Author Topic: Gatorback needs some lovin'!!  (Read 4748 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Clipless Mountain Goat
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • My Bike: 2007 Bianchi RITA 29er - 32x18 (SS)
Gatorback needs some lovin'!!
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:04:56 PM »
Due to the recent summer rain conditions, I believe that Gatorback has eroded to a point of danger to its riders.  Despite potential injury, the flow of the trail is wrecked, making it a 50% walking trail at this point.

Anyone else been out and seen the conditions of the trail?  Not safe IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:04:39 PM by KRUNNCHERO »
It's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.  Then it's just a game: FIND THE EYE!!!

My cigar rolling business is for sale!  Email for details!   www.CigarCreations.com

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Gatorback needs some lovin'!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »
Kris was supposed to go out and check it out today. Most people don't ride it in the summer anyway. I'll probably call Art later and see what he thinks, maybe he can call the rangers and have them close it. We'll see.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 03:30:49 PM »
Kris was supposed to go out and check it out today. Most people don't ride it in the summer anyway. I'll probably call Art later and see what he thinks, maybe he can call the rangers and have them close it. We'll see.

Kris did check it out today...I'll let him respond as I didn't hit that trail with him, but I saw him after and it wasn't a pretty site.  I think he's probably home by now pumped up with ibruprofen or something stronger.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
Gatorback has been in bad shape for a while now. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline kj

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Vassago
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
I concur on the condition making it dangerous.

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 07:12:43 PM »
Last time it was closed , it almost wasn't reopened again. I would be leary of  this course of action. Why not get a group together and put some work into it and make it rideable. Then in the winter go back in and armor the areas that eroded this summer with rock and pavers. I am sure it would not take much to fix the worst of it.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 09:34:07 PM »
I rode it today. It is really rough but I'd also be scared to close it. If it is dry I'll ride it for sure and then post how easy it was.......cgarolr, that is your cue  :D  <-------note mood signal.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline cgarolr

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 09:36:03 PM »
Oh, I can still clean it, but I worry about those novice riders (i.e. catman)
It's all fun and games 'til someone loses an eye.  Then it's just a game: FIND THE EYE!!!

My cigar rolling business is for sale!  Email for details!   www.CigarCreations.com

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »
Good one! Now we are back on track.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
Do not close a trail because you either have to walk it or because you think it is potentially dangerous. Instead form a different, more productive 'reaction' and get a group out there to fix it. I took one moderate spill today and one very painful spill that bent my front rim and left scratches, bruises, and marks throughout my body. That being said, I understand the implications of the trail and its capacity. I do agree it is dangerous, but closing a trail is not the answer here.

I did walk it or fall down it today Jason… The first two climbs are not rideable, the downhill we rock walled that one day is toast, the long climb out is toast, and one of the last few downhills is toast. It needs work, but don't close a trail that adds even a remote amount of difficulty to other wise easy trail system.

Jason & Art - form a advanced work group and lets get it coordinated in the next few weekends and fix this trail.

We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
I thought you were trying to kill yourself out there today. Loved how your Dad was telling you to tighted up your helmet :D

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:47:15 PM »
I don't like to not complete a up hill/downhill correctly. I will be riding that one downhill again once I get my front wheel trued.

P.S. I am going to invest in a VERY good front brake now. Formula Megas are in my sights. I locked up the front brake and the rear brake and I was just sliding on the rotors (no tires locked up). F'that - a really good front brake today could have saved me from a lot of pain.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 09:59:19 PM »
Let me get in touch with Art, maybe we can make a project out of this on Labor Day weekend.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 06:14:35 AM »
Can I make a request that we never ever make another thread called "'anytrail' should be closed"?  The title made me feel hostile.

Offline cgarolr

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:30 AM »
Can I make a request that we never ever make another thread called "'anytrail' should be closed"?  The title made me feel hostile.

Got people talking and organizing for a fix of the trail, which was more the point without directly coming out and saying it!