is a daunting task that requires many, many hours of repair work and redo's so the trail hopefully doesn't have to be revisited with a smaller than needed crew of volunteers.

It is true, across the board, no matter where you go that volunteer trail crews are short on volunteers.  But volunteer riders are an enormous lot. It takes but only a few weekends to see the balance of users and repair workers to be woefully out of balance.

It is also understood that not everyone can give of their free time because for one reason or another some folks don't have such a thing.  That is not who the post was aimed at.

If more folks offered up free time they do have once in a while, and like the rest of us who give up free time often, trail maintenance wouldn't seem so much like unappreciated work. 

Not saying that it is. 

Just saying, seeing the same folks week after week ride by while you are slaving away in the hot sun to make it better for everyone, certainly one can see where the frustration stems from.

Passing soap box...

Sorry all, I was out sick this week at work with me and my kids having a deep chest colds and just wasn't really up for hard manual labor given my condition...wow, you guys sure can jump to conclusions/automatically think the worst of someone and be pretty harsh around here...[/][/]
[][]
[/]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:54:23 PM by Garry »

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
I know the frustration of a closed trail as much as the next person.  We collectively opted to close Ridgeline at Boyette and as is often the case the lower trails at Morris Bridge get closed every rainy season.  The sole purpose of the closing of these trails is to protect the sensitive soils that are there, protect the riders from getting injured, and to avoid making an already lengthy repair job even more.

It is understood to shy away from ever closing a trail, but sometimes it is in the best interest of said trail to do so to mitigate further damage.

The way to avoid this is to have an active crew of volunteers ready to offer their free time to help get it fixed and reopened as quick as sensibly possible.  Not everyone can join in on this effort because of schedule and time restraints, but there are certainly a larger pool of users that are available to help in the efforts it takes to keep jewels like this available and in good riding condition to ride in the first place.

These are people like ::you and me::  people who love to ride.  People who love the adventure of these trails.  People who can make a difference on the condition of the trails we all enjoy.

My schedule doesn't always allow me to be there to tackle the task at hand, but I am there whenever I can.  For years I was never able to make workdays, and that was okay.  But when my time was available I was quick to give back as much as I could to the huge volume of trails I enjoy on my rides.

That's all that's being asked of anyone.  So you and I give up a handfull of weekends a year to make a difference.  How bad can that be?

If a trail needs to be closed because it is in need of repair, then why not we who enjoy it, go in and fix it?  Not active in the racing season? Not enjoying limited time with family and kids?  Not working that day and can offer up?

Welcome, we need you!

G
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:12:45 PM by Garry »

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 02:23:21 PM »

Quote from: cgarolr on August 22, 2009, 01:04:56 PMDue to the recent summer rain conditions, I believe that Gatorback has eroded to a point of danger to its riders.  Despite potential injury, the flow of the trail is wrecked, making it a 50% walking trail at this point.

Anyone else been out and seen the conditions of the trail?  Not safe IMHO.

Does that sound like complaining???

No, sounds like an observation.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2009, 07:08:07 PM »
Any word on conditions at Alafia? Have a buddy who flew in from DC to ride and don't want to take him to a mudfest. I also don't want to be in the way if a trail crew ends up working out there tomorrow.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2009, 08:57:16 PM »
From what I saw at yesterday's workday, I didn't see much mud.  GatorBack beginning and end got a lot of work, and Whoops on Bridges got worked, plus filled in a mudhole near the end.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Derek

• First Bike
Gatorback
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 12:29:49 AM »
Rode it last sunday (October 17th), a little bit of overgrowth in the beggining, also one part where you come out of the turn into a climb uphill is horrendous. The trail has been just eroded & its impossible to climb the rest of the trail was good, its still a great trail hopefully they dont close it.
Downhill/Trail Riding- Specialized Enduro 05
Trail Riding - Giant Yukon FX 09
Dirt Jumping/Freeriding - Specialized P2 09